Any experience with 3020b NAD

Any experience with this little int amp ? A quick research said back in the day they were very well known. I havent even heard it-or the PSB 50r speakers. Im going to clean up the inside of the amp & probably do the pots & clean up the speakers tomorrow before taking a listen

Comments

• 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    I have the 1020 preamp, which is the pre section of that amp. Actually, same board and chassis, just not populated by the amp's innards. I love this pre.... open, detailed, slightly warmer than neutral. Mine has been rebuilt by a guy at AK who does many 1020/3020 rebuilds, and is dead quiet.
    The 3020's rep was that it performs way beyond it's modest specs, being very dynamic and powerful sounding.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,566
    I read alittle up on them & seems they were NAD's little int amp that was back when the began ??? I figured some here would of had them back in the hay day. Little in size & power might be bliss on some efficient bookshelf speakers
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    was it a local pickup?
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,161
    It's a great amp. I'ave ran them many times.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • boston1450
    Yes somewhat. About 20miles. Next road over from where i got the Lsi7's recently. I owned a NAD when i joined here & i see some here id love to get my ears on. So when i saw this locally w/speakers tuner & cd player for 50 bucks i figured it was worth that just to listen to it & if i didnt like it-sell it off. I was hoping the PSB speakers were the smaller ones. (Picture looked small). The 50r's are a fair size & wont work in space. I have heard the smaller ones & enjoyed listening to them on vinyl. Gonna hook it up real soon & will report back
  • boston1450
    Well. Got it all cleaned up. Reconditioned cover. Hooked it to a pair of Monitor 7's & very nice. The bass & treble knobs work perfect. Nice bass on the 7's. Very nice control. Balance is spot on. At 9:30 on V dial is perfect on Pink Floyd Meddle. The only thing i did notice is there is a slight humm on phono when i hit the phono switch. Not a biggie as i wont use it on turntable anyways. The PSB foams are shot. I went to play around with them & they just fell apart. The cabinets are mint. So i sent Looney Tunes a message & we will see if i can save them from the dump. Well very impressed with the little NAD int amp6xm08v2l7g62.jpeg
  • boston1450
    Just bought some small KEF c15's to listen on this little guy. They are small bookies & should sound decent on this int amp. Should have by Friday. Will report back later. Have a great week
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited October 2015
    Nice pick up, Randy! The original 3020 is what started it all, your unit is probably a slight update, but not much changed.

I remember a friend having one of these in Grad School hooked up to some fairly large, maybe Canadian, speaker-Cambers? We couldn't believe this little amp could make those speakers "sing"! This guy also had a collection of vinyl that was warehouse size! A very nice system back then.

I've always like the NAD sound. Have a NAD power amp and a C325EE in the fold. Nice warm musical sound, not the greatest detail resolution but as far from fatiguing as you can get!

Enjoy!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • boston1450
    Cnh. I hooked them to the 7's with sl2000 & listened to it for 2+ hours & loved it. I got rid of some of the other gear to Joe. Youll see them on C-list soon. He will probably dump some Daytons in the PSB's & sell em off. I got enough projects going on. Last night i bought some small KEF's so im hoping they match well & their small-so if not in use i can closet them
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    NAD and LSi bookies are a good match. I used to run my 7s on a C325bee integrated, gave them all the juice they needed. Sounds like you're having fun.

Yeah! Joe's shed is packed full of all kinds of things. Some easier to move than others.
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • I have found NAD to be clear sounding and a step up from the older
    vintage gear I was playing with. You boston?
    Any you NAD fans hear the NAD C 275BEE? (sorry, still looking for
    a amp)
  • boston1450
    Well i hooked up the ( very small ) KEF c15's. Yes small. Smaller than Monitor 4's. I about sh-t when i got the box LOL. Hooked them to the NAD int amp-Sony cd player-AQ shorties cables & was rather surprised. They do quite well. Punchy bass. Tweets seem crisp. Male vocals (Eagles) very nice. They seem to do well with the little amp & the good here is i can hide it when not in use & pull it out on a rainy day :)
  • boston1450
    Even ACDC sounds good on these little guys. They ROCK for their size
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    a amp)

Powering 2b-TL's with a Dared pre and C275bee for the last couple of years. Love it!
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • Thanks Stew! Now back to the 3020b. I used to love this NAD
    sound....
    Stew wrote: »
    a amp)

Powering 2b-TL's with a Dared pre and C275bee for the last couple of years. Love it!

• boston1450
    ^^^^^ ive only used it on the 2 pair listed above. Ive read where people have upgraded parts in the amp with great results. Im sure if matched with a different speaker it is a killer of a amp
  • doctor r
    doctor r Posts: 837
    A little late post, but I originally bought a NAD 3020 and a pair of Monitor 7Bs in 1979 new from Eardrum Audio in Cambridge MA. I used that system for 20 plus years. The phono section is nice if you wanted to use it (after addressing the hum). It was rated at 20 watts per channel but designed for, if I remember correctly, peaks up to 50+ without issues. The 20 watt rating was chosen not based on possible output but by what power output level had the lowest THD. It included their "soft clipping" circuit to avoid the harshness associated with "some of us" overusing the volume control. Soft clipping was chosen to be in the circuit or bypassed by how you placed the jumper from the preamp section to the power amp section on the back. I also successfully used the preamp section to a larger power amp with excellent results. Great little amp. At this point capacitor replacement might be needed for it to really perform at it's best.
    integrated w/DAC module Gryphon Diablo 300
    server Wolf Alpha 3SX
    phono pre Dynamic Sounds Associates Phono II
    turntable/tonearms Origin Live Sovereign Mk3 dual arm, Origin Live Enterprise Mk4, Origin Live Illustrious Mk3c
    cartridges Miyajima Madake, Ortofon Windfeld Ti, Ortofon
    speakers Rockport Mira II
    cables Synergistic Research Cables, Gryphon VPI XLR, Sablon 2020 USB
    rack Adona Eris 6dw
    ultrasonic cleaner Degritter
  • boston1450
    Interesting info. Thanks. Yes. It needs tune up. Slight popping when powering on/off. I hooked a Pioneer pl530 on it & it sounded pretty good. So far ive tried KEF & M&K & Polk7's on it. Sweet litttle int amp & it takes mins to take it apart & throw it in closet shelf :)