Shaving

seabeerob213
seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
edited May 2016 in The Clubhouse
What does everybody shave with? Cartridge razors? Electrics? Safety razor? Straight razors? I have been using a safety razor about a year, and it's so much better than electrics or cartridges, imo. Any one else use these? What have you guys found that you like?
2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
Post edited by seabeerob213 on

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Bowie Knife.....be a man damn it. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have not shaved since I was 27, I keep my beard trimmed up though.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • seabeerob213
    tonyb wrote: »
    Bowie Knife.....be a man damn it. :)

I've shaved with a knife before, it sucked so bad
    voltz wrote: »
    I have not shaved since I was 27, I keep my beard trimmed up though.
    I have to be clean shaven all the time my good sir,
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • seabeerob213
    edited May 2016
    qr3wa9jq689g.jpeg
    Merkur safety razor with Astra blades.

Which merkur are you using, I was thinking that's what I want to upgrade to, and I have found I like the feather blades best do far, but only tried dorco, feather, and the generic ones from the navy exchange. Which brush and cream/soap?
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    VERY former 'lectric user (like in my 20's) - converted to disposable safety razors, this one I have found is the longest lasting, best I have used in the last 30 years... No affiliation. I have a buddy uses a straight razor, always wanted to try, never had the ****.

5dihtz83iteh.jpg
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• seabeerob213
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    VERY former 'lectric user (like in my 20's) - converted to disposable safety razors, this one I have found is the longest lasting, best I have used in the last 30 years... No affiliation. I have a buddy uses a straight razor, always wanted to try, never had the ****.

5dihtz83iteh.jpg

I don't think I do either, I'm just using a generic double edge safety razor, I have had the straight razor shave st the barbers in Sicily though, was pretty bitchin
  • tonyb
    edited May 2016
    I left the safety razor crowd long time ago due to having sensitive skin which is more prone to shaving rash and cuts. Dang, one wrong move and that razor stings. I just use a variety of cartridge razors like the Schick above. Though I do miss mixing up the lather with the brush.

Except I can't for the life of me figure out why these things are so expensive. A little plastic and very thin metal. Then I think about the process involved in taking oil out of the ground, shipping it, refining it into gas, ship it again to stations who also sell for a profit, add all the taxes, and I can still get a gallon of gas cheaper than a frickin' decent razor. Whats up with that ? These things should be dirt cheap.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited May 2016
    What's up with that shave club you hear the commercials for? Suppose to be cheaper than store cartridges.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    My cat takes care of my face.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tonyb
    mrbiron wrote: »

Bad visual for so early in the morning man.....and a ton of bad jokes await you. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • seabeerob213
    edited May 2016
    I left the safety razor crowd long time ago due to having sensitive skin which is more prone to shaving rash and cuts. Dang, one wrong move and that razor stings. I just use a variety of cartridge razors like the Schick above. Though I do miss mixing up the lather with the brush.

Except I can't for the life of me figure out why these things are so expensive. A little plastic and very thin metal. Then I think about the process involved in taking oil out of the ground, shipping it, refining it into gas, ship it again to stations who also sell for a profit, add all the taxes, and I can still get a gallon of gas cheaper than a frickin' decent razor. Whats up with that ? These things should be dirt cheap.

Couldnt tell you, but I like then better for my sensitive skin, half my family is all gingers , and I'm pasty white with freckles too(just have the thick dark hair and brown eyes from the Costa Rican side) I get the occasional cut, but it works well for me. You can still use good soap or cream and lather it right with a cartridge btw.
  • mrbiron

Bad visual for so early in the morning man.....and a ton of bad jokes await you. :)

No jokes.......His little claws are precision tools and has never nicked the soft, under chin flesh. He's an artist. The bad part is when he licks his brown knot and breathes in my face. Yuck!
  • tonyb
    Yeah I know, not the same though using a cartridge razor. It's a process, much like why vinyl guys love their vinyl. Part of what makes shaving the old fashioned way an experience.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • seabeerob213

No jokes.......His little claws are precision tools and has never nicked the soft, under chin flesh. He's an artist. The bad part is when he licks his brown knot and breathes in my face. Yuck!

Better than licking yours I suppose
  • seabeerob213
    Yeah I know, not the same though using a cartridge razor. It's a process, much like why vinyl guys love their vinyl. Part of what makes shaving the old fashioned way an experience.

Yeah, but still feel way better on your face, and aerosol cream gets your face, or at least mine, if I use a cartridge I use hot water, or hair conditioner,
  • mrbiron
    yeaaaaaahhhhh............. I would never let that happen............:/

I only use a razor on special occasions (Gillette Fusion i think is the name). Otherwise, i use a beard trimmer without attachments once a week to knock down the stubble. If i went clean shaven 100% of the time, my company would be under investigation for hiring a 16year old to run their work. So i keep a goatee to help mask my facade.
  • tonyb
    edited May 2016
    LOL.....I've used hair conditioner when the can runs out occasionally. Works well too, even hand soap works well but you smell like flowers afterwards. Your right though, the cream feels awesome on the face....along with a hot towel after.

The difference for me today, at my age....is I don't have to impress anyone anymore. Don't have to look like a GQ model walking out the door in the morning, not that I ever did but you get my point.

I also find the length of the whiskers, how long you go in between shaves, plays a part in which blade is better to use.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • seabeerob213
    edited May 2016
    I don't grow the densest facial hair, but it is thick, grows in just slow enough that I can usually get away with shaving at 6 one morning, and not really needing to till lunch the next day, although lately that doesn't seem the case. But chief cares if you don't every morning, lol
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    I think Lightman should chime in....

I use Harry's, get my blades delivered every three months automatically.
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    I've only used regular Gillettes and electric, this is the first time I have heard of a safety razor?
    What's different about them to regular razors?
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Nightfall wrote: »
    What's up with that shave club you hear the commercials for? Suppose to be cheaper than store cartridges.

Apparently they are basically Dorco razors that you can buy elsewhere, but the shave club doesn't require you purchase in bulk to get equivalent savings.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/does-dollar-shave-really-save-1334930885394

Don't know first hand since I use an electric - Norelco shaver with HQ8 heads. It's quicker and I get a decent enough shave.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    I tried the safety razor thing and my skin just can't take those or even the straight blades. I've had two shaves done by very highly rated barbers and both have been nightmare experiences.

The problem is I have very sensitive skin and a thick beard, not a great combo. I've tried every razor under the sun and the three blade Mach 3 Cartridge razor works best for me. I bought a really nice heavy handle for mine as I like the balance.

I use the Proraso product - I use a pre shave lotion, the cream pictured above, and then an after shave toning lotion. In a pinch I'll use the Cremo Cream stuff you find everywhere if I'm on the road and don't have my good stuff with me.
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Willow wrote: »

"I use Harry's, get my blades delivered every three months automatically.
    "

Waiting on my first package as a free trial from harrys. I have grown a bigger beard than I ever thought I would, but there is still some areas that need trimming.

Harrys is 100% german steel and german sharpening.

the free trial comes with the handle, shave butter kinda stuff, and I think 3 5 blade razors.

If you want to keep subscribing its cheap as hell.
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited May 2016
    I have a thick beard and sensitive skin, learned a long time ago to shave "with" the grain. Shaving is a daily thing when you're military, so it's a topic near & dear to my heart. I currently use Gillette 3 blade. The key to keeping expensive cartridge blades sharp is to dry them after use. As you can see in my avatar, I keep my beard close and off my lips (hate whiskers on my lips) using a Remington beard trimmer.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Willow wrote: »

"I use Harry's, get my blades delivered every three months automatically.
    "

Waiting on my first package as a free trial from harrys. I have grown a bigger beard than I ever thought I would, but there is still some areas that need trimming.

Harrys is 100% german steel and german sharpening.

the free trial comes with the handle, shave butter kinda stuff, and I think 3 5 blade razors.

If you want to keep subscribing its cheap as hell.

I'm not a huge fan of their creams and such just their handles and blades. My wife is using them too, we each have our own handles and I have a spare that I bring when we travel. Yes they are super cheap when comes time to refill and I get them within a day or two. It did take me awhile to get use to the blade as in how it shaves and moves with the contours of my face, not there is no issue. I couldn't stand paying 20$ for 3 refills on Gillette, glad I found these guys.

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    I use a Gillette Fusion razor and cartridges with lather from cup soap (Van Der Hagen "Luxury Unscented") and a brush or, when traveling, with Clinique cream shave out of a tube.

Over the years I've used all sorts of electric shavers and blade types.

Albeit a bit expensive, the combinations I'm now using give the closest, irritation-free shave I've experienced since I used to get the occasional professional shave (with a straight razor) from a barber in Princeton, NJ. I have to say, the professional shave was always a treat -- face wrapped with hot towels, head massage, etc..
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Safety razor is my choice as well. Disposable razors take forever to use and don't get as clean of a shave.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Dollar Shave club member for the past couple months $6 month for 4 4 blade cartridges. Cheap enough, since I am changing the blade about every 10 days on average. I have a full beard, but shave under and over to edge it. I used Schick or Gillette 5 blade cartridges for much longer to stretch out the life of the expensive buggers.d1iiuhzwzxaf.png

The DSC handle is a top quality heavy, bronze painted metal handle edged in white rubber, of nice construction, with proprietary blades. There is a rubber glide blade on the leading edge that works okay, but the lubrication strip that trails the blades is a mystery to me as it doesn't have any of the slick consistency that I enjoyed with the Gillette blades.

My brother-in-law is a bald headed shaver and tried the club razors and claimed the tender skin on the top of his head deserved a better quality blade and I could see that thin, shiny skin might be more in need of the top quality afforded by the best of the cartridges, but knowing that I have a new blade waiting each week lets my peace of mind about when to change and I change much more often now.

If you can get 10 days out of each blade, you gain a month's worth of blades about every quarter and either get a stock built up or can call them to skip a month on your plan. This would put my costs at less around $4.50/month.

I think that shaving is a very personal thing that has to fit your comfort level and budget. I never thought that I would put much thought into it, but the continual creep into the realm of budgetary constraints brought it to my attention and the wife and I both thought about a different direction as I found my normal blade choice approaching $4 each I hated shaving with a dull blade just to save a few bucks.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I'm not familiar with the term..shaving. ????