What causes popping noise in PSWi225 subwoofer?

Options
I have a PSWi225 that pops. It has done it right out of the box when it was new but was just a once in a while thing and it didn't bother me. It has since gotten gradually to the point where it pops on a frequent, regular basis now and is very distracting. Is there a known fix for this? Is it the speaker and will replacing the speaker fix the issue? If not the speaker, any idea what could be causing the popping noises?

Best Answer

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The amp is attached to the control panel.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Answers

• F1nut
    Options
    Does it pop without any signal or only when a signal is sent?

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Mfolks
    Mfolks Posts: 5
    Options
    It pops anytime that the system is on so I guess the answer to your question is: only when a signal is sent. Does not have to be at high volume. I can turn the volume almost all the way down and it still pops. Love your definition of political correctness.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Ok, it seems you are saying that as long as the sub is powered on the popping occurs regardless if there is sound being fed to it. If that is the case you have a bad amp. If it is still under warranty give Polk a call and they will make it right.

Thanks, sorry for the t-u-r-d spelling, but the PC Vanilla format censors certain words. How's that for irony?

President of Club Polk

• Mfolks
    Options
    Thank you. It is not under warranty. I bought it in 2008. It has done it since taking it out of the box, but back then it was just once in a great while and it didn't bother me. It went a long time (several years) without being a problem but has come back with a vengeance. Is the amp a part of the speaker, control panel or transmitter?
  • Mfolks
    Options
    Thank you very much, I appreciate your input.
  • F1nut
    Options
    You are welcome.

Should have added.....probably best at this point to shop around for a new sub rather than try to get yours repaired.

President of Club Polk

• Mfolks
    Options
    I was already leaning that way. You just confirmed it for me. Thanks again.
  • tech1cw
    tech1cw Posts: 4
    Options
    I have the same issue with my PSWi225. I went through Polk's support service. "Buy another sub that's wired, you have network interference" I was told by "Mike". Gee thanks Polk. Way to support your products.
    Great business practice.
    Needless to say, I guess I will have to buy a another sub, and I bet I can buy another wireless sub which will work without all the popping. Guess which brand it WON'T be...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Options
    The problem could be caused by either interference from your router or a defective subwoofer transmitter. Try disabling your router and see if the popping sound continues. Let me know what you find.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2016
    Options
    tech1cw wrote: »
    I have the same issue with my PSWi225. I went through Polk's support service. "Buy another sub that's wired, you have network interference" I was told by "Mike". Gee thanks Polk. Way to support your products.
    Great business practice.
    Needless to say, I guess I will have to buy a another sub, and I bet I can buy another wireless sub which will work without all the popping. Guess which brand it WON'T be...

When it comes to wireless, you have many more culprits at play. Your router being one, the size of your data package you bought, the amount of other wireless products you have in the house. Everything has it's limits, and wireless is no different.

If you have many other wireless devices, make sure the sub is using a channel that is as far away from the other channels being used as possible. Make sure your router isn't 3 floors up, or down, from the subwoofer. Distance diminishes, the amount of walls it has to go thru diminishes, same with other devices being used.

Try disconnecting other wireless devices from your wi-fi and see if the sub will work. Make it the only thing on your wifi , if it works you have an interference problem.

Keep in mind too, cable companies love to throttle down a bit if your using too much data and especially more than you paid for which can create buffering issues.

Usually these things come down to router....placement, or channels used.
    The amount of devices being used on your wifi
    Your data package as compared to whats being used.

If you had the sub for awhile and this issue just started, try resetting the router by unplugging it for a couple minutes and plugging it back in.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mitchstrasser
    Options
    Mfolks wrote: »
    I was already leaning that way. You just confirmed it for me. Thanks again.

Try moving your wireless box further from the sub it fixed the issue for me. Had exact same issue you had but saw a quote about someone talking about interference and thought I would give that a try.
  • Eep
    Eep Posts: 9
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I have the Omni SB1 Plus sound bar and subwoofer connected wired and it still pops/thumps when turned on (after sound bar on but sub pops even after sound bar turned off so sound bar not really off right away, I guess).

Tried another sub (Sony SA-W2500) and it pops too so it's the sound bar outputting the pops and not the sub. The Sony sub also powers off even though it's getting a signal. Sheesh...can't win!
    Post edited by Eep on
  • danielk413
    danielk413 Posts: 1
    edited March 2022
    Options
    I found a simple way if you have interference with your PSWi225 sub to make it wired versus wireless. Pull the plate amp off the enclosure. Lay it on a table with knobs down on a towel or pillow, electronics facing up with transformer towards you. Now you'll see the receiver in the upper left corner. You can disconnect the amp from this and connect rca jacks directly to the amp and mount them in the plate very easily. I removed the receiver by gently chiseling the black glue off the metal surround around the receiver or you can leave yours there. You will see 2 white wires from the transformer and one 3 wire black cable from the receiver to the amp. You can cut the black cable and strip it back and you'll see a white, red and the ground/shield. White is positive on your new rca ends you'll solder on and the ground/shield is your negative. You can get panel mount female rca ends cheap on Amazon or ebay. Then just reassemble and your done. Plug in the rca from your receiver and you'll be set. I tried everything to save the wireless but the popping was all the time. If any device transmitted on my wifi it was all over with pops and static no matter how close or far transmitter and sub were. Hope this helps someone. Amp still works GREAT!