Trouble with Tweeter Array

I have a pair of original SDA SRS speakers, and I'm not getting anything from the tweeters on the right speaker. I've ruled out pretty much everything except the crossover, and being pretty new to this, I was hoping I might get help on a few questions.

I saw that in this manual, there is reference to an "external fuse" on page 4.

http://vr3mods.com/uploads/SDA_Handbook_2011_Rev3.pdf

Do I really have an external fuse, and if so, where is it located?

I've also seen quite a lot written about polyswitches, but I'm having trouble determining if the original SDA SRS have one. Same question here - if I have one, how do I locate it?

Finally, if those two things aren't the answer, how do I determine what components of the crossover need to be replaced? (Unfortunately, the crossover for the original SDA SRS wasn't labeled, so any help visually identifying the components would be very helpful.)

Any thoughts on this would be VERY much appreciated.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,436
    Answer ✓
    It looks like the board suffered from a fried polyswitch. Those lead wires have to be desoldered from the board to remove the crossover from the cabinet, so instead they cut them and used wire nuts to reconnect. All in all, a real hack job. So, yes the polyswitch is the blue disc. That clear jacketed wire is crap and has oxidzed, so it needs to be replaced.

You cannot use Gimpod boards with your model, so I hope your current board checks out ok.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• F1nut
    The SDA SRS speakers do not have a fuse, they have a polyswitch, which is located on the crossover board. There's a schematic posted here for your speakers, take a look and you'll find the all the values.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,256
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dan77
    Dan77 Posts: 10
    Hi guys, thanks very much for weighing in and for the links. Doing the best I can looking at the crossover and the schematics, I think I may have pinpointed the polyswitch. Is this blue circular component the right one?

vloqrq9tjhpu.jpg

If so, it would make sense to me that this is the problem, because this is what the other side looks like:

p58cwdt39kqw.jpg

Not sure if you can tell from the picture, but it looks like someone had tried to cover the connections with electrical tape, but you can kind of see the little wires sticking out. It's pretty clear a previous owner had problems with this, because the whole crossover has been ripped out. Here's a pic of the whole thing, where you can see the wires have all been reconnected.

5qj6i1kzzvc1.jpg

I'm guessing at this point the bottom line is I need to replace the blue circular piece, assuming that is the polyswitch?

Thanks again.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,086
    edited February 2016
    It looks to me like somebody replaced the original crossover that had no idea how to solder, look at all those wires just twisted together. What a mess. Do you know how to solder? You should get gimpod boards and rework both of your crossovers.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Dan77
    Yeah, that pretty much matches my assessment. (The "what a mess" part.) Redoing the whole thing sounds like a fun learning project since I'm pretty new to all this, but I think patching for the moment and coming back when I have a little more time might be the most realistic way forward.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    What a hack job on nice speakers. I know you don't want to hear this, but it may be well worth it to just send the crossovers out to have redone. Couple guys here do it and are reasonable.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Dan77
    Thanks for confirming. I've seen a number of places that people suggest simply removing the polyswitch and bridging it. I have a pretty reasonably powered amp (300W). Safe to go ahead and do that?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,950
    Most but a resistor in place of the Poly. Hard to tell though if that's all the damage that's done to that board....so "safe" is not exactly a term that would come to my mind. Judging by the pics, who knows what else the previous owner did but hey....it's your dime so if you want to risk it, have at it. If they were mine, both crossovers would be on their way to someone who knew what they were doing.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,343
    Looks to me that someone didn't have the inter-connect cable and maybe tried to wire the speakers to resemble a standard stereo speaker. Just a guess. But I had the same done to my speakers, the guy told me he "fixed" them to play correctly but my wire was hacked further up by drivers.
  • Dan77
    Yeah, I'm sure you're right that having a professional redo it is the best way forward, but that's going to require some consideration regarding how much time and money I have to invest at the moment. How much should I expect that to cost, and how do I find someone willing to do it? I'm in the DC Metro area and haven't had much luck calling local shops.

Also, if I were to replace the polyswitch with a resistor, what would be the right one?

Thanks again.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited April 2016
    Westmassguy is great at crossover replacement and upgrading. I would shoot him a PM or go to DHS speaker repair's site.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • F1nut
    Not sure Dan77 is still with us as he hasn't been here since Feb.29th.

President of Club Polk