Netflix

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,947
It's no secret I'm not the biggest fanboy of Netflix, but the wife kept bugging me to get it. She never asks for much so what the heck, signed up.

Scrolling through all the choices, there was maybe 2 series I'd be interested in and the movie selections are pretty dated. I will say however, House of Cards in 4k is simply phenomenal. Anyone who can't tell the difference, from any distance, needs their eyes checked.

Question though, how do you get rid of that soap opera effect on Netflix ? Why doesn't my picture adjustments work with Netflix ? I don't have that soap opera effect on regular cable viewing, why would it be different for Netflix ? Is there a pic adjustment specific to Netflix I'm missing ?

Also, I will say that the service so far has been solid, no hiccups, breaks, steady reliable stream.
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    edited March 2016
    Might grow on you, or streaming in general. I'm about to drop cable back to the lowest package I can that still offers the weather channel. I find myself shaking my head regularly at the lack of decent content on cable's hundreds of channels of nothingness, and always end up streaming something instead.

From your post I'm gathering you've already tried adjusting whatever your brand calls its motion smoothing option? I think on my TV, adjustments are specific to each HDMI input, or there was an option to apply the adjustments to all inputs, can't remember for sure?

Which TV is it?
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    Sony 850c 55 in. 4k, Netflix comes in on the same input as cable, so why wouldn't the same pic adjustments apply ? I'm using Netflix by way of the onboard streaming options associated with the tv, no external source like a roku.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,787
    edited March 2016
    Dontcha love it when old people get new technology? Can't figure out how to operate it then curse the world for their inabilities.
    Big step up from the rabbit ears, eh Tony?
  • msg
    Oh, I see. I have a Sony, too. It sounds like with using the smart apps it isn't using the same input as your cable? I'll mess with it on mine to see if I can find anything, but I use the Roku mostly because that's what I started with and it's faster to navigate.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    msg wrote: »
    Oh, I see. I have a Sony, too. It sounds like with using the smart apps it isn't using the same input as your cable? I'll mess with it on mine to see if I can find anything, but I use the Roku mostly because that's what I started with and it's faster to navigate.

I would imagine the Roku your using is on a separate input. That makes sense as pic adjustments can be setup for each input. Not my case though.

BTW Russ, up yours buddy boy, least my rabbit ears are real, who cares if they have Playboy written on them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    tonyb wrote: »
    Sony 850c 55 in. 4k, Netflix comes in on the same input as cable, so why wouldn't the same pic adjustments apply ? I'm using Netflix by way of the onboard streaming options associated with the tv, no external source like a roku.

Isn't it great having all these apps within the tv Tony? I have the Sony 32R500 & 40R510 tvs and to just be able to press the Netflix button on the remote makes things so easy, I like easy!

A lot of people rave about Orange Is The New Black series. I've tried watching it since Kate Mulgrew is one of my favorite actors, but the main character drives me crazy. But you might like it.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    edited March 2016
    cfrizz wrote: »
    I've tried watching it since Kate Mulgrew is one of my favorite actresses

Captain Janeway!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    Yeah baby, Captain Janeway.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,895
    Tony, check out Jessica Jones...she is bada$$.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • msg
    edited March 2016
    So you've just got cable coming in direct, no converter box?

Yes, I just checked out the settings on my Sony. I think the display settings for the Apps might be controlled under the settings for TV, so if this is the case, and you're not using a converter box, I would also think you should be good. weird.

I checked it out anyway, and here's how mine is set up.

On my model, I switch to the TV input, and then access the settings as follows:
    Home
    Settings
    Select Picture & Display
    Picture Adjustments

Scroll down to Picture Mode, and try turning off the setting for Motionflow.
    If that doesn't do it, also try to adjust the settings for Reality Creation and Smooth Gradation.

Here are the current settings on my model.
    On the TV input, which I don't use, it's set for
    Picture Mode: Standard
    Reality Creation: Auto
    Smooth Gradation: High
    Motionflow: Off

On the HDMI input I use for the Roku, it's set for
    Picture Mode: Standard
    Reality Creation: Auto
    Smooth Gradation: Low
    Motionflow: Off

I'm pretty sure I turned off Motionflow for every input as soon as I got the TV set up. For whatever reason, I'm not able to get the Netflix app working on my TV to test it [edit: getting a 5010 error on Refresh Internet Content; apparently the solution is to reset to factory default], but I know that the input used with the Roku player doesn't exhibit the soap opera effect with the settings shown.

I'm pretty sure it's just Motionflow that controls this. I think every brand calls it something different.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,357
    Tony, check out Jessica Jones...she is bada$$.
    Laverne Cox is more his type.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    Daredevil S2 released yesterday!

+1 on Jessica Jones
    No excuses!
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,032
    Im also a huge fan of the built in Netflix on the new Sonys. The dangerous feature with TV series is the next episode turns its on in like 2 minutes after the last.... so if you are not careful next thing you know you spent 12 hrs. watching Shatner Star Trek or Dr. Who!!
  • tonyb
    To tell the truth guys, the pic quality on Netflix is pretty good, when it's 4k or 1080, anything less for me is unwatchable. Netflix on the Sony works fast and flawless, I see no reason to go 3rd party apps. If yours isn't so great, may be a flaw in the tv rather than with Netflix itself.

MSG,
    My motion control settings are off, and I do have a cable box.

Cathy, Amen sister....you diggin' your set so far too I take it ? Which speaking of....don't make me contract you to beat up yourself, you owe us a review on the new tv girlfriend. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,105
    You got the same Sony I have Tony I can, stream netflix on either the Oppo or the Sony, the Sony is a simpler platform and easier to navigate than the Oppo, not that it matters. Yeah the 4k content is simply stunning the nature seen ones are really cool, heck the other day, the wife was sleeping had the 4k fireplace running with the headphones on lots of snap cracking and popping drinking beers, yeah I'm easily amused. I also was watching some Marvel based series that Netflix is showing in 4K interesting to say the least.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • tonyb
    Yeah but, is your soap opera effect coming through on Netflix with the Sony ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • maggiefan
    maggiefan Posts: 223
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Im also a huge fan of the built in Netflix on the new Sonys. The dangerous feature with TV series is the next episode turns its on in like 2 minutes after the last.... so if you are not careful next thing you know you spent 12 hrs. watching Shatner Star Trek or Dr. Who!!

If you go into your account setting on the Netflix web site, you can turn that off that setting for automatically playing the next episode.

Larry
    Larry
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    When using the built-in TV app are you guys listening through the TV speakers or do you have the sound routed back to your pre?
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Smart TV's are smart but slow... slow processors and not enough memory to buffer efficiently. When I bought my Plasma I bought a stupid one b/c I already had a Chromecast... Since then I have changed that tv to a FIRETV and have that plugged in to an HDMI input on my Pre... Works great that way. I have a smart Samsung 4K tv and it is slow compared to the FireTV.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    Mines pretty fast, faster than even I thought it would be, and I'm fairly picky.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,105
    Yeah but, is your soap opera effect coming through on Netflix with the Sony ?

Haven't really noticed any haven't watched a lot of 4k stuff but will look out for ghosting tonight if I view some 4k content.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • cfrizz
    To tell the truth guys, the pic quality on Netflix is pretty good, when it's 4k or 1080, anything less for me is unwatchable. Netflix on the Sony works fast and flawless, I see no reason to go 3rd party apps. If yours isn't so great, may be a flaw in the tv rather than with Netflix itself.

MSG,
    My motion control settings are off, and I do have a cable box.

Cathy, Amen sister....you diggin' your set so far too I take it ? Which speaking of....don't make me contract you to beat up yourself, you owe us a review on the new tv girlfriend. ;)

Tony, my sincerest apologies, I'm more into music then I am into video/tv. And I don't remember you posting a review on your tv! :p But I will do so now. LOL.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • cfrizz
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I've tried watching it since Kate Mulgrew is one of my favorite actresses

Captain Janeway!
    dromunds wrote: »
    Yeah baby, Captain Janeway.

WOW! I'm impressed, how old are you guys, if you don't mind me asking.

During the entire run of the series, most of the BOYS on the ST boards absolutely despised her.

They couldn't stand her voice, didn't like how she was a captain, blah, blah , blah.

You two are the first I have come across who seem to like her. My brother thinks she great!

So do tell please, you have me curious. Did you always like her, or have you simply discovered that she has always been a terrific actor.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    edited March 2016
    I'm 32

Always liked her as Captain Janeway, and Voyager in general. Orange is a decent show too, I watch the new seasons when they come out. I wouldn't buy it on Blu-ray or anything but I'll watch it on Netflix. I don't know her from any other shows besides those two and if it weren't for Star Trek I wouldn't know who she was when I saw her in Orange. So basically, like @nbrowser put it, I'm a Star Trek nerd. I can't get into TOS for some reason though and TNG is by far my favorite. The new movies are good action flicks in their own right but they aren't Star Trek.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Voyager was pretty good. I found some of the writing sloppy ("reset" button episodes), but there was some good trek in there too.

Kate Mulgrew had a small part in "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins". Hands up if you remember that one!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmek0f1Illo
    (didn't embed since this is fairly off-topic)
  • tonyb
    nbrowser wrote: »

Tony, my sincerest apologies, I'm more into music then I am into video/tv. And I don't remember you posting a review on your tv! :p But I will do so now. LOL.

Don't give up a review of your new television until he does of his...or I'll pay him a rather unpleasant visit...lol.

I have put up a review of mine, fairly lengthy one too.

Just bustin' your chops Cathy, your Ok in my book. Ken on the other hand..... :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 5,032
    Tony.....what size screen did u get.....I am interested in your review due I bought a lower model, 40 inch Sony recently and for a 2nd TV it's great. My biggest complaint is movie content via DirecTv at times is marginal....mainly due to splotchy blacks.... that may be mainly a signal compression issue? If I had to replace our PJ with a panel I would probably go Sony again.
  • tonyb
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Tony.....what size screen did u get.....I am interested in your review due I bought a lower model, 40 inch Sony recently and for a 2nd TV it's great. My biggest complaint is movie content via DirecTv at times is marginal....mainly due to splotchy blacks.... that may be mainly a signal compression issue? If I had to replace our PJ with a panel I would probably go Sony again.

Kev,

55 inch, I really wanted the 900 or 950 but couldn't swing it. I have no problems with blacks at all. Which model did you get ?

Do a search for Sony 850c and I'm sure my review will come up. In my review, you'll see I really had to monkey with the settings to get everything to look as I liked.

Anything less than 1080i looks horrible on a 4k set. The old garbage in garbage out rule ? I dunno, the upscaling these sets do works well when fed a quality signal, but too low of a quality and no magic dust can over come it.

You'll also see, and I make the point a few times, buy the tv with the best processors in them for various reasons. The budget sets are budget for a reason, they don't have the top processors or screens in them. That may show it's flaws on speed of streaming, pic quality, or motion blur.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,895
    I have never owned a flat screen other than Sony. My newest is a less than a year old 60" Bravia smart tv. I did not go 4k, the picture quality difference to me did not warrant the extra premium. Sony's are great TV's as far as I am concerned.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    I have been mainly using Netflix for BluRay's and then watching TV shows. It's great for the kids to watch cartoons but when I browse through the available movies for streaming the selection is VERY poor. You are still better off getting the disc through mail if you want decent movie selection.