What was that one thing as a kid...

2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,357
    tonyb wrote: »

So what was your fantasy as a kid you never got ?

To play doctor with Farrah Fawcett and Olivia Newton-John

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    msg wrote: »
    Those things pulled awesome power slides.
    They need to make these for adults.
    Wohhhhh, they do!
    mtthj7ue5g2f.jpg

They do, they're called Drift trikes.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Barbara Eden.

10-4
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,284
    MSG THAT IS AWESOME!!!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    BB Gun......
    The problem is we had "real" guns and not something you could just shoot in the backyard.

I was also a "Lego Maniac" and there were more sets than i could shake a stick at. I now live vicariously through my nephews.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,234
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I was also a "Lego Maniac" and there were more sets than i could shake a stick at. I now live vicariously through my nephews.

I still love lego's. A few months ago my wife grounded me because the grand kids started whining because I was hogging all the legos :o

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    I now live vicariously through my nephews.

Growing up I had one (and only one) basic set, but I made lots of stuff with it. Now, I have a few sets that are "mine" and the kids can't play with. Some people collect wooden ships. I have the Lego "The Brick Bounty" with mods and accessories. Bought thread to add ropes to the sails. Way better than those wooden models.

Kids still have more sets than I do though. And I have given them some of "mine" over the years. Pains me when they tear them apart after I had them displayed for so long.

BTW, for those thinking Lego sets are too "canned" and less creative these days...give your kids a few sets and let them mix and match and do whatever they want with them. My son has a 4 foot Batcave that he made from scratch from multiple sets. Kids can be just as creative, and more so, than with the sets I had growing up.

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited July 2016
    The only difference between men and boys are the price of their toys.

Now that I am older, I have gone back and purchased a lot of the toys I either wanted or actually had as a kid.

I consider myself to be pretty-lucky. I grew-up during the golden age of muscle cars, minibikes, and pinball. All three were my passions. Audio equipment made the list but was farther down than those top three categories.

I always liked minibikes and had several as a kid but never had a brand-new one. Mine were always beaters. In 1973 I had a second-hand 1971 Kawasaki "Parnelli Jones" MT1 75 Dynamite. I loved that bike. I saved up and bought it from an older kid in the neighborhood after he hammered it into the ground. It was still the fastest minibike in the neighborhood and was faster than the Honda minitrails and all the old-school American minibikes too.

Fast-forward to today and I have 4 of the Kawasaki MT1/KV75 minibikes. Two are mint showpieces and the other two are riders. Now, 40+ years later all four are nicer than the two year-old bike I had in 1972. lol

Here's my all-original unrestored 1972 Kawasaki MT1A. It even has the original tires from 1972 on it. The only thing that isn't stock are the rear shocks which I replaced with more adult-friendly models but still have the originals too. There are no odometers on these bikes but if I had to guess by the amount of wear on the rear tire I'd esitmate this bike has about 50 miles or less on it.

2ppxxrq.jpg

Here's a my 1976 Kawasaki KV75-A5 unrestored survivor. Pretty-much the same thing as the '72. Mint with original tires & everything. Like brand-new.

zwc26v.jpg

Both these minibikes have unusual stories as to how they managed to be as niced as they are 40+ years later.

I have two more KV75s that are very nice riders.

In addition to minibikes, I have always been addicted to pinball and blew a lot of coin on it back in my youthful days. I never thought I'd end-up owning some of the games I loved back then. At one time I had 16 pinball machines in my collection but am now down to 8.

My all-time favorite pinball machine is 1981 Bally Eight Ball Deluxe.

og03lt.jpg

These two rock-themed classics are also Bally favorites of mine (1978 Kiss and 1980 Rolling Stones)

34rtzme.jpg

I also currently have:
    1978 Bally Playboy
    1979 Bally Harlem Globetrotters On Tour
    1979 Bally Star Trek
    1981 Bally Fathom

I also like classic muscle cars and hot rods and still have one I bought in 1982. That's for another thread though.

One of the biggest things I drooled over later in my adult years back in the late 90s were the Polk SRTs. I never thought I'd own a set but now today I have two sets of them and they are everything I had ever expected. I am thankful that I didn't have the SRTs as a kid though or I'd probably be deaf by now. Definitely adult-only speakers.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    I still love lego's. A few months ago my wife grounded me because the grand kids started whining because I was hogging all the legos :o
    My brother and i had a bet. The first one to produce a boy gets all of our childhood legos. We have a 5' tall tupperware shelving unit with drawers for all the colors which was impressive. Well, he won the bet, which pains me because i loved them more and vested more money into them. I went into the world of construction because of them. Oh well. It would cost a mint to recoup them all starting from the mid 80's.
    I now live vicariously through my nephews.

Growing up I had one (and only one) basic set, but I made lots of stuff with it. Now, I have a few sets that are "mine" and the kids can't play with. Some people collect wooden ships. I have the Lego "The Brick Bounty" with mods and accessories. Bought thread to add ropes to the sails. Way better than those wooden models.

Kids still have more sets than I do though. And I have given them some of "mine" over the years. Pains me when they tear them apart after I had them displayed for so long.

BTW, for those thinking Lego sets are too "canned" and less creative these days...give your kids a few sets and let them mix and match and do whatever they want with them. My son has a 4 foot Batcave that he made from scratch from multiple sets. Kids can be just as creative, and more so, than with the sets I had growing up.
    Whenever we go to ToysRUs, i always find myself in the Lego isle. My wife always chuckles and tells me to buy one but the problem would be it wouldn't stop there....
    As kids, we had a 12 by 12 office in our house and enough road/grass/water plates to fill the room. Our "cities" used to be glorious. Pure fun!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,947
    edited July 2016
    As a kid, I get the lego thing, as a parent....I want to choke someone. Tired of stepping on those suckers in the middle of the night....they hurt man. Plus there is always a stray lego somewhere, like under the couch so when you vacuum it gets sucked up and clogs the vacuum cleaner.

Nice mini bikes man, how'd you find those in such mint condition ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,984
    As a kid I always wanted what every other kid had that I didn't. Most of all I wanted to see my dad more often!
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,151
    Right On Gatecrasher! very nice