Are these FrankenPolk 10As? Now what?

Options
CGTIII
CGTIII Posts: 1,033
edited April 2016 in Vintage Speakers
New (to me) pair of 10As via SA. :) Both Peerless and all four mid/woofs seem to be working but immediately noticed one is much more "live" than the other. Based on reading here I expected live from both. Turns out one (X) has MW6500s but the other (Y) has a MW6502 with connections running to a MW6501!!!

It's the mismatched one that stands out. Y is possibly twice the mid/woof loudness as X with a very nice tone but seems overbalanced to its own tweeter, which also isn't good.
I haven't compared the crossovers.

To balance (X) and (Y), do I need to either find a MW6500 to replace the MW6502 in (Y) and wire it like (X), or find another MW6502 to replace one of the two MW6500s in (X) and wire it like (Y)? Do you guys need to know about the crossovers before being able to answer fully?
Expect that there will be bumps in the road. Choose to not let them rattle you.

Polk - Monitor 10As, SDA 2Bs, LSi9s, White RTi4s, S4s, M3s, various centers.
Boston - CR7, CR6s, CR4s.
Subs - M&K V4, M&K VX-7B, JBL SUB150P, Jamo Sub 250, and others.
​Thompson Adventures, Inc.
Post edited by CGTIII on

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,639
    Options
    I was never good at Algebra X+y divided by 6502 X 6501 - 6500....what was the question again?
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    You need two 6500s
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • CGTIII
    Options
    I'm sure two 6500s would be ideal. I'm also interested in what's workable, especially since the 6500s are no longer *widely* available. I'm not looking at this as a restoration project, but rather to make them work well again, even if not entirely proper.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,864
    Options
    There is no, "what's workable", there's only what works properly.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• westmassguy
    Options
    If you want the two speakers to match each other, then you need two MW6500s. If you want the one speaker to have matched drivers, you need a MW6501. The 6500s are 6.5 ohm, and the 6501s are 7.75 ohm. Best performance would be with all matched drivers. 2nd best would be MW6500s in one and MW6501s in the other.
    The MW6502 is a 4 ohm driver and has no business being in there.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • CGTIII
    Options
    Do you think anyone would want to trade an MW6501 for my MW6502?

• westmassguy
    Options
    CGTIII wrote: »
    Do you think anyone would want to trade an MW6501 for my MW6502?

Only if someone reads this thread. Your other option would be eBay. They do pop up every now and then. Just make sure the seller packs the woofer carefully, with lots of padding.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Dave, I was going to have a heart attack. What does he mean no #6502s. That's what I have in mine and he did the x-overs. He would have told me so I thought. Well boys just smack me across the face I have early M7s obviously a different speaker and shame on me for not reading carefully. Moron, Lew and I've been up for hours.... lol lol at me.
    For those in need I do have a #6502 in my closet.That I'm sure of..
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • TNHNDYMAN
    TNHNDYMAN Posts: 2,145
    Options
    May have some 6500's in my stash. Send me a pm if interested and I'll dig the box of goodies out and check for you.
    2-ch System: Parasound P/LD 2000 pre, Parasound HCA-1000 amp, Parasound T/DQ Tuner, Phase Technology PC-100 Tower speakers, Technics SL-1600 Turntable, Denon 2910 SACD/CD player, Peachtree DAC iT and X1asynchorus USB converter, HSU VTF-3 subwoofer.

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Are they the bare metal 6500's or the black ones?

If The Handyman doesn't have any in his stash, I have 3 bare metal 6500s, 1 black 6500, and one 6502 in my spare driver stash. I am happy to trade my re-set and glued drivers for drivers with shifted magnets, if you want. Let me know!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • CGTIII
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks guys. PM sent to @tnhndyman.

@lawdogg - The 6500s I have are the bare metal ones. Just curious -- do those differ functionally from the black 6500s?
    Post edited by CGTIII on

• CGTIII
    edited April 2016
    Options
    If and only if I could only find a 6501 but not two 6500s:
    Since 6500s and 6501s were both original stock in 10As (or so I've read,) it seems the two speakers would be best matched with one of each since the response of each model probably differs slightly. True? If so, which should best be to the "outside?"

(Yes, I realize they probably weren't normally made with one of each, but seriously guys, they're speakers, not religious icons. There's more than one way to do it "properly," as evidenced by the many upgrades promoted here.)

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Between earlier (bare metal) and later (black) 6500's, they have the same DCR, someone else might know if there are any differences other than color.

To me, it makes the most sense (other than 4 6500s) to match the L/R speakers' drivers in a mirrored configuration. As long as the impedance of each is the designed-for value.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    but seriously guys, they're speakers, not religious icons.

:o Heretic!!!!

• westmassguy
    Options
    If and only if I could only find a 6501 but not two 6500s:

(Yes, I realize they probably weren't normally made with one of each, but seriously guys, they're speakers, not religious icons. There's more than one way to do it "properly," as evidenced by the many upgrades promoted here.)

You've been given several options by members who know the 10s inside and out.
    This is a Polk forum, and you're in the vintage section. Most here consider them more than just speakers, they're classic Polks. If you don't like the replies you've been given, that's fine. They're your speakers. Do what you want with them.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • CGTIII
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @westmassguy - I respect that they're classic. That's part of why I bought them. (Though it turns out they were poorly treated with the 6502.) That's also part of why I'm trying to bring them back to normalcy, if not stock. (Again, see the upgrades many do.)

I also appreciate the knowledge and helpfulness of the community here though some seem terse and/or grouchy and would be more effective communicating in the positive. After many years of playing cards, I'm immune to growling, though I do notice it. Some folks just like to growl. Some like to provoke growling. Some both. lol

• westmassguy
    Options
    Not provoking, but you're on a Polk forum. We want to help you do it right.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,989
    Options
    I think I have a 6501. PM me.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,864
    Options
    You keep referring to upgrades, which without a doubt improve the sound. However, none of the upgrades involve changing the mid-drivers to something other than the stock version. See the difference?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't know about Monitor 10s but I agree with the above members (listen to them they are wise beyond your years trust me), you want to make these as close to original configuration as possible. If you intend to enjoy the 10s for what they were and not what they now are I would be patient and ask around. I found someone one here with a PR that isn't made anymore. Respect goes a long way and that includes respecting the speakers because let me tell you my monitor 5s aren't just "speakers". They create emotion with the sound that resonates, they give me the ability to escape and enter a world where music rules.

If you show love to the forum they will show love back. Just not sure if I will get love from @F1nut ever since he saw me use silicon to repair my drivers. =O
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • CGTIII
    edited April 2016
    Options
    @F1Nut - Am I mistaken about 6501s being stock in the 10As? 6501s and 6500s are all I'm considering now for them.

Seems like the cabinets, PRs, and mids are the only things not sanctioned for upgrades. That makes half of the functional components, counting terminals, crossovers, and tweeters. I respect your opinion but, as a newcomer, it seems there are some sacred cows. Wouldn't a true purist rail against changing *anything* that isn't broken?

• codycatalist
    Options
    From what I've read yes and no. The crossover parts they used back in the day didn't have good shelf life. You will also learn Polk did a lot of things on the fly (which I have grown to love) so some speakers might not exactly be like every other speaker.

As far as mid and PRs dynamatting (not a real word obviously) the baskets is recommended to cut down on unwanted resonance. On top of that comes gluing the magnets to prevent magnet shift.

After that is done you have to check how well the cabinet is holding air pressure by gently pressing on the PR. See how long it takes to depressurize into place, I've read 2-3 seconds should suffice. If it's less seal the cabinets with loctite AP, add hurricane nuts or Larry's rings (if available).

There is a lot that can be done to improve speakers, I might be new to this forum as well but I've read many of hours worth of advice.

In the end everyone wants you to get the MOST out of your speakers. We have love for the speakers and the ability to help others hear what we hear.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • CGTIII
    Options
    @codycatalist - Thank you for the tips. Your appreciation for Polks and Polkies shines brightly. :smiley:

• codycatalist
    Options
    Thanks! I'm just passionate about what these other folks are passionate about. There is a WEALTH of knowledge around here as long as you keep open ears. Build up your posts then hit the flea market WTB section once you have put some time in. People around here are more than happy to help out.

• CGTIII
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I've been reading quite a bit here. Interesting and informative -- mostly, which is all one could hope for. I have decent, though untrained, ears. Hope to hear some of the better gear soon, but fear I'll *need* it too much afterward. :|

Friend fried my 6' Magnaplanars and Crown amp about 25 years ago. I'm just getting back into it. So much really good gear is available for so (comparatively) little now.
    Post edited by CGTIII on

• codycatalist
    edited April 2016
    Options
    My only issue is affording good sources, I was lucky to pick up a Yamaha Av34 for $15. It sounds okay but has enough power for my RTAs. I prefer the Marantz sound with my monitors, perfect mids and warmth. There are always great deals floating around the flea market. Check it out sometime, just don't get offended if they charge you more since you are under 100 posts.

• Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Options
    If you have early 10a's with Peerless tweeters, the correct 6.5 is the 6500.
  • CGTIII
    Options
    @Faustin - TY. Working toward that now.