Adcom GFP 750 - Any opinions?

This came up on local CL here, and I am considering... Does anyone here have experience with one of these units? Impressions?

http://missoula.craigslist.org/ele/5206661881.html
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Never heard one myself, but these were all the rage a couple years ago here on this forum.

Seems like the price may be a hair high? Maybe $750 would be better. Although it looks pretty minty.

There are some guys here who have/had one, hopefully they chime in.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Worth every dime but unless that one has been recapped, price too high IMHO. 600.00 would be more in line.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,307
    Thanks, guys! I think I'll offer $700. Recapping is not a problem - Unless it uses caps that are no longer available (Usually, that's only supply caps in amps though). I found a few on Ebay north of $1k....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Things seem to go for crazy prices on eBay. I've seen my Yamaha CA-1010 sell for $500 and up!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited September 2015
    That one was on E- bay about a month ago. I also want one and have been looking as I have a couple of Adcom amps and preamps but would love that one, if you could get it for less that would be great, then send it off to Big Sky Audio and have it serviced. I do believe there was one on sale on the forum but the guy didn't have enough posts to sell here.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,710
    It's a fairly decent, smooth sounding SS pre amp.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Since the CLister is in MT and so is Big Sky, my guess is that it has been gone-thru, or should have been due to age (and that asking price)
    If not, ask him to have it evaluated by them
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • daddyjt
    Thanks for the input, guys. I'm passing on this for now, as I just dropped $500 on my first (of many) set of MIT cables...:-)

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• F1nut
    Since you already own the PRE AMP, you should have bought the cables. There will be other opportunities at those cables in the future. Good luck.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Serious question, what would be the sound difference between using MIT cables and a graphic or parameteric equalizer with good quality, well designed generic cables?

A lot less noise.
    For me, I would rather have my "tone controls" in my electronic gear and not in the cables.

It's got nothing to do with tone controls. It has to do with signal integrity.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    For my money, that is the direction I would choose. For me, I would rather have my "tone controls" in my electronic gear and not in the cables.

Your opinion, but I wouldn't. Tone controls add noise, which is why most don't have them anymore and went to software based tone controls.....if that's what you mean.

Whatever way you feel you want to alter the sound to your liking, by tone control, different tubes, pre amps, dacs, amps, equalizers....you still have to get it to the speakers and in-between gear used. It boils down to matching up sound characteristics that you like, to your ears, from source through all your gear and speakers until it reaches your ears. Everything in the mix alters the sound to some degree and that includes cables.

If you don't subscribe to that, great....you just saved yourself some dough. If you do, then the rabbit hole awaits.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt wrote: »
    Thanks for the input, guys. I'm passing on this for now, as I just dropped $500 on my first (of many) set of MIT cables...:-)
    If I didn't already own the amp, I would have taken it and passed on the cables. But that was your choice. There will be other opportunities at that amp in the future. Good luck.

Didn't mean to start a battle here...

I don't know about the rest of you, but every couple of months, I get the "bug" to do something for my system(s). About the time the "bug" hits, I've got a chunk of $$ to drop on something.

I already have a few solid, dead quiet preamps in the stable, so the Adcom would have been a duplication, and possibly an upgrade, but I doubt a significant one.

Based on the overwhelming comments from you (almost)all, I feel that I need to venture out and at least TRY some true high end cables. I am convinced that I have nothing to lose here, as based on what I've seen, I'll have little trouble selling these, should I feel the need.

I am a true cable skeptic, but hey - I was skeptical about vinyl and FLAC too... I will share my cable journey here, and post my honest interpretations of what I think.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• I was a cable skeptic as well. I can attest they do make a difference. Is it night and day, no. Yet it is enough of a difference I feel it was money well spent.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • daddyjt
    I actually have a MiniDSP 2x8 (With U-mic) that I bought for a future active bi-amp project. I think it has extensive equalization options, with the correct software...?

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,837
    I have had a lot of Adcom gear come and go, and the only piece I regret selling is the GFP-750..

If another one in excellent shape comes along with the right price I will own it again...
  • Toolfan66 wrote: »
    I have had a lot of Adcom gear come and go, and the only piece I regret selling is the GFP-750..

If another one in excellent shape comes along with the right price I will own it again...

+1
  • F1nut
    Have you considered, digital signal processing for equalization and room correction?
    I think that is the more optimal modern solution and that was a key point for me.

Optimal modern solution? Definitely not. I was able to achieve even better sound by installing MIT speaker cables after using DSP and room correction.

President of Club Polk

• I'd be interested in knowing if you have played Quiet Riot thru those systems.
    :*
    For me, these specs concerning noise of the MA6900 integrated with equalization controls for example are below what is practicably audible. Is it not?

A-Wtd. Signal-to-Noise Ratio
    Phono: 90dB below 10mV input (84dB IHF)
    High level: 100dB below rated output (90dB IHF)
    Power Amp: 110dB below rated output.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited September 2015
    I'll be on the looksee for a Adcom GFP 750 after this thread.
    I have a Carver C4000 in the closet. Should I not bother? :*
    Thanks!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I like to keep my 2 channel with the least amount of fudging with the signal as possible. To my ears anyway, DSP.... it can add some pleasant things, but also subtract from the overall sound. Always seemed more helpful in HT than 2 channel to me. If it floats your boat though, use it. We all enjoy our music in our own ways.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Excellent point on the 2 channel. My experience above was with HT.

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    No equalizer type made now, in the past or in the future can attenuate the incremental nuances tube swapping or cable swapping can provide. Eq's are far to broad in the spectrum of tones they attenuate. Not to mention the addition of noise to the signal.

Never found a tone control or eq that was worth a damn for 2 channel use. YUCK

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9 wrote: »
    No equalizer type made now, in the past or in the future can attenuate the incremental nuances tube swapping or cable swapping can provide. Eq's are far to broad in the spectrum of tones they attenuate. Not to mention the addition of noise to the signal.

Never found a tone control or eq that was worth a damn for 2 channel use. YUCK

H9

Hey now - EQ has its place. All those fantastic albums you love are most likely using EQ on absolutely everything. Every instrument, every vocal, every master - EQ is applied. EQ in the digital domain can work wonders in the context of 2 channel. No extra noise is added to the signal that way. It's true that tubes & cables can attenuate nuances but it's also true that they absolutely cannot do what an EQ does. Elevating tubes & cables above EQ is interesting. EQ can absolutely attenuate nuance and be used to tailor sound, fix issues, and it's free if you're using a computer based system.

I know some of you DSP guys can chime in here.
  • acmf74
    acmf74 Posts: 936
    Going back to the original question..

I personally have one (blue board) and it has been rock solid.

It sounds great AND the HT bypass feature works phenomenal.
  • heiney9
    edited September 2015
    I also loved my GFP-750. But tubes rule so I did end up selling it, only because it didn't have tubes. Great SS pre, very well built, excellent sound and you can't beat the used price.

As far as the EQ discussion, what most consumers use is nothing like what a recording engineer with mutli-tracks in the studio uses, so don't even attempt to go there.

I have yet to hear a plug-n-play EQ for a 2 channel system that does any good. Room treatments, proper set-up, gear matching, cables, and if you have tubes, can all be used to a better advantage than a plug-n-play EQ. DSP for multi channel is NOT what I'm talking about.

Everyone wants to take the subject outside the scope of the initial discussion, and sometimes it's annoying. Of course EQ is used to make the recording, but that's not at all what we are talking about. Nor is the average consumer able to do. I think we are talking (I am atleast) about post-recording plug-n-play type EQ.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    My dad, growing up, had this DBX 10/20 or 20/20 (can't remember) EQ that he bought in Germany along with the rest of his gear. It had a microphone that you plugged into the EQ, sort of like todays AVR's, that would "test" the room and adjust everything automatically including the timing of sound IIRC. I don't remember if it was any good, I was little, but it sure looked impressive with its dancing lights.

hqdefault.jpg
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Nightfall wrote: »
    My dad, growing up, had this DBX 10/20 or 20/20 (can't remember) EQ that he bought in Germany along with the rest of his gear. It had a microphone that you plugged into the EQ, sort of like todays AVR's, that would "test" the room and adjust everything automatically including the timing of sound IIRC. I don't remember if it was any good, I was little, but it sure looked impressive with its dancing lights.

hqdefault.jpg
    I always lusted after one of those to try. Even used they command high prices, and most of the time never include the microphone. Guess I must of outgrown that as now that I have the money I do not even consider it nessesary.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited September 2015
    I THINK the thread is about the Adcom GFP 750 and someone mentioned that they would prefer a more pure direct connection from A to B. So the price seems o.k. but what are you trying to achieve? I bought my first pre to try the "holographic" sound and the second to try tubes in a easy way (warm up the sound)
  • audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    edited September 2015
    heiney9 wrote: »
    I also loved my GFP-750. But tubes rule so I did end up selling it, only because it didn't have tubes. Great SS pre, very well built, excellent sound and you can't beat the used price.

As far as the EQ discussion, what most consumers use is nothing like what a recording engineer with mutli-tracks in the studio uses, so don't even attempt to go there.

I have yet to hear a plug-n-play EQ for a 2 channel system that does any good. Room treatments, proper set-up, gear matching, cables, and if you have tubes, can all be used to a better advantage than a plug-n-play EQ. DSP for multi channel is NOT what I'm talking about.

Everyone wants to take the subject outside the scope of the initial discussion, and sometimes it's annoying. Of course EQ is used to make the recording, but that's not at all what we are talking about. Nor is the average consumer able to do. I think we are talking (I am atleast) about post-recording plug-n-play type EQ.

H9

Maybe you're just a hair irritable, Brock. Do you interrupt a conversation at the dinner table when it organically shifts direction? This is all good talk if the OP is cool with it.

Since you're responding and adding to the discussion - I'll respond too. And I'll "go there" because we're a community who values each others opinions and experiences :P

Haha bogus. Do consumers not have a "bass" and "treble" knobs in their vehicles? Is EQ not built into home receivers, 2-channel integrateds, computers, even Spotify in some way!? An EQ in the studio is used in the same way that an EQ at home is used. To add and subtract from the frequency spectrum. It's purposes are the same in both environments. None of use are recording with our 2 channel rigs but we are all listening to loudspeakers.

My point is the argument cannot be "cables over EQ" or "EQ over tubes." They all have their place. Fine if you have a preference - but saying "YUCK" as if they're the plague is ridiculous!

• heiney9
    Right Shane, a rudimentary "bass" and "treble" knob is the same as a multi-thousand dollar recording console. "Tone" controls on consumer gear are nothing like on a professional board. No matter how many times you say it, it's not the same.

And yes, IMO, YUCK on rudimentary tone controls and add on EQ's