madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    What a wonderful artist he was!
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Options
    Rest in peace Prince. You are an icon and will always be.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    Options
    It's a very sad day in the Hayman household...
    The man was a Legend and will be Greatly missed.
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    TMZ is reporting that tonight's hot ticket at Heaven's Amphitheatre... Hendrix and Prince play together for the very first time. The show sold out in the blink of an eye.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    Longtime Prince fan and Detroiter. The Electrifying Mojo, a DJ in the city years ago used to play his music religiously very early in his career....they became friends. Many still talk of the 7-day sold out Detroit kick off of his 1984 tour.

RIP
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • pongshi
    pongshi Posts: 376
    Options
    Someone was talking about Prince at work but I tuned it out since I was really busy. A little later someone told me he died and my jaw almost hit the floor. I guess it is to be expected from all the overweight druggies, but Prince? Still can't believe it. A tremendous eccentric talent, and a bit ahead of his time when he first came on the scene. Rest in Peace my brother.
    Living Room
    Parasound Model 2250v2 amplifier
    Parasound P5 preamp
    Turntable 1 - Technics SL-1210Mk2 turntable with Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Turntable 2 - Dual 1229 turntable, Dual AS-12 45 RPM stacker, Shure V-15 Type III cartridge
    Schiit Mani Phono Preamp for Turntable 2
    Oppo UDP-205 CD/SACD USB and FLAC duties
    Technics RS-1500US reel to reel
    Polk SDA SRS (2nd Gen) fully modded
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Awesome musician and entertainer...could really shred the guitar
    RIP

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    Options
    Great video headrott, Prince poured his heart and soul into that lead. I want to say EC played the lead on the original WMGGW on the white album , with a tele?
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Options
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Great video headrott, Prince poured his heart and soul into that lead. I want to say EC played the lead on the original WMGGW on the white album , with a tele?

I want to say Strat, but am not 100%. It does sound more like a Tele though, but again, not sure. It was definately EC, and he did a stellar job on that song.

Prince definately stood out among many greats in the video. Prince way outdid the "lead" guitarist, IMO.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    Can anyone name someone that could write, produce, sing, play, and dance at the level that he could? There are those that have their niches, but I can't think of anyone of his generation that could do all at the level that he did.

He really was pretty amazing, whether he was to your own personal taste or not, he was extremely talented.

R.I.P.

HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Can anyone name someone that could write, produce, sing, play, and dance at the level that he could? There are those that have their niches, but I can't think of anyone of his generation that could do all at the level that he did.

He really was pretty amazing, whether he was to your own personal taste or not, he was extremely talented.

R.I.P.

Agreed, he was special.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nooshinjohn
    Options

R.I.P.

He was James Brown, Jimi Hendrix, and The Jacksons all rolled into one. IMHO his best shows were small venue stages where you could really see all that he was doing. I am still in awe of that summer of '81... The pain of loosing Lennon still cut pretty deep, and here was Prince carving things up in Minneapolis. He truly united cultures and a city that had some pretty deep issues back then.

As I said earlier, this one hurts... :'(
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Talented dude for sure. I wonder why so many are going so early. You think maybe because they were so effed up earlier that their body finally gave up trying ? If so, how do you explain Keith Richards then ?

I dunno man, 57....way too early. Musical genius he was, RIP.

Way too early indeed, if I'm not mistaken tho Tonyb, Prince was a non-drinking, no drug, vegan and workout nut. Pretty healthy dude as rockstars go.

Keith is embalmed BTW, that's how he does it!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    "Knew a girl named Nikki..."

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,163
    Options
    So sad for sure. A lot more to the cause of death than the flu, as shall be revealed in the autopsy but nonetheless, what a loss. Diamonds and Pearls LP just puts anything out there to shame, whether or not if you like the music, it's just so genius as he really was! RIP PRN.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Options
    Its sad that he was not recognize for the many contribution he has made in so many careers and the industry as a whole until his death, and some of that was his own doing being the recluse that he was.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Its sad that he was not recognize for the many contribution he has made in so many careers and the industry as a whole until his death, and some of that was his own doing being the recluse that he was.

If I'm not mistaken, he was a Jehovah Witness, which precludes him from undue attention and taking medicines. He was certainly a religious dude, and emotional dude, and his music expressed those emotions.

Nuthin' wrong with that from where I sit, we all live our own lives in a way that best suits us.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited April 2016
    Options
    His conversion or choice to follow the Jehovah Witness Faith was not until 2000 I believe. But I refer to industry standards, Prince has no star on the walk of fame (Oscar winner, 7x Gammy winner, Rock & Roll HOF) go figure? It all can be held back from his stance against the industry during the 80's when he was at his peak, during the time when his hand reached acrossed the music land scape. Songs for Stevie Nicks, Sheena Eston, Shelie E, Sanada O'Conner and The Time to name a few. I think he was at his best with ballads, even though he had some great party jams; (my Fav) Lets Work 1999, Lady Cab Driver, Head, Lets Go Crazy, Erotic City.......

I am for one to believe. let your work speak for itself, but sometimes the deck is just stack against you.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    Love Erotic City, It was original released as a B side to one of his singles but not on an actual album...
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 523
    Options
    Prince had some of the best guitar chops out there, although his songwriting and fame in other areas obscured that fact a bit. Another huge loss, after so many others recently. 57 is just way too young to go. RIP.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    Options
    Bruce Springsteen paying tribute to Prince....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkOxeKA2WNE
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Danny, that was beautiful...
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    d4yhwzhnhaho.jpg
    I wanna party like it's 1999 with this cat!!!

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    FYI---Thursday night at LSAF on the first floor Carrollton room.
    Since several of the Polkie friends will have arrived, I have put together a compilation list of songs to honor the following artists.
    Prince
    David Bowie
    Lonnie Mack
    Merle Haggard

Join us...We will raise a glass and jam.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I am in, Ron! Steve and I were listening to Prince and Elvin Bishop last night.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    FYI---Thursday night at LSAF on the first floor Carrollton room.
    Since several of the Polkie friends will have arrived, I have put together a compilation list of songs to honor the following artists.
    Prince
    David Bowie
    Lonnie Mack
    Merle Haggard

Join us...We will raise a glass and jam.

That is what I'm talking about B) Kudos and I'll be there to join you in this!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Wha? Something happened to Prince?
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    I wish I could go to one of these fests... they sound like a great time

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    I liked him on 'Chico and the Man' but kinda lost track of him...