Burn In

Options
What do you think is the best way to burn in new components?
Leave music on continuous on low volume never turning it off?
Play music at regular listening levels for a several hours a day and turn off?
Does the volume matter?
Does it help to turn the system off to cool down and back on?
Is one source better than another?
The guy the rebuilt my Haflers recommended white noise as a substitute for music.
None of the above.
All of the above.
Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options
    I can hardly wait for the responses.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    In before gatecrasher posts a picture of an Easy Bake Oven because that's still really hilarious. Again.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Just play your music as you normally would or if you want to speed up the process, put something on repeat when you're not around. You can write down the hours played if it helps you keep track. It'll take about 200 hours for those new crossovers to fully cook.

As for turning your rig on and off. I rarely turn off my gear as I see no reason to do so, but that's your choice.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I rarely turn off my gear as I see no reason to do so, but that's your choice.

Tubed gear included?

• F1nut
    Options
    Tube power amps should always be turned off when you're not around.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Options
    I mean preamps, cd players, etc that use signal tubes.

What about if that same piece also has a tube rectifier?

• F1nut
    Options

I leave mine on 24/7. They're not like power tubes, which can cause serious problems when they let go.

I'm not 100% on that one. Ask Brock, he's the king of rectifier tubes.

President of Club Polk

• Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    In before gatecrasher posts a picture of an Easy Bake Oven because that's still really hilarious. Again.

Hey I wasn't going to post the Easy Bake!

lol

But what about nuking them in a microwave?

14mu9es.jpg

One of these original Amana Radaranges should do the job!

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited February 2016
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

I leave mine on 24/7. They're not like power tubes, which can cause serious problems when they let go.

I'm not 100% on that one. Ask Brock, he's the king of rectifier tubes.

I would say any type of tube left on is going to shorten it's life. Now with that being said some vintage tubes can go 7000-10,000 hours since new.

I don't leave any tubes on while unattended for safety reasons and I rarely leave my super rare tubes on (idling) unless I'm listening to them.

A rectifier is a high voltage item and in many designs it takes the most punishment because of what it does. But, for instance, take a vintage Mullard GZ34 rectifier, they are almost impossible to kill. But considering their high price I still wouldn't leave tube gear powered up when not in use for long periods of time.

What I do is I decide if I'm going to sit down and listen and power things up for about 30-45 minutes before actually listening. I also make sure it's going to be more than a 15 or 30 minute session. Meaning I don't just turn the tubes on listen for 1/2 hour. turn them off for 3 hours and then come back, turn them on for another 30 minute session and so on.

On the weekends if I know I'm going to be home and listening (or atleast around the house-not outside) I'll power them up for part of the day and listen off and on as I go about my business.

Make sense?

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I just listen as I normally would, and let crossovers and drivers burn/break-in in their own time. I know others who play FM when not actually listening, and let it run at a lower volume 24/7 until the desired length of time is met.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I crack a beer and listen to the sound transform. Sometimes I leave it on while I'm home, and doing things around the house.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,387
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Hey I wasn't going to post the Easy Bake!

lol

But what about nuking them in a microwave?

14mu9es.jpg

One of these original Amana Radaranges should do the job!

WOW I actually used to sell those when they first came out. Damn I'm old.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,047
    Options
    As Dave mentioned, I'm one who puts the FM station on (classical) & let's things settle in.