PRINCE has died at the age of 57!

Options
13»

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    This thread was about a bunch of people here paying tribute to a Artist that passed away ... opinions are one thing but any decent person know when to hold their tongue..

I imagine you did it just to infuriate the rest of his who where trying to honor a Artist!

Feel good about yourself ?

Very well said. I wasn't into all of his music, but did like a lot of it. One thing is certain, he was a genius. Not many artists can do all he could.

A great talent lost way too soon.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I liked him on 'Chico and the Man' but kinda lost track of him...

That gets the the most obscure but relevant post of the day gold star!
    Outstanding work, Ned!
  • lightman1
    Options
    I wish I could go to one of these fests... they sound like a great time

Get yer but on a plane, then.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »

He's stuck...stuck in a rabbit hole ;)
    754phg6uwykm.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    lightman1 wrote: »

He's stuck...stuck in a rabbit hole ;)
    754phg6uwykm.jpg

Fooking jerk......
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Options
    Wasn't the biggest fan probably, but the more I have learned about this guy and his talents as a musician over the years, I can appreciate his skill set and contributions to music.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    I'm reminded of an interview with Eric Clapton....I guess most know him Right ? He was asked by the interviewer how it felt to be considered the best guitarist in the world.

His response...."I don't know, go ask Prince."
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Howard Stern - "Do you think Prince is a better musician than you?"

Dave Grohl - "Dude, Prince is a better DRUMMER than I am."
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Elton John's tweet: "This is truly devastating news. The greatest performer I have ever seen. A true genius... Rest in peace you purple warrior." #Prince #RIP

Silly man, xcapri has spoken! :p
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...If I'm not mistaken, he was a Jehovah Witness, which precludes him from undue attention and taking medicines...

I have no clue if he still associated himself with Jehovah's Witnesses or not, but just wanted to point out that his being one of Jehovah's Witnesses would not prevent him from being recognized or given credit for his achievements and/or deeds, it's my guess that he just chose to be very humble and private about certain things. Also the only medical treatment JWs refuse is blood transfusions. It's laughable how much ridiculously false info circulates about this religion.

Anyway... His passing is a huge downer. I'm actually a little surprised at how much it bummed me out over the last few days. There really just isn't anyone like him. He had such a huge amount of talent in so many different areas. Plus he had a presence and swagger that was on a totally different level. Dude was just pure genius. Really gonna miss that little guy! :'(

One of my favorite clips.
    https://youtu.be/9FrSKe_w6_g
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    FYI---Thursday night at LSAF on the first floor Carrollton room.
    Since several of the Polkie friends will have arrived, I have put together a compilation list of songs to honor the following artists.
    Prince
    David Bowie
    Lonnie Mack
    Merle Haggard

Join us...We will raise a glass and jam.

You forgot Lemmy Kilmister and Philthy Animal. :'(
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    SNL had a special on Prince last night. It reminded me on why he is so overrated as a singer. I turned it off after the first three mediocre performances. His singing was mediocre at best. Yes he can play the guitar very well, but so can many others. After Purple Rain, he was more hype than anything else.

Come on X major thread crap there, the man was one of the most prolific musicians of our time, I have been listening to his stuff this past week pretty much non stop, singing mediocre at best are you serious.

C'mon brother, anything this X-loser says on the forum is pure dog dodo and so to ignore his threads is best. X wouldn't know talent if it slapped him in his mouth..hey, that sounds like a great idea!! Prince did everything he did GREAT, and if ya don't like it, or appreciate it, go back in your basement bedroom (Xman) and turn up your favorite transistor radio and crank up your favorite band "The Archies" and let us 4Real cats pay some respect to a True Legend!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    Options
    To make Prince's passing even more devastating....it is finally revealed that Prince has been donating money to charities throughout the years but asked that his acts of kindness be kept secret.

https://insiderlouisville.com/lifestyle_culture/music/prince-may-have-helped-save-louisville-library-from-closure/

I read that Prince would throw parties at his Paisley Park studio and those who were invited must pay "admission charge" in the form of checks made for donations to the local food banks.
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    Options
    Its sad that he was not recognize for the many contribution he has made in so many careers and the industry as a whole until his death, and some of that was his own doing being the recluse that he was.

In case anyone was wondering what was Tom Jones' reaction to the passing of Prince. After all, Tom Jones' career received quite a boost from his cover of Prince's "Kiss" (with the Art of Noise). Unfortunately, Tom Jones' wife of 59 years passed away earlier this month after battling cancer.

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited April 2016
    Options
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    I guess Prince was an audiophile as well....he hated the sound of digital.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/prince-internet-music_us_5719264ae4b0d4d3f722b567
    Prince wrote:
    “I personally can’t stand digital music,” he said the next year. “You’re getting sound in bits. It affects a different place in your brain. When you play it back, you can’t feel anything. We’re analogue people, not digital.”

I must say, his sound at live concerts was some of the best I've heard in large venue. Also, I will always remember how loud they turned up the system once during the Purple Rain solo one time at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit. I swear I could feel the fuzz on my face moving.....it got crazy loud....and clear!
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    I was more of a rocker in the 80's...still am. Prince probably would have never been on my concert list.
    Took my girlfriend to see Prince in '87, I was 18. Low and behold became an instant fan, not for just the music, but the talent and showmanship off the charts and into my top 5 shows of all time.
    best part was his showmanship. He grabs instruments out of the blue, tells the band what the plan is off the fly...or sometimes they just have to catch up

I don't think he has ever played a show identical to the next.

He strummed Zeppelin, some disco...stuff that wasn't his

the man liked to just Jam and go with the flow

He played his hits and stuff to keep the producers happy but other songs that I guess inspired him.

H3LL my parents dragged me to a Liberace concert while we were in Vegas when I was a kid...that show is still branded in my head as a top 10.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    Options
    I got to see him in the 80's and again a few years ago here in Chicago. I go to a lot of concerts and he was a stellar preformer, front man, and played darn near every instrument on that stage.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Options
    Just stumbled across this. It's another recording of his guest appearance at the SNL 40th Anniversary after-party. His first words crack me up - "Dearly Inebriated"

https://youtu.be/CMNKnC9K8Uo
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    Steve Oliver is awesome...
  • breal74
    breal74 Posts: 324
    Options
    I just had the time to listen to a four hour tribute that DJ Kevin Cole did on his Friday show on KEXP out of Seattle.

He was in the Minneapolis music scene and a DJ at First Avenue when Prince made it big. Kevin shared a bunch never released tracks, b-sides, rare live tracks and stories from different people that knew Prince and the whole show was amazing! There is even a Prince cover of Pearl Jam's Even Flow. He was such and amazing artist with boundless talent and an endless drive to create and I highly recommend giving it a listen if you get the chance. You can find it in the show archives of KEXP, which is the greatest radio station in my opinion and why I give them a monthly donation.

Enjoy!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Wha? Prince is DEAD?!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Almost a year to the day, damn that was fast!
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Wow, you are correct sir as I still have my tribute list for Bowie, Lonnie Mack, and Prince

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Here in the twin cities we are having a 24 hour celebration of his life. Started today at Paisley Park and ends at First Ave. where Purple Rain was filmed. True genius. Wrote over two hundred songs including ones for other artists. Including "Nothing Compares 2 U" that was sung by Snead O'Conner. R I P
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”