HD Vinyl

Options
Just stumbled across this article: http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/03/15/high-definition-vinyl-will-soon-become-a-reality/
I'll never go back to vinyl, but should be interesting for those who have a lot invested, since it's backward compatible.
Home Theater/2 Channel:
Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    they'll still find a way to screw it up...... AKA loudness war's
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

No doubt
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    If I have to buy my favorite albums a third time...

Interesting and thanks for sharing this.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If I have to buy my favorite albums a third time...

Interesting and thanks for sharing this.
    That's why I'm not going back to vinyl

Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options

I'm not so sure about that, was reading some stuff awhile ago on it where a lot of recording engineers are banding together to stop the process. Of course there will always be some out there...
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    Options
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,045
    Options
    I am speechless.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am speechless.

I don't believe it, not for a second!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I mean, isn't HD vinyl sort of akin to a high performance Yugo?
    Conceptually speaking, I mean.

;)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,688
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I mean, isn't HD vinyl sort of akin to a high performance Yugo?
    Conceptually speaking, I mean.

;)

Polishing a toid, as it were.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Wait a second... Isn't vinyl the highest definition you can get? I mean it's already a non digitized representation of a sound wave...
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    yeah but them polyvinylchoride molecules are pretty long chains... that right there'll limit yer resolution.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Wait a second... Isn't vinyl the highest definition you can get? I mean it's already a non digitized representation of a sound wave...

It should be. As long as the recording is good it should be "high definition"............but there is no way to measure it with an analog recording.

I am betting they will screw it up and use the very highest definition DIGITAL recordings to master the vinyl
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    delkal wrote: »

It should be. As long as the recording is good it should be "high definition"............but there is no way to measure it with an analog recording.

I am betting they will screw it up and use the very highest definition DIGITAL recordings to master the vinyl

I couldn't explain why, maybe it's all in my head, maybe it's the physical act of the stylus running through the groove, who knows... but even records pressed from high quality digital files sounds more pleasing to me than the high quality digital files played digitally.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • wolfie62
    wolfie62 Posts: 24
    Options
    Obviously none of you guys have ever listened to a dbx disc. I have several plus the decoder. 95 dB dynamic headroom, 20-20k freq response, and will blow you away if you ever listen to one on a good system. I would love it if the dbx disc was to come back into production. Problem was, the first time, it showed up only 3 years before the compact disc did. So it didnt live long.
    Invention is the mother of necessity.

"The Vintage Square":

Polk RTA 8T (1988, new to me 2018), Peerless+MB Quart DIY (1992), Velodyne DLS 3500R (2005)

Dynaudio DIY tower 1994: Dual 28 mm soft dome tweeters, dual 9" woofers, custom equal-compromise 2nd order CO, 1.35 cu ft enclosure

Denon DP45-F (1981), JVC QL Y5F (1980), ADC XLM MKIII (1982), Shure V15V (1982)

Sherwood S9600-CP (1981)

Aiwa ADF 780 Cassette (1988)

Custom DIY dual monoblock 235 w/ch IGBT output power amplifiers

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    delkal wrote: »

I couldn't explain why, maybe it's all in my head, maybe it's the physical act of the stylus running through the groove, who knows... but even records pressed from high quality digital files sounds more pleasing to me than the high quality digital files played digitally.

It's all that distortion from the needle dragging in the grooves that you like.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk