Let's see those mugs....

2»

Comments

• Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    edited March 2004
    Ok here goes nothin...this was taken at the last LoneStar Bottlehead meet . I'm the guy on the left wearing cowboy boots. Yes, we really do wear those in Texas.

54.jpg
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2004
    Thanks goodness your not wearing moccasins :)
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2004
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks PolkThug. Talk about a hair raising experience!:D
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by cfrizz
    what is a Telsa Coil???

Well, as you can see in the picture, a Tesla Coil is basically a lightning generator.

It was kind of the basis for things like neon tubes and flourescent lights. They work on pretty much the same principle of "broadcasting" electricity through an atmosphere of some type. The problem with "broadcasting" electricity through the earth's atmosphere is that it is not a pure atmosphere. It is made up of all different elements which affect the way the electricity will flow and gives a very sporadic path which can be outright dangerous as seen in the pictures above. The various neon and flourescent tubes use specific gases inside the tubes to help control the flow of electricity.

The ideas that Tesla had are fundamentally the same behind the operation of a neon or flourescent tube. They are tubes of glass filled with a gas and in the case of a flourescent tube, coated with a phosphorescent material. The electrical current is "broadcast" through the tube which then excites the gas or phosphorescent material causing it to release energy in the form of visible light. Without those tubes being sealed and containing a pretty pure level of gas like neon, you wouldn't get such a tight flow of electricty to give such even lighting. With the gas in the tube/bulb being controlled, engineers can control the flow of electrons through either the gas or across a filament. Filaments work differently though.

A more modern version of such an idea is the HID headlights you see on cars that are way too expensive. The HID stands for High Intensity Discharge and it is basically lightning in a bottle. It needs alot of power to make the arc it does but, there is no filament to burn out in one of those bulbs. They will errode contacts over time and the ballast resistor needed to make them work will eventually die but thier lifespan is considerably longer than the average halogen light bulb. They are also about 10 times brighter than the average halogen bulb so there is a significant enough benefit to them.

A very basic rendition of a Tesla Coil can be found in your local Spencer's Gifts. The globes with the dancing electricity that is "drawn" to your touch is a low power Tesla coil. The inside of the globe is coated with a coating that gives you the purple or blue or green coloring of the arc and provides a weak ground for the electricity to be drawn too. That is why it seems to cycle the "tentacles" of electricty around the globe. When you touch it, your body provides an overwhelming ground and all the tentacles are "drawn" to you because you are a much stronger ground. But fundamentally, that is a tesla coil in operation. The gas and lining inside the globe are there to make it easier for a lower current/voltage arc to jump to the coated surface of the globe easily. Otherwise, you could get hurt touching one of those.

Another neato electrical thing to find and play with is a Jacob's Ladder but seriously be careful with one of those. They require a good amount of power, they can hurt or even kill you and I have seen them set fires to drapes and bedsheets and stuff. So be careful if you manage to get your hands on one and play around with it. It can be really cool but turn super ugly really quick!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2004
    Good job J and I would like to also comment that Tesla actually believed hge could control the Ionosphere... The induced fields generated by the coil in theory could cause ac like variations in the ionosphere.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited March 2004
    Thanks to all for the wedding wishes. We're off to Vegas Sunday for our honeymoon, I think we're both alot more excited about the trip than anything else. We Looooove Vegas!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited March 2004
    Originally posted by cfrizz
    A picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks PolkThug. Talk about a hair raising experience!:D
    More like hair removing...

Isn't that "Jacob's Ladder" on the right? :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited March 2004
    Heres me......last year. I have changed ALOT since then......so bleh!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited March 2004
    So, Doro...who is the **** guy wearing the moccasins?? :D
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • Pauly
    Pauly Posts: 4,519
    edited March 2004
    me on the right with my crazy **** dog when he was a pup...my bud on the left with his dog.
    Life without music would
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited March 2004
    Niner - :D I dunno, but if he's a Texas Bottlehead, I am sure he's cool.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited March 2004
    1/2Twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    edited March 2004
    Exactly as a I pictured Henry.....

lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • spyderman
    spyderman Posts: 678
    edited March 2004
    :p
    RTi70 Fronts
    CSi40 Center
    RTi38 Rear
    PSW650 Sub
    Str-de1075 Receiver

Hope is on the way!

ABB

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited April 2004
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    ...my fine-**** woman...
    (she'll be my wife this Friday!)

Hehehe, I know what Steve is doing right about now. :D
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited April 2004
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited April 2004
    Sid's flashin' gang signs!
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited April 2004
    It's a few years old.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • paymontana
    paymontana Posts: 234
    edited April 2004
    Nothing too exciting just me and my owner. I know I have not been posting here lately. I been busy re-vamping my reef aquarium. Some day I'll post it and my new HT here. By the way I have a new member to my audio family on the way. A B&K 1430 II. I am going to use it to bi-amp my mains and center and use it later for my side surounds, when I can aford them.[IMG]:\DCIM\100NIKON\DSCN0654.JPG[/IMG] 100NIKON\DSCN0652.JPG

I know I don't look my age but that sid isn't lying he really is a kid.

CJ
    "It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."
  • paymontana
    paymontana Posts: 234
    edited April 2004
    [IMG]G:\DCIM\100NIKON\DSCN0654.JPG[/IMG] Sorry can't get it to work
    "It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ****."