Auto on PSW 300 sub

Ray
Ray Posts: 9
edited March 2004 in Troubleshooting
Having trouble with my PSW 300 sub. It stays on all the time! At first I thought it was getting some sort of signal from my receiver (sony strd-1000es) even if the receiver was off. But If I unplug it at the sub input it will shut down in about 5 min. If I leave it plugged in at the sub input and unplug it from the receiver it just stays on. How do I have this repaired. Is there a part I can replace myself.
Ray E.
Post edited by Ray on

Comments

• Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited March 2004
    what part is staying on? you getting noise? is it just the light that is staying on? IF i remeber on my old psw350 the auto light would stay on and the amp would still be warm to touch and asked Ken S (Polk Customer Service) and he said this was fine since there still is power going to the unit..as long as it wasnt Hot to touch then its fine.
    Life without music would
  • Ray
    edited March 2004
    The green light is staying on. It used to change to red after about 5 minutes of shutting down the receiver. But when I unplug the audio cable from the sub the lite will change to red after about 5 min. so I thought it must still be receiving some sort of signal from the receiver so I unplugged the audio cable from the receiver and left it plugged intt the sub, it still stays on (light stays green) and never turns red.
  • Pauly
    edited March 2004
    what kind of sub wire you using? any other wire lying around it? possibly some sort of interferance??? EMA?
    Life without music would
  • Ray
    edited March 2004
    I'm using a RCA mono out of the receiver going to L & R rca splitter then to a 9' length of dual rca cables to sub. It goes by all the power cables, then lies next to rear speaker wires on carpet. Total length of cabling to sub is about 15'. But I think I see what your getting at. I'll try plugging into the sub with a very short length, not running near anything and see if the green light turns to red indicating no signal.
  • Pauly
    edited March 2004
    if that dont work then email Ken S @ cust service and see what he says
    Life without music would
  • bullwinkle1968
    bullwinkle1968 Posts: 142
    edited March 2004
    i have a polk psw 350 and it did the same thing nt only that but also when the system was off and no signal present i was getting talking threw my sub like it was from tv stations or cb er or radio stations. also i found that my volume button was broken so i called and talk with helen yarbor in parts and they said to take the amp out of the box and send it in to the california work shop or take it back to the dealer you purchased i from and they will eiher fix it or replace it and in my case the sent me a brand new amp for my psw 350 and ever since i hae not had this problem and it has been about a month now.

so it is my opinion that you should contact support or your dealer and have it repaired which in most instaces it will be replaced with a brand new amp.
  • bullwinkle1968
    bullwinkle1968 Posts: 142
    edited March 2004
    also i just thought of this that might help try useing a monster sub cable i got one at circuit city 15 feet long for only 14.95 that might have also made a difference.
  • Ray
    edited March 2004
    spasticpitbull had it right. Moved some of my wires around and seperated my sub wire from them and sure enough the problem went away.
    Thanks, I appreciate the help.