OG Monitor 7 upgrades

Options
I recently joined the Polk Monitor 7 club (cult?), when I picked up an inexpensive pair at the local electronics exchange. After playing my old Marantz receiver though them a few times I realized what all the fuss is about.

I posted about them over in the Audiokarma forum and got some good advice about upgrading them. Based on: (1) the uncoated paper cone in the radiator; (2) grill attachments; and (3) the hard-mounted crossovers, they appear to be the very first series of Monitor 7's. They also have low, consecutive serial numbers (1255 and 1256). The best guess was 1976.

When I went to damp the baskets and upgrade the crossovers I discovered that the drivers had been sealed into the cabinet with moretite putty (further evidence of their great age). The crossovers themselves were mounted on mdf perfboard and put together in a charmingly haphazard manner. After doing the modifications and sealing up the cabinets they sound even sweeter than I could have imagined.
lja6m4j5bv9b.jpg
rwc1y1apx9fw.jpg
260j2m7wvcw5.jpg
isxf5mm42pdo.jpg
jwo2z0iodoop.jpg
3zymz5b5v28e.jpg

Comments

• dyche01
    dyche01 Posts: 8
    Options
    From all these clues, can anyone give me a more accurate idea of their vintage? I feel like I am working on a handcrafted product. Does anybody know many people were putting these speakers together in the early days.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,778
    Options
    Just procured a '74~'75 set of 7's. Legend has it that they were hand built by Matt Polk and the early crew of minions. So you might have one of the early runs built by the original crew.
    Still love the sound of them. Easy on the ears and smooth as silk.
    Nice grab on the pair! Rock on!
  • shanedrew
    shanedrew Posts: 84
    Options
    What camera are you using?
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    Those are awesome ! Good to see you (or someone ) epoxied those shifter magnets. I took my monitor 5s apart to do some crossover upgrades and the simple act of sitting them down on the workbench shifted a magnet. I made a jig and fixed the original speaker.
  • dyche01
    dyche01 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the comments!

I suspected that these might have been hand-built in the early days. I am blown away by how tight and clear they sound, especially with acoustic instruments and female vocals.

The camera is an Olympus micro-4/3 body (PEN-1) with an amazing old Konica SLR lens from the 1980s (57 mm f1.2). It is sharp and fast and has great bokeh.

And, based on pro-tips from another forum, the first thing I did when I opened the cabinets was to epoxy the magnets with JB Weld. I am really impressed that you were able to reseat a shifted magnet!
  • pwilson2
    pwilson2 Posts: 3
    Options
    they are really snice speakers .
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,062
    Options
    Very nice! I had a similar pair and loved them. They do a lot right for a budget speaker.
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,235
    Options
    dyche01 wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments!

I suspected that these might have been hand-built in the early days. I am blown away by how tight and clear they sound, especially with acoustic instruments and female vocals.

The camera is an Olympus micro-4/3 body (PEN-1) with an amazing old Konica SLR lens from the 1980s (57 mm f1.2). It is sharp and fast and has great bokeh.

And, based on pro-tips from another forum, the first thing I did when I opened the cabinets was to epoxy the magnets with JB Weld. I am really impressed that you were able to reseat a shifted magnet!

Kind of amazing how little it took to shift that magnet. I was very careful best i recall. The magnet is fixed as good as new. I have listened closely and there is no problem whatsoever with the repair. And as was stated above they are very nice even though they are not 7s.I put some Clarity PX series (12uF) in the tweeter side of the crossover and left the rest as is (for now) however i am not sure if i should mess with them any more as they sound fantastic as they are.
  • tat
    tat Posts: 159
    Options
    I just bought some old 7's; how do I epoxy the magnets? Just run a bead around the top (exposed) edge where the ceramic magnet meets the steel frame? Thanks.
    When freedom is outlawed, only outlaws are free...
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Yep, that's it!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,003
    Options
    You need to apply a bead around the top and bottom. Loctite Power Grab is a lot easier to work with.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 748
    Options
    tat wrote: »
    I just bought some old 7's; how do I epoxy the magnets? Just run a bead around the top (exposed) edge where the ceramic magnet meets the steel frame? Thanks.
    F1nut wrote: »
    You need to apply a bead around the top and bottom. Loctite Power Grab is a lot easier to work with.

This thread has good info and pictures.
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/171529/polk-10b-monitors-crossovers-and-tweeter-upgrades