Star Trek Beyond

Options
D2Lo
D2Lo Posts: 352
Anyone see the new one yet? I don't think it as as good as the last two, but still enjoyable.

41rgaqlttzlu.jpg

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    It took in some 50 million less than a freeking cartoon, which is unusual, and the studio seems to not be hyping this movie at all. That speaks volumes.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited July 2016
    Options
    not sure about that N John, FX has been running Chris Pine movies all weekend including the last two Trek movies. but also lots of the fan base here in California are at the Comi Con event in San Diego.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • D2Lo
    D2Lo Posts: 352
    edited July 2016
    Options
    It definitely wasn't as good or a clever or nuanced
    as Into Darkness... but still, and enjoyable couple of hours at the movies.

6r8zfoczwjdg.jpg
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited July 2016
    Options
    Sorry to hear it isn't as good as the first few. Been a trekky since I was a kid. My dad would get original Star Trek vhs tapes from Columbia house video. Anyone remember them? Anyway.. Grew up watching start trek and love them, the new series have done a great job of attracting non-Trekkies. And for those that don't know the whole story can still watch them and enjoy them.

Not like start wars, how long can they repeat the same story. Seriously folks, I like them
    Though.

Haven't watched the new one, looking forward to it despite the comments above.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Haven't watched the new one, still looking forward to it despite the comments above.

Me too.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    I liked the new one. Fun ride and not a lot of down time. First 3D movie I've seen since Avatar.
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    It was a good movie, it was somewhat like the the original TV series. Quite entertaining.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    I liked it, hard to compare. I like the new Spock especially. The director's style has that very high-paced action style that's very common currently, but differs greatly from the style of the originals of course. I would say that the story line lacks the Harlan Ellison type depth of writing that was the hallmark of most of the originals, if I had any criticism, but overall a fun ride like Deronb1 said.
  • StantonZ
    StantonZ Posts: 439
    Options
    I liked it and don't know why it isn't doing as well as the first 2. I also agree the story line is reminiscent of the original TV series (which is a good thing).
    Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR (5.0.2); LG OLED77C2 4K TV
    (4) Polk Monitor 10B's w/SoniCaps, Mills, and RDO-194 tweets (R/L F/R)
    (2) Polk RC80i (Top Middle)
    Polk CS300 center channel
    Analog: B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
    Digital: Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD Blu-Ray
    Bedroom: Arylic Up2Stream AMPv3 driving Polk Monitor 4's w/peerless tweets
  • Nightfall
    edited August 2016
    Options
    It reminded me of a modern day take on the Borg. Many operating in unison, a collective. I liked it, awesome movie.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    I have to stop reading this thread since I am waiting for the Blue Ray. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    We were going to go see this new one, but had to watch both of the "First" two, as I was informed they were quite different than all the Star Trek Leading up to them.

We watched both over the last few days, and while I am quite certain they gained a new audience, the style favored a much more "younger person" look with quick edits, tilted filming angles, lots of action and running etc.

Sadly I feel (after not seeing much Trek over the last several years) it has morphed into something I am no able to feel comfortable with.

A decent bit of the older stuff was not great either, but I feel it lost what made it special, and bombast, action, running are the main focus. Too stylized for me and not in a cool good way.

So we may still see it, to just say we did, but I do not feel the commitment.

The "Newish" actors seem okay, but I guess the scripting and directing are pulling it towards a new format that will be something mostly younger people feel fulfills a summer action movie format.
  • recoveryone
    Options
    Saw it lastnight, good but not great
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    Saw it lastnight, good but not great

I sorta felt that way about the first two "new" Trek movies.

Nothing great story wise, not really memorable, more like a big budget special effects and action movie.........sucks to get older!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I'm old enough, that I watched the original series 1st run, not reruns. I think the re-boot is great. I've enjoyed all three. I think the new actors are great, and it has a more modern feel to it. JJ Abrams has a unique style that's not for everyone.
    I enjoyed the new Star Wars also.
    I love all the old shows and spin-offs, this is a fresh look.
    I don't get too deep into Star Trek Canon or plot holes. I just let it kind of wash over me, enjoy it for what it is. I have all the old ST movies, and the 1st two of the reboot. I'll own this one when it's available.
    Same for SW, I own them all.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    . We watched both over the last few days, and while I am quite certain they gained a new audience, the style favored a much more "younger person" look with quick edits, tilted filming angles, lots of action and running etc.

LOL. Of course that is the audience. Or those young at heart.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    edited August 2016
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    LOL. Of course that is the audience. Or those young at heart.
    Today, I am more young at f a r t...
    Can't believe that word is censored...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    Saw and enjoyed the latest but the overall feeling was it was more of the same formula as the past two reboot movies and starting to get tired. The actors and franchise have much more in them if they could find some inspired story.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    They really should get Jonathan Frakes to direct one of these reboot movies finally.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I just wish they would have let Mr. Spock read the early script, there were some fairly large holes in the plot logic.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Swauger's a Trekkie!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Live long and prosper. I was watching them when they were first broadcast, the girl I was dating wouldn't go out until after Star Trek was over. Crazy for Mr. Spock!
  • lightman1
    Options
    Caught em in reruns in the early '70's, Ken. ;)
    Closet Trekkie myself. Keep it on the downlow.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Caught em in reruns in the early '70's, Ken. ;)
    Closet Trekkie myself. Keep it on the downlow.

I don't really flaunt it in real life either.

..and I would never do the cosplay thing, let alone go to a convention.

IMG_6280.jpg

I just like watching the show, it ends there.

• lightman1
    Options
    10-4 in that. I gots to keep up my suave and debonaire style. :s