Cryotherapy

Has anybody tried this yet? I did today, and loved it. You get into a chamber with an open top, and liquid nitrogen is used to bring the temperature down to minus 300 Fahrenheit for three minutes. It is freaking cold, but doable for three minutes. After you get out any sore joints, muscle aches, etc. are gone, and you feel great. The body goes into hypothermia shock, and burns 500-800 calories in those three minutes. After I got back to work I was starving. I already have paid for two more sessions over the next two weeks. I still feel great, and hungry, eight hours later. Did I mention it is freaking cold? :)

http://www.peninsulawellnesscentre.com/cryotherapy/

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,787
    edited December 2015
    Pffft come over to Des Moines. Just got in from work. Arctic winds and 20 some degrees. Feels like -300.
    But your method seems less torturous. Interesting. How about the nards? Still there?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes, men have to wear underwear, women go nude. Everyone has to wear gloves, socks, and slippers. I just ordered some wool hiking socks and slippers from Amazon.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • lightman1
    Tiny ball of Hell has a titanium hip replacement. Didn't see anything in your link about artificial parts and adverse effects. Some of the benefits seem right up her alley though. I'll send it to her and see if she might want to try it.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    I'd be careful Fox, didn't someone just die doing that ? Some may have an underlying condition they are unaware of so I might do a doctor visit to make sure those cold conditions won't have an adverse effect on something else.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Tiny ball of Hell
    Dear god man......you are my idol :D:D

So i am confused. -300F is uh, well, yeah, way below freezing. How does the water in your body/skin not turn to rock in the first 10 seconds?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • tonyb
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Tiny ball of Hell
    Dear god man......you are my idol :D:D

So i am confused. -300F is uh, well, yeah, way below freezing. How does the water in your body/skin not turn to rock in the first 10 seconds?

We all know what happens to a man's anatomy when we get out of a cold shower, can't imagine what happens at -300. I wouldn't be jumpin' around that's for sure.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,592
    mmm -- sounds like Darwin's strikin again.

Now -- exactly why do folks think this is a good idea?
  • I do Primal Therapy.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Freeze dry yourself?....dude you are on some heavy ****!!...
  • I prefer bloodletting and leaches.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • mrbiron
    tonyb wrote: »
    We all know what happens to a man's anatomy when we get out of a cold shower, can't imagine what happens at -300. I wouldn't be jumpin' around that's for sure.

We'd all look like we had tails. Better make jeans with a zipper on the @ss.
  • lightman1
    I prefer bloodletting and leaches.

How about the drilling of holes in the cranium to let the evil spirits and disembodied voices escape?
  • tonyb
    edited December 2015

How about the drilling of holes in the cranium to let the evil spirits and disembodied voices escape?

Who wants them to escape ? I kinda like 'em.
    Post edited by tonyb on
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,627
    Can you take your speaker cables in with you?
  • lightman1
    tonyb wrote: »

Who wants them to escape ? I kinda like 'em.

Right there with ya, Tony. Mine keep me company all day and don't mooch lunch off me.
  • BlueFox
    I am still wound up from this yesterday. I went during lunch, went to bed last night at 12:30 AM, woke up at 2:30 AM, decided to get up at 5:45 AM versus usual 7:30 AM, and am not tired. I better be tired tonight. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 3,027
    ...and here I thought this was a tube discussion!

Did you know somebody personally that did this so you thought you would give it a try?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • tonyb
    muncybob wrote: »
    ...and here I thought this was a tube discussion!

Did you know somebody personally that did this so you thought you would give it a try?

Yeah...Frosty the snowman. He needs it with that California weather.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • As other have pointed out, I would never do this. Why in three words;
    cryogenically treated cable
  • BlueFox
    Did you know somebody personally that did this so you
    thought you would give it a try?

There was an article in the Sunday paper about it, and I thought I would try it. The adrenaline boost is amazing. Nothing like tricking the body into thinking it is freeziing to death. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,579

See Lightman, but we all know they just get put in a bottle and then you buy them to put them in YOUR head.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited December 2015
    Have to agree with mhardy. This sounds pretty loony to me! And risky. I'd say just retire up north and spend half the year clearing snow off your property and using an ICE AX, but we haven't had any yet!

All I can say is COLD and arthritis do NOT go together. My right elbow is torn up and when I get out in sub-freezing temps, it "reminds" me!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,895
    edited December 2015
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Did you know somebody personally that did this so you
    thought you would give it a try?

There was an article in the Sunday paper about it, and I thought I would try it. The adrenaline boost is amazing. Nothing like tricking the body into thinking it is freeziing to death. :)

What's next, setting yourself on fire.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.
  • BlueFox
    No, that makes no sense. I will continue this on a weekly basis. Read the link for the benefits, and how it is used by athletes for sport injury recovery.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Not too different than those Polar Bear clubs that dive into icy water for the thrill of it.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • mrbiron
    In further news, California releases the most current list of crap that causes cancer;
    #1 Squirrels (Grey, not Black)
    #2 Water Chestnuts (Only in a can)
    #3 Kardasians (Every last one)
    #4 Cryotherapy (Only in temps <-300F)
    #5 Pizza Crust (Digorno)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,232
    I'm sure you know to hydrate and replace electrolytes.

I have done steam shower/sauna then into an ice tub treatments very refreshing. Would get a massage before treatment.
    Had a couple drinks one evening after a treatment felt like a drank several.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • EndersShadow
    Its a cool thing, like everything do your research beforehand....

I'm gonna look into it just to see the costs....

I've gone trout fishing in western nc in december before in waders and the cold temp of the water and pressure from the current on my legs felt GREAT after I got out.

I'd imagine similar with this.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 10,007
    I have a sauna and we like to go out and roll in the snow after being in the sauna awhile, then we go back in. A neighbor came over one time and said, "Why do you have a sauna, why don't you just go out and pick rocks if you want to sweat?" After explaining that it would be pretty hard to pick rocks in the winter, he just looked at me, turned around, and left.
  • EndersShadow
    dromunds wrote: »
    I have a sauna and we like to go out and roll in the snow after being in the sauna awhile, then we go back in. A neighbor came over one time and said, "Why do you have a sauna, why don't you just go out and pick rocks if you want to sweat?" After explaining that it would be pretty hard to pick rocks in the winter, he just looked at me, turned around, and left.

Good ol cheeseheads :wink: