SDA 2

Just got them picked up and playing. It seems the right speaker outside mid driver is weak. Going to swap it out and see what is up. I think these are the "Real Wood" 2's not sure yet. From the pictures you can see the grill cover has come loose on the side. The tops are not as bad as I imagined. Didn't pick up any smoke residue with a quick cloth wipe. Push test on the drivers seemed a bit fast as compared to my other Polk's, I have to make a quick cable. However, on the bottom wood it appears someone put on some "sliders" to be able to move them around. All and all, I think the Wife did good for what she paid for them.

And as always, any advice is most welcome.

v7o0mlixso02.jpg
6mdcpc849yrt.jpg
swbs5q14023r.jpg
l6373uopktke.jpg
bd1uhwh3cxx6.jpg

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    That mid driver MW6511 in question appears dead, I popped in one of my extra MW6510 and all seems well. Question, will it hurt anything to leave the 6510 in for a while until I can get a 6511?
  • oldrocker
    This is the culprit.
    gmzepp8mv7yt.jpg
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Nice! Look like the real woods to me! Wish mine were - I have studios. Someone else will have to answer on the mid-woofer.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• oldrocker
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    Nice! Look like the real woods to me! Wish mine were - I have studios. Someone else will have to answer on the mid-woofer.

Thanks, probably going to give them to my daughter once I get them back up to "snuff".

Any thoughts on a value on these, I've seen various under $300.00.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,330
    I believe I already told you those are SDA 2B's.

They came with plastic glides nailed to the bottom, if that's what you are referring to.

The 6510 and 6511 are really not interchangeable.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• oldrocker
    Thank you for the info and clarification.
  • F1nut
    A bit more info for you.

6510 is a 6.5 ohm driver.
    6511 is a 3.1 ohm driver.

You could use the 6510 until you get a 6511, but the speaker won't perform properly.

Adding spikes will result in a marked improvement. Much more so than many think is possible.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• oldrocker
    F1nut wrote: »
    A bit more info for you.

6510 is a 6.5 ohm driver.
    6511 is a 3.1 ohm driver.

You could use the 6510 until you get a 6511, but the speaker won't perform properly.

Adding spikes will result in a marked improvement. Much more so than many think is possible.

Thanks, will check and see if Polk has these a replacement.

Would you recommend spikes the same height as the "plastic guides" that are on it?
  • F1nut
    I can't remember if Polk stocks the 6511, but I think they do. It will look a bit different, no exposed leads on the cone and no cut outs around the screw holes. You will need to make those cut outs otherwise the screws will twist the rubber surround.

For spikes, you want tall ones to raise the tweeter up closer to ear height, which should be 39" to 40". Parts Express sells 1.5" tall spikes for not much money. If you want TOTL spikes, the 2" tall Adona Multi-Element spikes are the answer.

One thing about those PE spikes, they are two piece design with the little cone **** into the main body. I recommend using Loctite on the little cone threads, so it becomes one with the main body and cannot work loose over time.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Are you kidding me, S-C-R-E-W-I-N-G is censored!?!

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    I can't remember if Polk stocks the 6511, but I think they do. It will look a bit different, no exposed leads on the cone and no cut outs around the screw holes. You will need to make those cut outs otherwise the screws will twist the rubber surround.

For spikes, you want tall ones to raise the tweeter up closer to ear height, which should be 39" to 40". Parts Express sells 1.5" tall spikes for not much money. If you want TOTL spikes, the 2" tall Adona Multi-Element spikes are the answer.

One thing about those PE spikes, they are two piece design with the little cone **** into the main body. I recommend using Loctite on the little cone threads, so it becomes one with the main body and cannot work loose over time.

Last I read Doro's post indicated they still make and sell them... however its quite old so it might not be accurate

These are the only drivers, aside from the RD tweeters, being manufactured to support vintage products, such as, Monitor, RTA and SDA. You should print this as a reference and keep it handy for the values it contains. There are no grill parts, cables, crossovers, plates or anything else available for the older loudspeakers, unless you know the Polk G O D.

1 Driver Type Q BL Compliance DC Resistance Fs

3 MW 6501 1.47 5.96 N 3.25 E - 3N/M 7.75 Ohms 31 Hertz
    4 MW 6502 1.97 5.16 N 1.47 E - 3N/M 3.52 Ohms 44 Hertz
    5 MW 6503 1.82 5.24 N 3.55 E - 3N/M 6.54 Ohms 29 Hertz
    6 MW 6509 2.1 4.57 N 3.54 E - 3N/M 8.97 Ohms 30 Hertz
    7 MW 6510 1.39 6.32 N 3.41 E - 3N/M 6.57 Ohms 31 Hertz
    8 MW 6511 1.405 4.34 N 3.496 E - 3N/M 3.13 Ohms 29 Hertz
    9 MW 6512 1.905 4.99 N 1.588 E - 3N/M 3.466 Ohms 40 Hertz
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • oldrocker
    Finally made a connect cable. The whole array effect is nice to have going.
    I have noticed the highs a tad bright in this series of speakers.
  • It is amazing to me that most all of the mid woofers look exactly the same but clearly have different resistance values. Friends say when I show off my 2Bs that the outer one 6511 does something special and do not let the look fool you. I would not leave an unmatched woofer in there for any prolonged amount of time. Find that 6511. My side fabric was peeling from the top and back but not as bad as yours. I think they should have made it a veneer of at least white oak to match the tops. Still a nice looking set Old Rocker ,now on to the rdo-194 tweeters and so on....
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • oldrocker
    LW, You are correct on that one.

Just spoke to CS, a nice guy and the new driver is on the way. CS stated they have about 148 MW6511's in stock. He also said to use 4 small black washers so the gasket?? doesn't tear. I figured I'd ask here for clarification when it comes in.
  • oldrocker
    I can almost get the fabric tucked back in but I'll just call PE and get some new. Go figure I'm a few inches short on the roll I got left over from the last project....
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 25,265
    if you do not cut the gasket back a bit no washer will keep it from twisting...ask me how I know?.....you want to make sure all rubber will NOT be under a screw OR washer...
  • oldrocker
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    if you do not cut the gasket back a bit no washer will keep it from twisting...ask me how I know?.....you want to make sure all rubber will NOT be under a screw OR washer...

Thanks PD2, good to know.
  • F1nut
    I think they should have made it a veneer of at least white oak to match the tops.

I've seen many attempts at replacing the cloth sides with wood. Everyone of them looked like poo because the cabinet design does not lend itself to having wood sides.

Personally, I like the cloth.

President of Club Polk

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,266
    I like the looks of wood tops and bottoms. with black cloth on the sides that stops at a 2-3" wood strip at the rear edge to match the wood tops. I think that might have been standard on some of the bigger SDAs. If I ever have to redo the cabinets on my 2Bs (w/wood tops) that is how I'm going to do them.
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • oldrocker
    New 6511 is inhj8vwe8f1n06.jpg

Rubber trimmed back, installed and sounding great.

Was a bit "tedious" but it's done.
  • oldrocker
    Did not think I'd hear this type of improvement
    but I can hear a difference on that side.
    Is there a break in time on the 6511's?
  • oldrocker wrote: »
    Did not think I'd hear this type of improvement
    but I can hear a difference on that side.
    Is there a break in time on the 6511's?
    There will be mechanical break-in. How long it will take, depends on how often they're used. They may never match exactly. 25+ years is long time. Different materials and manufacturer.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • oldrocker
    Second guessing myself here. There is 2 wires, one is blue one is green, which one is the positive..
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited September 2015
    Blue
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/