OK I need a network player

kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
Mainly for listening to streaming free HD radio and a subscription to a high Rez music service. I will probably never get into downloading music to a PC or laptop. Will this fit the bill?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA71N3FN5454&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleMKP-PC-_-pla-_-Home+Audio-_-9SIA71N3FN5454&gclid=CIyP3rnt_MwCFUc2gQodzcMOaw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    which high resolution service are you interested in?
    Natively, I don't think this player supported Spotify, if that's on your list, but it appears that Cambridge has released a firmware update that should allow for this now?

Probably need to do a bit more research to see whether Tidal is supported.

https://techsupport.cambridgeaudio.com/hc/en-us/articles/203671531-New-changes-to-network-music-players
    I disabled signatures.
  • kevhed72
    The more I think about it....I cannot commit to another monthly bill such as Tidal. Soooo, I would need a player for free Spotify and HD radio - particularly WRAS streamed live from the concrete campus of Georgia State. Someone suggested a Squeezebox Duet....any others?
  • msg
    edited May 2016
    Squeezebox is a good recommendation, and that's what I use. There are a few neat add-ons you can get for it, and I use the Orange Squeeze app to control it; very nice; $5

You can also build a piCorePlayer based streamer using a Raspberry Pi with a HiFiBerry DAC, if you're the DIY type. You'd run it off the free Logitech Media Server software running on a PC, and use a smartphone or tablet for remote/control. Pretty easy setup, overall, and I think you can be in for under $200. Depends on how serious you are. I'm experimenting with one of these right now. As a standalone, it would work nicely, though I'm having some sync issues in running it with other Squeezebox players on my network; sometimes it seems to either lag or advance slightly. You can add a touchscreen and stand for another $100 or so.

Actually, Kev - there's this SB3 that @halo is selling - can't really beat this package/price to get you started; modded Squeezebox 3 with upgraded power supply
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/172977/slim-devices-sb3-bolder-cable-mod-ci-audio-sb3-power-supply
    I disabled signatures.
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    If you can run an ethernet cable to the player and have a USB dac, I'd suggest giving the Sonore microRendu (iFi power supply) a try. You can read up here at Computer Audiophile. VERY flexible as far as player applications/modes go, outstanding sound quality, easy to set up, excellent value IMO ($690).

HQ Player users seem to love what that provides through the uRendu. But if you'll be limited to 320 streaming, there are plenty of cheaper options like Squeezebox.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    The more I think about it....I cannot commit to another monthly bill such as Tidal. Soooo, I would need a player for free Spotify and HD radio - particularly WRAS streamed live from the concrete campus of Georgia State. Someone suggested a Squeezebox Duet....any others?

Can't overlook Sonos if that's all your going to stream. About as easy and close to plug n play as you'll get.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    To get the best from Spotify, you'll have to pay for the premium service. It will get you HD streaming, and I found that I couldn't use my Onkyo remote smartphone app without the premium service. YMMV

I have a Squeezebox Touch on the way...very anxious to try it.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • kevhed72
    I have a line on a deal for a DACMagic Plus by Cambridge audio.....wondering if this is a better route for both CD Transport use and for a network player to stream HD radio for free. I was also looking at the Arcam irDAC but that's a jump in price....will either of these fit the need for a DAC to stream music?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    The DacMagic plus is a DAC only. You will need to connect it to a CD player/computer/etc to "stream" through it
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I like bluesound node or node2. If someday you can stream Tidal you will be ready.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • kevhed72
    The DacMagic plus is a DAC only. You will need to connect it to a CD player/computer/etc to "stream" through it

Right....my idea is upgrade the DAC for the CD player and eventually purchase a network player or something to stream music to the DAC...the bad thing about swim meets is you literally have hours of sitting to think about spending more money.
  • kevhed72
    Think of it as a dual purpose DAC....
  • kevhed72
    I like bluesound node or node2. If someday you can stream Tidal you will be ready.
    Let me run this one by you and ask:
    http://www.musicdirect.com/p-514539-bluesound-vault-2-digital-music-playerripperstorage-drive-2tb-white-demo.aspx
    Would I be able to stream free HD radio, save it, and playback at anytime??? That would be the bomb for what I need....
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I have no experience with the Vault2 which is a Node2 with storage so not sure if you can store internet radio on the HD and playback. But with the $500 more than the Node 2 you can get 25 months of Tidal which will give you the ability to have access to all of their content and the ability to build playlists of music that you want accessible to all of your devices controlled by a mobile app in CD quality. Any content that you can get for free will be low quality and have commercials.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • msg
    Audials lets you record internet radio - captures to files - which you could play back any time you like, but you'll need a PC for it, and then you'd have to have the files stored somewhere depending on how your player would access them. Records anything going across your soundcard and lookup services break it up into files for you.
    I disabled signatures.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    edited June 2016
    Oppo-103 comes with 3 months free Tidal HiFi.
    With the extra 100 bucks you save you can pay for Tidal.
    They also do Student discounts (50%).
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma