Harbeth SHL5.....R they worth it?

13»

Comments

• dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    tonyb wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    You are a champ pal, very generous of you....but, I have a feeling getting them back may take sending the goon squad out. lol

You need me and Steve, Tony?

Bob may need all 3 of us to go get his cables back, lol. Jersey is like Chicago, things have a way of disappearing. :)

So True.....So True :wink:

Tony, thanks for the suggestions.....I will slowly walk them down at some point. Can't believe the santori's made this much a difference. Can't stop listening. Thanks for steering me in the right direction
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Well, how's the mids? Detail? controlled bass? deep enough for you now?
    the highs sound harsh/digital or nicely "rounded off?"
    :*
    I thought about and still could pick up some small halbeths for
    monitor listing...

Thanks for any thoughts...
  • dhart86
    red....I am hardly a reviewer, I just enjoy the music. However, the bass on these speakers is very organic (texture), fast and extended. Punchy with good decay and no noticeable bloat .

Harsh, digital sounds do not belong in the same sentence with the Harbeth SHL5. It has a very musical and relaxing presentation and the mids are were these speakers make their living. I'm still working thru some things so don't want to talk much about soundstage, but has good detail
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited August 2016
    Play some Sara (either one: Mclachlan or Evans) or some Karen Carpenter on those pups and experience female vocals in the surreal. The Harbeth's do the midrange to tweeter hand-off better than any speaker I have ever heard--and you'll note I have no tubed equipment.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Thanks Dhart! good listening to ya. :)

Noted by me Steve. Thanks. I fear the tubes. I intend to get a Benchmark
    DAC and don't want to "color" the sound w/ tubes.
    I see you have the skyland stands. I read where even the stands can make
    a diff w/ the HarBeths...
  • steveinaz

The Skylan's are a little pricey, but they're built specifically for the Harbeth's and I liked the design.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    steveinaz wrote: »

The Skylan's are a little pricey, but they're built specifically for the Harbeth's and I liked the design.

I call B.S. Steve. You like 'em because they are at the right height for you to rub your junk all over them before turning in for the night. :p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,580

I call B.S. Steve. You like 'em because they are at the right height for you to rub your junk all over them before turning in for the night. :p

So same reason you like your legacys.... although yours is because they have ports at the right height :grin:

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • steveinaz
    edited August 2016
    If those legacy's could speak.....LMAO
  • tonyb
    If those legacy's could speak.....LMAO

They'd say..."You gonna eat that? Pass it over here. " I've Italianized them proper.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,580
    I've Italianized them proper.

muahahahahahahahaha....................

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    dhart86 wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »
    You are a champ pal, very generous of you....but, I have a feeling getting them back may take sending the goon squad out. lol

You need me and Steve, Tony?

Bob may need all 3 of us to go get his cables back, lol. Jersey is like Chicago, things have a way of disappearing. :)

So True.....So True :wink:

Tony, thanks for the suggestions.....I will slowly walk them down at some point. Can't believe the santori's made this much a difference. Can't stop listening. Thanks for steering me in the right direction

How about an update on those speakers ? Inquiring minds and all that. Or are you still trying to find your left nut that rolled under the couch somewhere ? :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dhart86
    Hey tony

So this is what happened...:) I thought the SHL5's sounded much better with the Acoustic Zen satori's that Bob let me audition. However, something still wasn't completely right and I couldn't put my finger on it. Still sounded somewhat off, slightly not by much.

A couple days later, our friend falconcry listed his C7es3 for sale. I grabbed them to compare w/ the SHL5's. For whatever reason, the C7es3 sounded much better in my room. I liked the liquidy midrange on the 5's but the 7's seemed more balanced top to bottom. I believe my room may have been a bit small for the 5's. The 7's are here to stay. My buddy was interested in the 5's so they are with him in Florida

I probably didn't do everything possible to get the best out of the 5's, but when the 7's gave me what I needed......I didn't need to continue on.

I am very un-scientific in my approach, but I know when I like what I'm hearing :wink:
    Main Rig:

Second Rig: