Dynamat installation Tip for TL3.1 (and maybe others)

Options
Recently followed upgrade tips from the forum and spent time doing the Dynamat of the speaker baskets. During this process I found that leftover cutouts from the PR were a perfect match to use on the drivers. Therefor very little waste of expensive Dynamat. I basically applied the Dynamat in 4 sections around the PR and very carefully using only the very tip of an exacto knife cut out the holes. When I repeated the process on the drivers I found that these cutouts fit the drivers in 4 sections perfectly. Saving a lot of time and material. Use one of the cutouts from the PR to use as template for making additional sections as needed depending on how many drivers you have. Hope this will make your upgrade job easier.

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    Options
    Great info. Thanks!
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    @Gunther16
    What's the "PR" that you refer to repeatedly?
    Not trying to be rude,but a LOT of people on this forum abbreviate stuff when posting,because they assume everyone knows what they're talking about. I have a pair of the 3.1TL's that I eventually want to upgrade when my money is right. So this thread is of great interest to me.
    Thanks for posting!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    @Gunther16
    Not trying to be rude,but a LOT of people on this forum abbreviate stuff when posting,because they assume everyone knows what they're talking about. I have a pair of the 3.1TL's that I eventually want to upgrade when my money is right. So this thread is of great interest to me.
    Thanks for posting!

Passive Radiator...
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    @Gunther16
    Not trying to be rude,

OH MY......you mean the pictures didn't help?

• honestaquarian
    Options
    @pitdogg2
    Please note I was also referring to the larger issue of people abbreviating things on here and assuming everyone knows what they are talking about. Since there are pics of things other than just a passive radiator,it wasn't obvious to me and I asked. Thanks @ken brydson
    (*that plus the fact that I am at work and viewing this on my phone*)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    I think most of the abbreviations we use are pretty self explanatory but occasionally one will throw me for a loop. I remember a few years ago someone was talking about the BM features of an AVR. I couldn't come up with anything other than the obvious "bowel movement". It was Bass Management, lol...
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    MOOAMPSTMIDUWYDFTSE!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Most of our abbreviations make perfect sense to me, I don't understand why you don't find them self explanatory.

You got that one without help though, right? ;)

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,575
    Options
    thank god texting has evolved..........JSIAIMHO

that's; Just sayin is all In My Honest Opinion
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    The funny thing is that right before I read this I had a conversation with a customer at wprk about how people just naturally assume that since this is the way that they think,this is what they do,this is what works for them,this is what they like. ALL 7 BILLION PEOPLE ON THE PLANET EARTH ARE JUST LIKE THEM. So the salespeople should just KNOW what they want. That is when the arguments ALWAYS start. You should hear all of the condescending and judgemental comments that come flying out of their mouths when they realize everyone ISN'T just like them❕❗
  • Gunther16
    Gunther16 Posts: 243
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Actually Honestaquarian is correct, my bad! PR = Passive Radiator or for folks that don't know the word passive, its the unpowered woofer. There are many times abbreviations have stunned me so I can relate, as can everybody on here. Sorry Honest its a habit, I'll attempt to do better.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Gunther16 wrote: »
    Actually Honestaquarian is correct, my bad! PR = Passive Radiator or for folks that don't know the word passive, its the unpowered woofer. There are many times abbreviations have stunned me so I can relate, as can everybody on here. Sorry Honest its a habit, I'll attempt to do better.

@Gunther16
    It was not my intent to start a big debate on your thread.I was simply asking for a clarification and got one from both you and @ken brydson
    I finally saw your answer today and thank you and Ken.

People are sheep I have noticed over and over and over (*and over*) and will follow the crowd no matter what. Just because SOME understand something and/or go a certain way,then they think or assume that everyone either does or should understand that thing or go that way. When they find out that is not the case then they start picking on that person and/or judging them. Some of it is in humor and some of it is condescension masked in humor.

Hard to tell which is which sometimes.

Just look at the series of comments above that came following such a simple request for clarification to see the point I am making.
    Maybe it's just me,but I could never quite get what the point of all of that snark is as it was just a simple question..................... (*and I am wondering who will jump on this and continue with the snark and/or judgements instead of just letting it go*)
  • Gunther16
    Options
    There is no such thing as a stupid question, Stupid is when the question is not asked.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    There is no such thing as a stupid question, Stupid is when the question is not asked.

@Gunther16
    While I agree with you 200% I have gotten PM's (*Private messages*) from mulitple people thanking me for calling out the "Circus" if you will. They made it clear to me that they do not want to join the circus of snark and think that it is not appropriate,which is why they sent me a PM instead of posting on whatever the thread happens to be where all of it is going down.
    The problem is when you have multiple people piling on one person with all of their snark and thinking that they are being funny,it sets up a chilling effect that makes others-who are not as brave-if you will who don't want to chime in with questions. That while perfectly appropriate and can help them when they get an answer,may also invite the snark from those who like to do such things.
    I call them bullies,because they intimidate people on these public forums.
    I have gotten into multiple word wars and strong debates with multiple people on this forum over the years whom I felt were trying to bully me into submission and I WAS NOT having it.
    Just take a look at the thread that @KennethSwauger started about the Upgrade Company with comments that he stripped from another thread I was participating in.

SEVERAL guys jumped on me simultaneously.

Why????

My experience has been that most people do not want to get involved in that sort of nonsense.
    So they shy away and do not speak up.......

Again it was a simple question and look at the series of not at all helpful responses.
    The same sort of thing happened on a thread that I started about how to get the best soundstage from SDA's ten years ago.
    This is what drove me from the forum years ago. It was almost a decade before I returned.

Again I agree with you 200% about asking questions.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,696
    Options
    I've had to Google a few acronyms on some audio forums including this one which just lead to more acquired knowledge... TIA
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Thanks for the tips - what kind of Dynamat did you use?
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • Gunther16
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Dynamat Extreme, Wedge Pack, purchase 2 and used 1 pack totally and just a little of 2nd pack. Keeping rest for future applications. Note: wasted some from 1st pack cause I was in learning process. I might have been able to get by with just 1 pack but was glad I had the 2nd.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    Let's take a deep breath, exhale and calm down a bit. Please?
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I was making general statements about the activities going on on this forum. I did not mention you specifically.
    YOU came into this thread out of nowhere taking all that I said personally and trying to put it all on me (*thereby proving my point about the bullying*)
    NOW you just wanna keep the mess going and put it on me (*thereby proving my point about that*)
    You could have simply read it (*or not*) and let the general statement go and moved on.

NOPE
    Ya gotta come up in the mans thread starting some mess and blaming me!!
    THIS IS NOT ALL ABOUT YOU
    LET IT GO AND MOVE ON
  • Gunther16
    Options
    Geez, Here I was trying to be helpful to forum members and it turns into a sorry thread. Sorry I posted!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Not your fault Gunther, not even close. That responsibility belongs to the forum victim.

I'm out.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• honestaquarian
    Options
    Wouldn't have been an issue if you had never come in with all that mess
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,446
    Options
    I feel bad for Gunther. His OP and photos and writeup were insightful, and then his thread got wrecked. I wouldn't mind if Ken waved the magic brush at the irrelevant content here leaving behind the helpful stuff. I knew what PR meant, and it was a legit question, but I wouldn't miss the rest. Maybe ease up on the condescension, and further, take the confrontational stuff off board, otherwise all you're doing is littering someone's thread. I'd have been annoyed if this were mine after I'd taken the time to do a writeup. Go to your rooms. No music tonight.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Nightfall
    Options
    I thought the ;) made it obvious. Sorry you took my humor as condescending.

• xjghost
    xjghost Posts: 1,083
    Options
    Thanks for posting these. I have a set that I want to dynamat. Actually I have about 3 vintage polks I want to do that too..... Haven't done it yet because I was unsure where to do it and what else I wanted to do while I was in there.
    HT/2Channel: Emotiva MMC-1, Adcom GFA-555II, Polk SDA 3.1's, Teac TN-300 TT, Polk Center and Sub.

Bedroom system: Carver CT-24, Parasound HCA-800II, Monitor 10's

Additional projects: RTA 12c's
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Dynamat Extreme, Wedge Pack, purchase 2 and used 1 pack totally and just a little of 2nd pack. Keeping rest for future applications. Note: wasted some from 1st pack cause I was in learning process. I might have been able to get by with just 1 pack but was glad I had the 2nd.

Thanks so much. Maybe I'll buy 4 since I have Monitor 10s and 7s to do as well.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)