Options
13»

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    The apartment buildings are actually 4 condos in the same building, though I have thought about selling a couple to buy a building...

I think 4 condo's, paid for, might go a long way with the college fund.

I don't know how old you are John, but I know your no spring chicken. 20 years from now, your kid will be in college at the same time you'll want to be, or already are, retired. Time to also think about what you want your life to look like in those years.

I would highly suggest against buying a franchise though. Been down that path myself and can honestly tell you in the end.....your buying yourself a job is all it is. Put the money in the markets or real estate, keep the time to yourself and your new child. That's the best advice I can give ya pal.
    I'm only 55, but I just can't do what I used to 20 years ago
    Yeah....But you're still an audio babe, Miss C! ;)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2016
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    The apartment buildings are actually 4 condos in the same building, though I have thought about selling a couple to buy a building...

I think 4 condo's, paid for, might go a long way with the college fund.

I don't know how old you are John, but I know your no spring chicken. 20 years from now, your kid will be in college at the same time you'll want to be, or already are, retired. Time to also think about what you want your life to look like in those years.

I would highly suggest against buying a franchise though. Been down that path myself and can honestly tell you in the end.....your buying yourself a job is all it is. Put the money in the markets or real estate, keep the time to yourself and your new child. That's the best advice I can give ya pal.
    I'm only 55, but I just can't do what I used to 20 years ago
    Yeah....But you're still an audio babe, Miss C! ;)

Oh pull your nose out :p;)

Cathy and Tony have made some good points
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    Options
    Heck...I might shave my beard for Cathy. :o
  • txcoastal1
    Options

Group Hug
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options

Aren't you married? Wait... I see where this is going. >:)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • txcoastal1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Great Jams
    https://youtu.be/lJR5q0IpWaE

• txcoastal1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Gonna double down with Mr Neville (Randy Newman)
    https://youtu.be/EyfvnM4Grik

• txcoastal1
    Options
    Smooth finish with....
    https://youtu.be/Lo2qQmj0_h4

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    Options
    Lol... You guys are a riot
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • lightman1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Nope:no_mouth:
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support. My wife and I will know more in the coming weeks whether or not this latest round has been successful or not, and I will make a formal announcement then.

As for the gear, I will be making up my mind soon. Tonight I spun some Fleetwood Mac. Each time I pull out an LP I think I knoe so well, I find that I know nothing at all about it. The cymbal decay, and the way it moves about within the acoustic space is mesmerizing, and the way a voice trembles at times while delivering a lyric are things that would be lost in the digital world, at least on the setups I have heard.

This rig will be very hard to part with, so for now I will just take my time.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement and support. My wife and I will know more in the coming weeks whether or not this latest round has been successful or not, and I will make a formal announcement then.

As for the gear, I will be making up my mind soon. Tonight I spun some Fleetwood Mac. Each time I pull out an LP I think I knoe so well, I find that I know nothing at all about it. The cymbal decay, and the way it moves about within the acoustic space is mesmerizing, and the way a voice trembles at times while delivering a lyric are things that would be lost in the digital world, at least on the setups I have heard.

This rig will be very hard to part with, so for now I will just take my time.

Good, take your time think about it for a few weeks. Make a plan, put everything into perspective with certain goals for the next phase of your life and do it honestly. If you can figure it out while keeping your system intact, good.....if not, so be it. You'll just have to accept a bit lessor SQ for the greater good.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    Sorry to hear this John didn't you just drop a large chunk of cash on a Clearaudio Cartridge recently? If your keeping the turntable then it was worth that cartridge purchase.

Congratulations on your upcoming child, sounds like the pitter patter of little feet are the priority right now, but man if you could just keep your turntable and your SDA's that would be great. Best of luck to both of you.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options

Feel free, all beards do is make men look old!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options

Feel free, all beards do is make men look metal as ____!

Agree!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

Mustaches make women look old...

• littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited June 2016
    Options

Not mine. I am letting mine grow out in preperation for the comb over I will be needing one day soon.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Owning your own business, means you never have a day off, you never can take a vacation, you are always worried about something or have to do something with regards to the business. If you have employees it's even worse. My friends who work for themselves do nothing but work!

+ 1, while the cell phone can always ring and issues can spring up, I do find time to enjoy life as well. I have found that problems can be kept to a minimum, as long as I try to treat clients like I want to be treated.

And my handful of employees are well aware of my philosophy - I tell them they are lucky, they only have one boss. I have dozens of bosses; the clients who write out the checks for the bills I send them every month!

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 748
    Options
    Hoping you take your time on this and I have a chance to stop by and hear your current set up, should you decide to break it up.

Kid costs (we have 3) have kept me out of the Hi Fi game for too long and with all 3 graduating college next year, one of my first priorities is to sink the equivalent of their tuition into some really nice gear.

And yes, congrats on the upcoming addition to your family. I wouldn't trade one day in the life of any of my kids for all the audio gear in Newport Beach this weekend!
    2 Channel "Polk" Room:

Marantz PM8004 Integrated
    Marantz SA8004 SACD Player
    Music Hall mmf 7.3 TT with Ortofon Bronze
    WiiM Mini
    Schiit Bifrost with Multibit Upgrade
    Polk 7B with RDO198s
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    You are welcome here any time sir.

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Jaybeez wrote: »
    Hoping you take your time on this and I have a chance to stop by and hear your current set up, should you decide to break it up.

Kid costs (we have 3) have kept me out of the Hi Fi game for too long and with all 3 graduating college next year, one of my first priorities is to sink the equivalent of their tuition into some really nice gear.

And yes, congrats on the upcoming addition to your family. I wouldn't trade one day in the life of any of my kids for all the audio gear in Newport Beach this weekend!
    Jaybeez wrote: »

Comes down to priorities, agreed. Kids rank way higher than hi-fi, just the way it is or should be anyway I hope. Matter of fact, lots of things rank higher than hi-fi when you put all things into perspective. Sometimes I wonder how any of us find the time or wallet space to dabble in it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    Congratulations on the additional member of the family who has yet to make an appearance!

It's really great to read about the parents who have put their kids through college.

I'm in college now (but I'm not the same age as most of my classmates) and I'm always hearing stories of how hard my fellow students are working to pay for school and to keep their grades up. Most of the students I meet who have a free ride thanks to mom and dad take a different approach to their studies. I'm not saying that these are universal statements that apply to all students but I've been to two colleges since 2011 and that has been my experience in both places.

I have had fun getting back into this hobby but I don't have as much time to listen to music as I did when I first got into it due to classes and hw.

Life changes forced the sale of my Electrostatic Hybrid set up and, at the time, I wan't even listening to much music so I wasn't as attached to it as you are to your set up.

What I have now is far more engaging than my past set ups and co$t me a lot le$$. Maybe I just got lucky? I'm also living in a different place and dealing with different room acoustics. Everything comes into consideration.

Food for thought and good luck.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    Hmmmm my start over system would be stupid simple.
    Two Play5 Sonos speakers on stands. That is it, no DACs, transporters, dual amps, turn tables, or CD players. Well maybe I would keep my turntable...

Yeah two Play5s and a Turn Table.
    Clean, easy and stupid.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2016
    Options
    And how would you get the table connected to the speakers...

Stupid indeed.