Who here is a prepper or semi-prepared?

Options

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited January 2016
    Options
    exalted512 wrote: »
    is your pellet stove vented outside? How long does a 40 pound bag last?

My particular model doesn't require a fresh-air intake vent, but vents exhaust through my existing chimney via a stainless tube liner. Lots of variables on burn rate, but generally if you were running the stove all day (say 12hrs), you'd go through 1 bag or a little more. House size, outside temp, and insulation value will all play a part---and of course how hot you have the stove running. We generally run ours for inside temp of 70-71 degrees.

Keep in mind during the week, we only run the stove from about 4:30pm to around
    9:00pm; M-F because we both work. I burn about 1/3 of a 40lb bag each work evening.

I don't think any of the Harman stoves require a fresh air vent.

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    What are you suppose to do the other 12 hours of the day....freeze ? lol

So to keep your house at 70 degrees for 24 hours cost how much in pellets....about 10 bucks ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

So to keep your house at 70 degrees for 24 hours cost how much in pellets....about 10 bucks ?

Well, mathematically yes---but does your gas furmance run 24/7? Of course not. Your homes insulation will have the stove shutting itself off when you reach the desired temp.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    Options
    $10/day seems to be on the expensive side.
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • tonyb
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »

Well, mathematically yes---but does your gas furmance run 24/7? Of course not. Your homes insulation will have the stove shutting itself off when you reach the desired temp.

So in a typical day, what your saying is the stove runs about 12 hours total ? Makes sense then.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • exalted512
    Options

So in a typical day, what your saying is the stove runs about 12 hours total ? Makes sense then.

ah, maybe i misread what he said.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    I have a pallet of KFC wet naps. I am gonna be rich!
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Correct---lets call it a weekend day. On a Saturday, I might go through 1 bag, if it's very cold outside; generally the average would be less, because we don't get that cold for long here.

Last year we went thru 1 ton of pellets (50bags) at a cost of $250/ton/pallet. Now, Illinois--you'd probably double that consumption, so let's call it $500/winter to heat your house.

Again there's tons of variables; stove size/rating, house square footage, insulation quality of your home, outdoor temps, how hot you run the stove, etc, etc. My stove is rated for up to 3600 sqft, and our house is 2400 sqft.
  • tonyb
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I have a pallet of KFC wet naps. I am gonna be rich!

Doubt it, if you frequent KFC that much, most likely you'll be dead soon.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Never touch the stuff but word on the street is them naps will be the currecy in the post apacalypse
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It will be hard to back-into the numbers for our situation, because Southern Arizona winters are wierd. One day it can be 17 degrees, and next week it can be 70 degrees. Worst case scenario, lets say you used 1 bag a day, you're home all day, every day of the month--that would still only be $150/month--and you'd have to have a pretty poorly insulated house to need to burn that much fuel.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    Do you have thousands of pounds of pellets stored for the end of days?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Do you have thousands of pounds of pellets stored for the end of days?

Umm no, for heat. Propane here is expensive. Now if we were back in town on natural gas, our gas bill averged about $185/month in the winter months, running the thermostat at 72 degrees. My wife gets cold easy, I'm generally comfortable at 68 degrees.

Storing pellets is a must, as I haven't seen a pellet tree yet out here.
  • motorhead43026
    Options
    In Texas I think they burn cow chips.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options

Hey now....offended ;)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • exalted512
    Options
    Correct---lets call it a weekend day. On a Saturday, I might go through 1 bag, if it's very cold outside; generally the average would be less, because we don't get that cold for long here.

Last year we went thru 1 ton of pellets (50bags) at a cost of $250/ton/pallet. Now, Illinois--you'd probably double that consumption, so let's call it $500/winter to heat your house.

Again there's tons of variables; stove size/rating, house square footage, insulation quality of your home, outdoor temps, how hot you run the stove, etc, etc. My stove is rated for up to 3600 sqft, and our house is 2400 sqft.
    Good info. If your house 2-story or 1? If 2, how well does it heat the upstairs? How well does it heat the rooms that are furthest away from the stove?

I'll be building a house in the next couple of years and want to see how viable an option this is for us.

That'd be great! I'm surrounded by those.
    -Cody
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Is being preheated some kind of courtesy?
  • steveinaz
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Cody--
    We have a single level house, extra tall ceilings. Much will depend on how your house circulates air. What you can do to "assist" is to run your central air furnace set at like 68 degrees, and run the pellet stove simultaneously. This will allow your conventional heat to warm far away rooms until the stove has come up to temp; then your furnace thermostat will shut off. This also allows your central air system returns in the house to help re-circulate warm air near the stove, and re-distribute it.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    The prepping should be taken serious, when the dollar crashes and supermarkets run dry I will be sitting pretty. The only problem for me and my doomsday crew is defending the crops and cattle, everything else is well taken care of. We should have a doomsday polkfest at my familys place?
  • steveinaz
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,050
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Folks do use wood pellets up here, but mostly as auxiliary heat -- here it is COLD in January and February; over night lows frequently below zero; daytime highs frequently in the teens or less.

There was a bit of pretty severe unpleasantness here a couple of years ago around wood chip supply. As I understand it, Home Despot basically cornered the market by selling pellets much cheaper than any local suppliers could (ca. 3 years ago). The next year, they negotiated contracts with ALL of the regional pellet suppliers and bought 'em out -- essentially eliminating the ability for small local retailers to source pellets to sell. That year, Home Despot, having cornered the market the previous year, jacked the price way up.

One of the local chains (a hardware store/lumber yard called LaValley) put a full-page ad in the local paper about it; basically apologizing for 1) being unable to supply their customers and 2) for the exorbitant prices that their customers were being forced to pay due to Home Despot's shenanigans.

I notice this year every one seems to have pellets for sale, so apparently the above-mentioned nastiness was only transient.

EDIT: OK, not just Home Despot, here's the story (from 2014):
    http://www.timesargus.com/article/20141103/BUSINESS03/709239917

I guess the point is that, in the Northeast, a "natural" product (firewood) has an intrinsic supply advantage over a manufactured product (wood pellets), at least from a typically Yankee perspective ;- )

Our son-in-law and daughter's new place has 80 acres of property, mostly wooded. Their goal is ultimately to be largely self-sufficient for firewood. THAT's real New England "self-reliance"! :- )
  • steveinaz
    Options
    Agree, whole heartedly--we're just the opposite, wood in S Az is expensive; like $285 for 1/2 chord. If I were in your area I'd wood stove as well.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Agree, whole heartedly--we're just the opposite, wood in S Az is expensive; like $285 for 1/2 chord. If I were in your area I'd wood stove as well.

Wow, that is expensive. That's double the cost by me, and even here they call them "their little Gold bricks".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    Options
    How long does that pre cooked bacon last? That alone will give me the will to go on.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I'm prepper, he's a prepper, she's a prepper. Wouldn't you like to be a prepper too?
    Be a prepper, think like a prepper....
    SORRY! Couldn't help myself.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    I have the best first aid kit at home.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Not a serious prepper, but this is what I did last: I have oil heat so basically have an on-site reserve. When I put an 500 ft^2 addition on I added a second furnace and propane for the addition. Contractor thought I should have gone heat-pump. However, I think a heat pump would use more electricity, and propane would allow me to convert my electric hot water to propane based on demand. I could also install a couple propane fireplaces in the home to heat other portions of it should the oil supply be temporarily unavailable.

The two furnaces still use electricity but I have a generator to handle the little bit required to run the furnaces. At least the fuel sources are from two on-site tanks with different fuels.

If it gets real bad then the problem is other people. When you start losing services then people can become nasty. You could prep all you want, but if the have-nots know you have-some then even with home defenses things are going to get nasty. With the winter storms over the past few years that knocked out electric for a few days ( 1 week in remote areas) there were cases of people's generators being stolen. I can't imagine if electricity gets knocked out for 2-3 weeks or more.
  • afterburnt
    Options
    brains will be stolen
  • tonyb
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    brains will be stolen

That already have for some time now. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I have been working on my preparation plans A thru G, now I am on Preparation H.

My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |