Harbeth SHL5.....R they worth it?

dhart86
dhart86 Posts: 1,594
Hey guys....L'm a bit of a homer in that all the speakers I have are Polks. (Lsim 705, Modded SDA 1C, modded monitor 7's and 5's.) Guess I just dig the polk sound.

I have been thinking about moving to a different brand speaker and the Harbeth SHL5 seems to be the ones I'm most interested in. Can't find a dealer local to demo a pair, but I'm intrigued.

So I am wondering if any one here has any experience with Harbeths and specifically the model mentioned.....if so please give me you thoughts
Main Rig:
Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,580
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited July 2016
    I have the model down from that, the HL Compact 7ES-3. They are fairly large for monitors---about the size of Lsi9's but a bit wider. The SHL5 was just too expensive for me at the time. Harbeth's have the most natural sounding treble/midrange I have ever heard. Voices are PERFECT. Zero nasal sound, but the sweetness is still present. In short, they've been a "search is over" kind of speaker for me. They have a touch of warmth, but IMO, not to the degree expressed by some. My 7ES-3's are 3db down at 46Hz, so I use an SVS PB12-NSD crossed at 45Hz to supplement bass---I doubt the SHL5 will need much help in that regard. Harbeth's have a way of playing extremely "clean" without ever sounding sterile or boring.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited July 2016
    Here's a pic:
    i1a6r08vjvvc.jpg
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dhart86
    Steve,
    thank you very much for your insight. Everything that I've read and heard about these have me intrigued and your listening experience continues to confirm what I have heard. I just put in an offer on a pair of SHL5's in Eucalyptus.

I like the look of the sylan stands......what height are yours. That is a very nice looking speaker, btw. Glad you've "allegedly" found your end-game speaker.

Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• steveinaz
    edited July 2016
    Not sure of the height off-hand, but they were the height recommended by Skylan for the 7ES-3. Skylans are pricey, but I highly recommend them.

Female voices are just phenominal. The balance between tweeter/midrange portrays the most accurate rendition of the human voice (and consequently the entire midrange) I've ever heard. Extremely organic and real that doesn't sound like a "reproduced" human voice.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    I was just eyeing Halbeth last night again.
    I've been looking at the 30.1 but do not want to buy a speaker sight unheard...
  • dhart86
    I know rednedtugent....that is the smart approach, guess I am a bit of a calculated risk taker
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dhart86
    edited July 2016
    BTW any body interested in fully modded SDA 1C's or modded monitor 7's? One pair may become available soon.......
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• steveinaz
    edited July 2016
    I got VERY lucky with my pair of 7ES-3's. I found a guy in Phoenix who basically has big speaker turn-over (fussy and wealthy I suspect) that I got my like new pair from, for $2400! They were, and are, MINT. Not a single flaw. At that time they were retailing for $3650/pr in Cherry. Harbeth agreed to continue to honor the warranty when I registered with them, since the pair was so new.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited July 2016
    I like the looks of Harbeth speakers and what I have read about them, and I could get my ears on some that are only 70 miles away at acoustic sound. I've been envious of Steve's speakers for awhile ;)

Now some Polkie just bought some SHL5 not long ago on here.

Its @audiocr381ve and @TSWisla who both have the SL5's
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    @voltz should I pitch in for gas? :*
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I could drive by and pick you up Red, you may need a few extra days to get there and back to your house.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    voltz wrote: »
    I like the looks of Harbeth speakers and what I have read about them, and I could get my ears on some that are only 70 miles away at acoustic sound. I've been envious of Steve's speakers for awhile ;)

Now some Polkie just bought some SHL5 not long ago on here.

Its @audiocr381ve and @TSWisla who both have the SL5's

Hiya voltz, I was going to mention audiocr381ve, bought some sweet Harbeths awhile back.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    I like mine, very much!
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2016
    @KennethSwauger which ones?
    As my musical tastes and ears are changing,
    I've become detail crazy. ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    The Super HL5 30th anniversary version with OFC internal cabling.
  • [Deleted User]
    I followed the trail here last night:
    http://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/
  • dhart86
    edited July 2016
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I got VERY lucky with my pair of 7ES-3's. I found a guy in Phoenix who basically has big speaker turn-over (fussy and wealthy I suspect) that I got my like new pair from, for $2400! They were, and are, MINT. Not a single flaw. At that time they were retailing for $3650/pr in Cherry. Harbeth agreed to continue to honor the warranty when I registered with them, since the pair was so new.

Steve,
    the seller just accepted my bid of $3200 from audiogon for what is described as a "like new condition" pair The photos looked to show as much. Only thing that scares me is that the have to be shipped from Calif. to NJ

Hope I can get Harbeth to honor the warranty on these

PS....this pair was apparently bought right before the release of the SHL5+ version.
    So I wonder what the difference is between the original version and the + version
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dhart86
    I like mine, very much!

Ken you opinion is highly respected around these parts.....would love to know what you like the most about your set
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• [Deleted User]
    I really like being able to put together, inside my mind, what was going on when a record or tape was being originally recorded. As I listen to something I play a little game with myself and try and piece together where everyone, in the recording, was when the original was made. The more information I can glean from the system the more I enjoy the experience. I try and hear as much live music as possible and when I do I think about what I'm hearing and how its "picture" is being recorded inside my head. Sometimes I'll just stop what I'm doing and listen to what's going on around me. I just pay attention to the sounds happening around me.
    I moved my main system from a fairly large room to a smaller room with less than flattering room dimensions (12' x12') so I had to put away my ML CLSII speakers and find something smaller. I used to sell the Rogers LS35a speakers and liked the whole BBC monitor idea of driver research. So I started there and found the Harbeths to do what's important to me, sound real.
  • steveinaz
    $3200 is a heck of a deal on SHL5's. Just make sure they are double-boxed and well insured.
  • dhart86
    Thanks for your comprehensive insight, Ken
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• dhart86
    $3200 is a heck of a deal on SHL5's. Just make sure they are double-boxed and well insured.

got my fingers crossed.....Asked seller to insure and double box
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    Make sure PFB isn't drop shipping them to you by proxy.

I made a pun.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    dhart86 wrote: »

got my fingers crossed.....Asked seller to insure and double box

Cool man, congrats. Can't wait to hear your impressions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    Prepare to find out what it is your system has been missing, that you just couldn't quite put your finger on....
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,117
    After reading this thread, it makes me want to visit my local Harbeth "boutique" dealer, that's open like.... Hardly Ever! .... appointment only
    I'll bite my tongue and make an appointment
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,151
    Congrats on the purchase
  • dhart86
    [/quote]
    Cool man, congrats. Can't wait to hear your impressions.

Congrats on the purchase

[Prepare to find out what it is your system has been missing, that you just couldn't quite put your finger on.... /quote]

Thanks everyone.....I'm excited to see what I haven't been hearing!
    Main Rig:

Second Rig:

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,234
    Harbeth is probably the speaker that I have wanted to demo the most that has eluded me.

The Austin dealer was at LSAF, but disappointingly he did not bring any Harbeth's :'(
    Congrats
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a