get your dodd audio fix on

Options
marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,871
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    man that's purty. Looks like it has a phono stage?
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• audiocr381ve
    audiocr381ve Posts: 2,588
    Options
    I wonder how this does against my Rogue Perseus Magnum?
  • audiocr381ve
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'd take Dodd all day over Rogue. Even though I haven't heard Rogue, I believe Gary Dodd is a much better designer.

The seller is 20 minutes away from me... Hmmm....
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    Zero wrote: »
    Only 20 minutes? Yeah. You need to get your listen on.

Agreed...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audiocr381ve
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm picking it up tomorrow fellas. The Rogue Perseus Magnum is an phenomenal preamp. I've never had a complaint about it and it's been with me for a good while now. I expect the Dodd to sound different but there will be no a$s kicking IMO. The Perseus Magnum is that good, but I guess we'll see.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    The Dodd RLP rarely comes up for sale.
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    I think you'll find the Dodd to be very amenable to tube rolling, and to be fairly neutral, it doesn't "add" to the sound IMO - mine is extremely clean and has a shockingly quiet floor. And mine is "only" the MLP! Hope you like yours as well!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    I expect the Dodd to sound different but there will be no a$s kicking IMO.

I agree fully cause I've owned Dodd gear.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • audiocr381ve
    Options
    Tons more listening to do but she's here. Initial impressions are that the Perseus has been dethroned.

u2520ein983f.jpg
    9h17y7b0t0xq.jpg
    k7501erqymu4.jpg
  • MrBuhl
    Options
    That was fast! Congrats. I thought about it hard myself!

Polk SDA1c modded
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Pho-700 Phono Pre

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,139
    Options
    I was going to jump on it . congrats
  • audiocr381ve
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    My local lumber guy is the one who supplies Gary all that beautiful wood on those pieces. He is supposed to be getting in some extra wide black oak soon and I'll be building a rack from it.

That's awesome man. Please be sure to post some pics.

This pre is damn phenomenal. Blew me away actually. I thought it would come down to being a flavor thing when comparing it to my Rogue preamp but the Dodd is in a completely different league. Wagner if one ever pops up again, jump on it fast.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,981
    Options
    Yeah, and you can dramatically increase the sound quality even further with tube rolling. The unfortunate part is you have four tubes which will make it pricey, but get opinions from some of the guys on the forum, including Heiney 9, on the holy grail 6ns7's when you're really ready to jump into the black hole ... You can really dial in your system with the appropriate tubes in Gary Dodd's gear. That was one heck of a find, a real rarity. I've put my Dodd gear with top shelf tubes up against some expensive stuff and had the same conclusions you've come to.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,311
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Tons more listening to do but she's here. Initial impressions are that the Perseus has been dethroned.

u2520ein983f.jpg
    9h17y7b0t0xq.jpg
    k7501erqymu4.jpg

Hello and good afternoon to you sir. I know that these have been since sold but could you point me to the person you sold them too? I'd like to speak with him/her if possible.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~