Apple & Hi-Rez

Options
xsmi
xsmi Posts: 1,786
2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I think its a huge step in the right direction. I have always wanted Apple to step up and offer better quality music.
    The Whole Mastered for iTunes thing I thought was a step in the right direction but not exactly the step I wanted to.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • xsmi
    Options
    The only thing that makes me a little nervous is it has to be through the lightning port. Because this is a propriety port, this may stymie adoption.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Options
    Even on old iPhones and iPods, the 30 pin port provided better sound than the 3.5mm port. I have always used audio out from the 30 pin port to send audio signals to aux in to my car head unit. May be its just in my head, but I did notice a big difference in sound quality. Tried different cables and different cars/headunits.
    Plus less is more these days, with iPhone going lightning audio port, I am sure others will follow. Just like how mini display port is a norm now for the laptops.

The only thing I am not a big fan of is, one will need a splitter kind of adapter if you want to charge and use the audio port at the same time. Like how USB C is on the new MacBooks. Just one port to charge and connect any other device is a huge hassle, specially in the laptops.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Using the 30 pin port bypasses the Amp where a lot of the distortion is coming from and I use a JDS LABS C5 amplifier piggybacked to my ipod classic (Thanks to Dan & Steve) and the sound with all the music being lossless ALAC files is very good!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • xsmi
    Options
    Thats good to know.
  • RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    More iPhone adapters.... great. 3.5mm to lighting $29.99.

Apple moving over to loss-less will be good.

However I have a hate for iTunes. I don't like how they can lock you out of YOUR content that you paid for if there is an issue billing your account.

will there be an upgrade price for music already purchased or do we have to buy our entire libraries over.
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Don't worry. I am sure Apple will manage to screw up lossless music. Most likely by tying it to their devices instead of letting other vendors add it as a service, like Tidal. The other question is will they finally sell lossless downloads to compete with HD Tracks, etc. Eventuality they will get it right, but probably not before they have become a minor player in music distribution.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Don't worry. I am sure Apple will manage to screw up lossless music. Most likely by tying it to their devices instead of letting other vendors add it as a service, like Tidal. The other question is will they finally sell lossless downloads to compete with HD Tracks, etc. Eventuality they will get it right, but probably not before they have become a minor player in music distribution.
    I'm hoping this isn't gonna be true.
    I'm looking forward to Apple High Rez music. I'm all Apple over here so bring it on. I would love for iTunes to be able to play all high rez formats and then I won't have to use 3rd party software. Then ALL my music can be in one place and played anyway I want.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • xsmi
    Options
    I'm with you Mantis