Problems after power outage

Options
This is for the 3000 IHT.

I have a strange but annoying problem I am hoping to get some help with. I checked the FAQ and and forum searches to no avail.

I have frequent power outages living here in the boonies. After a power outage and the electricity comes back on the speaker system automatically comes on and is at ~half volume. That may not sound like much but is louder than I usually listen to. In the middle of the night when the power comes back on the speakers are just screaming.

I should note that the input for the speaker is using the optical cable from my Tivo unit (Tivo Premier model) which is always on. So once the Tivo unit reboots it is sending the audio signal to the speaker automatically and constantly.

Any ideas other than turning the switch off on the back of the speaker when not in use?

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello,
    Welcome to Polk's forum. It would be best to contact Polk's CS department at 1-800-377-7655 or via email to polkcs@polkaudio.com
    In general terms, however, it is always advised to unplug any electronic device when there's a power outage to prevent surge damage when power is restored. Then when power is back turn on the Polk first, check the playing volume and then turn on the Tivo.
    Regards, Ken
  • coaltrain
    Options
    Thanks for your input Ken.
    You are likely correct in doing what you say but that would basically mean unplugging everything in my home after every use every day - power outages are frequent and unpredictable.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Have you considered investing in a back up whole house power generator? They are pricey, but given your power situation would be the perfect answer.

Other than that, perhaps a UPS for your audio system would help depending on how long the power stays off.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• coaltrain
    Options
    I have been lax in getting a battery backup for my TV/Tivo/Speaker - I really should have one. 1/2 the time the power will do a quick shut down - power back up - shut down - power back up for 3-4 seconds. They have automatic type breakers in the system so when a tree limb falls on the line the power will try to reset itself 3 times before finally staying off. Those 3 quick surges are worse than anything.

I appreciate the replies. This really isn't an issue to get CS involved - just kind of a puzzle that I've been trying to solve. No other equipment is "on" when the power is restored when it was off when the power went out. I also have a Polk Soundbar (without sub) on another TV that does not do this. So I am kind of convinced that the signal from the Tivo through the optical cable is telling the speaker to turn on.

Not a big deal - just more curious about this than anything else.

Thanks!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Get yourself a power conditioner to protect yourself against surges and brown outs.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    Options
    You could use these remote control wall switches.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Programmable-Electrical-Household-Appliances/dp/B00DQELHBS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1439539232&sr=8-2&keywords=remote+wall+switch

I've used them for Christmas tree lights and such, but it would also allow you to quickly turn on and off power from the wall switches on any of your speakers and devices.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited August 2015
    Options
    The wall switches require he be home to use them, how about when your not home ? Plus your never going to be fast enough, unless your the Flash, to hit that switch before the power surge happens.

Get a power conditioner....
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    The wall switches require he be home to use them, how about when your not home ? Plus your never going to be fast enough, unless your the Flash, to hit that switch before the power surge happens.

Get a power conditioner....

Tony, I wasn't suggesting the wall switches instead of power conditioning, but in addition to it.

• thomastf242
    Options
    Who cares about any of this. The issue is not the fact he loses power. It’s the fact the soundbar volume goes to half after a power outage or reset. It’s happening to me too and this is the last Polk soundbar I’ll be getting is pure junk.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Give Polk customer service a call at 1-800-377-7655 and follow the prompts for soundbar service.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Necro thread
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    That's a troll.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk