New toy in the house

Jhayman
Jhayman Posts: 1,548
Well I'm a Turntable guy first and foremost.
I decided to buy a DAC-1 by Wyred4Sound..
It's my first DAC so I asked Dskip for some advice about this DAC and others he has tried, long story short Dskip does not like this DAC not musical enough for him..
He recommended I not get this, I suggested I should get my ears in a few DAC's so I can actually make comparisons, he agreed..
So I have hooked it up via, Toslink and USB, I can't use the coax as my preamp does not have a coax input..
First impressions with this DAC are first going from regular CD to Toslink yielded a kind of loudness as though a loudness button had been pressed.
But after listening for a last few hours it is louder but the music also gets served a healthy does of Fleshyness, everything is bigger and bolder, clearer, kids are far nicer..
So I have used the USB yet as I'm ripping CD's into JRiver, but from what I heard on a little test I liked a lot..
Also picked up a new TT level and weight for my TT..
bwm8q3ljz1oe.jpg
w1x7jma78vb5.jpg
xoykv3424q5z.jpg
wots6zcszkar.jpg

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    New toys are always a blast, congrats man. I might echo Skips thoughts on it but it doesn't matter what we like, as long as YOU like it, rock the house brotha. Love the TT btw.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Jhayman have fun with your new toy. I think you are going to love it.

Most recommend that you do not use Toslink with an external DAC. USB is the preferred connection.

Below are the reasons:

"The problems are, 1) the speed limit there is 96K/24bit. 2) Toslink shares the very similar internal protocol of AES/EBU or SPDIF. The DAC needs to "re-discover" the clocks by PLL circuits and that creates more jitter than necessary. Asychronous USB transmission doesn't have this fall back becasue the master clock sits on DAC side. 3) Toslink use optical elements that is normally much slower than direct connected electronic components. So it further increases the jitter than SPDIF or AES/EBU."

You can Google "will Toslink support DSD" to get more info.

See attached article about DSD.

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    Congrats on the new DAC and TT, now the fun begins. Yeah Skip doesn't care to much for wyred stuff but like Tony said, it matters what you like, we all have different tastes. I would like to hear what you think of the DAC-1 once you get some hours on it.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Congrats! Digital is m-u-u- c-h more enjoyable with a high quality converter. Don't know that I could ever go back to a turntable with all spinning vinyl involves.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Jhayman
    Well I lost out on the Essence DAC Dskip was selling, so I figured I would go with this even though it does have some negative press, but also has good press.
    Besides I've owned a DAC before so I needed a reference point to start, lol
    Using JRiver I've ripped about 200 CD's since yesterday, ( yes I leed a boring existence) kidding just excited to finally have one in my presence..
    I actually think it sounds pretty good, but a few more days of locking myself in the house should do it..
    Thanks for the TT compliment, she sure is spiffy, even with the hardware upgrade..lol

tonyb wrote: »
    New toys are always a blast, congrats man. I might echo Skips thoughts on it but it doesn't matter what we like, as long as YOU like it, rock the house brotha. Love the TT btw.

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Jhayman
    edited July 2015
    Hi Machone..

I'm only using the Toslink to tun out of my DVD player, I'm using USB for all my CD and computer Rips.
    Thanks for the read..

machone wrote: »
    Jhayman have fun with your new toy. I think you are going to love it.

Most recommend that you do not use Toslink with an external DAC. USB is the preferred connection.

Below are the reasons:

"The problems are, 1) the speed limit there is 96K/24bit. 2) Toslink shares the very similar internal protocol of AES/EBU or SPDIF. The DAC needs to "re-discover" the clocks by PLL circuits and that creates more jitter than necessary. Asychronous USB transmission doesn't have this fall back becasue the master clock sits on DAC side. 3) Toslink use optical elements that is normally much slower than direct connected electronic components. So it further increases the jitter than SPDIF or AES/EBU."

You can Google "will Toslink support DSD" to get more info.

See attached article about DSD.

• Jhayman
    Thanks gce.
    I'm putting her through the paces now, will post the results of my findings in a few weeks..
    In the meantime still learning how everything works together..

gce wrote: »
    Congrats on the new DAC and TT, now the fun begins. Yeah Skip doesn't care to much for wyred stuff but like Tony said, it matters what you like, we all have different tastes. I would like to hear what you think of the DAC-1 once you get some hours on it.

• Jhayman
    Thanks drumminman..

Well I have not touched my TT today, lol
    Only because I'm using the DAC right now, but I miss my TT, I think tonight I will play a little with it, lol
    I don't know if I could ever give up vinyl again, I've to much invested now, not like before it was all my parents gear..
    It does sound pretty good to me though..

All HAIL the DAC, oop's I mean VINYL

drumminman wrote: »
    Congrats! Digital is m-u-u- c-h more enjoyable with a high quality converter. Don't know that I could ever go back to a turntable with all spinning vinyl involves.

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    Congrats on your first DAC! I have a great DAC but vinyl still gets the nod for favorite SQ.

Nice TT!
    Jhayman wrote: »
    wots6zcszkar.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    For the loudness mismatch, you can turn the internal volume down of the w4s on each input.
    I am still using a w4s dac2. It is a solid sounding unit on its own. A lot of times I add in a tube buffer on the back end. On a lot of music it sounds good but some sounds better without it.
    How many hours do you have on it? When it his around the 200 hour mark, it gets smoother.
    Congrats.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 1,394
    jhayman

Trying different things with an open mind is the fun part. The emphasis is on the fun and the experimentation. I also spent some time with the Wyred DAC as a part of my journey. It is a nice feeling to notice the differences.

I will withhold my experiences with the Wyred and will enjoy your noted journey. Just don't fall the way I did. I became too involved analytically, beyond numbers, and for the longest time, forgot how to just unwind and enjoy. It became a sickness,

Rock on man.

Halen
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    halenhoang wrote: »
    I became too involved analytically, beyond numbers, and for the longest time, forgot how to just unwind and enjoy. It became a sickness,

Rock on man.

Halen

Amen Halen. There's a certain musicality I search for that goes beyond numbers and measurements. If a piece makes me forget about....the piece, and lets me just enjoy the music, that's a winner in my book.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable