What is a good matching subwoofer for the SDA series?

Options
Just wondering what our Vintage speaker community thinks and recommends for use with these old babes?

Comments

• RandyCroissant
    Options
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• RandyCroissant
    Options
    My next sub will be SVS they have a great reputation around here, I'm sure others will chime in.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD-S2100, Yamaha AS-2200, Bluesound node 2i
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C modded
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    Options
    Interesting you should say that. Been looking at SVS to replace my old Definitive Powerfield. Hope to get some interesting input here.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    SVS Gunther.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,045
    Options
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Which SDA's are you running? Only using the sub for 2 channel? How much of a spending budget are you on for a sub? Lots of variables here. :)
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Running 3.1TL sub for HT mostly, like my 2 channel pretty much as is. Got a 15" 500W now but its old and huge. Looking for maybe an upgrade to something that still goes low is tight, fast and accurate. Got to be compatible with the TL's though. Getting a lot of SVS recommends but no size so far. Looked at them and they look awesome but then which one? Choices, Choices. Got to wait awhile anyway, done blew my budget for this year.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    Rel, SVS, and HSU
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    All the svs subs are great. I would pick up a sealed one if you want fast and tight, Although the ported ones certainly aren't slow and do music just fine. All of their subs go nice and low. Add rythmic and psa to your list, the servo subs work great for music. I would think any of the sub brands listed would blend nicely with your SDA's when tuned/placed properly.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,658
    Options
    Gunther16 wrote: »
    Running 3.1TL sub for HT mostly, like my 2 channel pretty much as is. Got a 15" 500W now but its old and huge. Looking for maybe an upgrade to something that still goes low is tight, fast and accurate. Got to be compatible with the TL's though. Getting a lot of SVS recommends but no size so far. Looked at them and they look awesome but then which one? Choices, Choices. Got to wait awhile anyway, done blew my budget for this year.

Call them. Give them your room size, listening preferences and budget and they'll steer you in the right direction. Great CS...
  • oldmodman
    oldmodman Posts: 740
    Options
    I am using a pair of subs.
    Velodyne for upper bass (it's a ten inch)
    Miller & Kriesel for low bass (it's a 15 inch)
    Don't need to have them up very high either. Took quite a bit of playing around with all the knobs to get everything 'just right".
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    All the svs subs are great. I would pick up a sealed one if you want fast and tight, Although the ported ones certainly aren't slow and do music just fine. All of their subs go nice and low. Add rythmic and psa to your list, the servo subs work great for music. I would think any of the sub brands listed would blend nicely with your SDA's when tuned/placed properly.
    + 1 on what Mikey has here.Along with the others brands mentioned , PSA are getting a lot of notice and might meet your budget . I meant to ask you Gunther ,what size room ( cu.ft. ,LxWxH) are you working with ? A sub EQ such as antimode 8033 or similar is well worth the extra $250.00-$300.
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Room size is 15' X 25' X8' No EQ,
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Options
    HSU VTF-15h Mk2, closely followed by the VTF-3 Mk5.

More adjustability to tune them to your room, speakers and preferences, more bang for your buck as well.

SVS makes an AWESOME sub, and you can't go wrong, but to my ears they've never really caught my attention. Yes, they go low and loud, and disappear, but the HSU's sound more musical to me.

Keep in mind my impressions are comparing them in very different environments, typically at places like CES, so as always YMMV.

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• 2-tall
    2-tall Posts: 98
    Options
    I have been using a Paradigm PW2200 V2 with my 3.1TL's and find it blends in very well.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,987
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Its really hard to beat the bang for the buck of SVS and HSU. Their are other ID companies that make good subs, but none have the staying power of the two big boys, so I would probably stick with them. If you want small, deep and tight, I would save my pennies and go for one of these:

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/uls-15mk2.html

http://www.svsound.com/collections/sealed-subwoofers/products/sb-2000

And there is no "matching" when it comes to a sub, not really. I mean if you have really fast panel speakers then you definitely want sealed subs, but other than that its just about getting the best sub you can afford. The better the sub, the better its going to blend with whatever speakers you pair it with.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Okay this is from the same era as the 3.1's which I also own. I'm running a pair of Polk PSW-150's with great success that I got at different times on eBay.
    I just wanted to keep it all Polk
    You may go another route with as much success and be equally happy.
    Two (*or more*) small subs in different corners of the room work to break up the standing waves that every room has to one extent or another. Doesn't matter what brand,but it generally is a good idea to match them. Although that IS NOT a requirement.
    Plus judging from the size of your room muliple subs will give you better coverage and more output in the low low bass.
    There have been several stories in the hi fi rags about using muliple subs (*up to four*)
  • Polkie2009
    Options
    I've thought about going the 4 sub route, just haven't spent the coin yet. Been fairly happy with 2 Epik Empire subs for now. My room is about 3600 cu.ft. that I can close off. Gunther, what kind of budget do you have for the subs?
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Budget? Ha, isn't that the thingy that gets destroyed whenever the rabbit finds the hole? Seriously, no set budget but serious window shopping in progress. Not looking for a budget sub neither a overpriced sub. Looking for a exemplary sub at reasonable cost. So far SVS and REL are on short list.
  • stubby
    stubby Posts: 723
    Options
    They are older and aren't very pretty, but I love my M&K MX125. Very musical and will dig deep. Seamless blending with almost any speaker I have used.
    SRS 3.1TL
    Harman Kardon Citation 5.1
    Anthem AVM2

• codyc1ark
    codyc1ark Posts: 2,530
    Options
    The biggest baddest sub you can fit into your space.
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Velodyne hgs series but they are serious $$$$.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    I am surprised you need a sub. Maybe the crossovers need to be reworked, cabinet treatments, speaker seals and spikes are needed.
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Gunther I looked at your sig and saw just a phono pre. What do you use for your master pre/amp which I guess has the ability to run a sub also. I ran into this a few weeks back by using my h/t and 2chll simultaneously by mistake and my sub was included and sounded great but not so much w/ mixing smalls w/ the 2Bs. If I'm going w/ my 2chl I always audio mute my smalls and still get my sources from my Yamaha RX-V665. The only pre/amp I've had so far that had a sub out was the Sony ES-2000 which formally is a surround processor w/ the ability to go 2chl w/ a sub out. I never tried it because it's a real pain to dial in and I'm using the Dynaco Pat-4 ss pre from the early/mid '70s which has no provision for a sub.
    My x-overs were upgraded and I finally raised the 2Bs w/ spikes and still the sub added a lot.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Gunther16
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Krell Showcase Pre/Pro, already have a sub, just looking to get something smaller and better. I don't need a sub for stereo listening but when doing Concert Blue Rays or DVD's it really makes a difference in the being there feeling. As for thsmiths post it is obvious to me he isn't reading the fine print. LOL
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Gunther, the SVS PB1000 has great specs. Not too big, and they have a few in the scratch and dent section, for not a lot of coin.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • thsmith
    thsmith Posts: 6,082
    Options
    Yes, I should have noticed you already have all the goodies and your explanation of on the Concert Blue Rays or DVD's makes more sense.

How big of a room will the sub be used in? LXWXH
    Speakers: SDA-1C (most all the goodies)
    Preamp: Joule Electra LA-150 MKII SE
    Amp: Wright WPA 50-50 EAT KT88s
    Analog: Marantz TT-15S1 MBS Glider SL| Wright WPP100C Amperex BB 6er5 and 7316 & WPM-100 SUT
    Digital: Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core i5 8g RAM 1.5 TB HDD Music Server Amarra (memory play) - USB - W4S DAC 2
    Cables: Mits S3 IC and Spk cables| PS Audio PCs
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Thanks David, Leaning the SVS way anyway! I'll check them out! Room Dim's 15'X23'X8'.
  • slbenz
    slbenz Posts: 97
    Options
    Mystery wrote: »
    Velodyne hgs series but they are serious $$$$.

That is exactly what I use with my SDA 2B.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Gunther16 wrote: »
    Thanks David, Leaning the SVS way anyway! I'll check them out! Room Dim's 15'X23'X8'.

I will measure my room tonight, but my wee little sb1000 fills my basement with bass, with ease, and I only have it at about half.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.