Options
2»

Comments

• RamZet
    RamZet Posts: 792
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    RamZet wrote: »
    Took that 200.2 back home to play around with it, matched it with a B&K Reference5 S2 Pre-Amp.

So far I dont like the amp on my speakers (B&W CM9). I have heard them on my friends setup (B&W CM8) and they sound alright.

What I dont like are the highs, the lows are awesome and hit when you want them to hit and roll when they should roll if that makes sense. On my speakers the highs sound harsh and distorted. I thought maybe it was the Pre-Amp so I did a A/B test with my Rotel RC-1550, same problem.

Stinks b/c I know its an alright amp, just not with my CM9s. Im going to play around with that Reference 5 some more. I have a Reference 30 hanging around too but its more of a surround sound pre so I may not jump on it right away. I'm sure it sound like my old B&K AVR-305 ( something I retired for a Marantz).

nv4r9xtjcy3y.jpg
    which rack is that you're using?
    do you have other speakers you could try? that Ref 5 S2 and the 200.2 should be a fantastic combo with some smooth speakers. I've used it to "man, I can't believe how good this sounds" success with Monitor 10's and to a slightly lesser degree, some fresh 703's.
    RamZet wrote: »
    That B&K Reference 5 S2 is no joke, it just replaced my Rotel RC-1550 (for now).
    I really like that it has Full range out, high pass out and sub (mono) out.
    The HP is connected to the amp channels handling the HP and the full range is connected to the amp channels handling the LP in the speakers. No Sub, CM9s don't need it.
    The built in EQ isn't to bad, just basic bass and treble settings. The loudness button is silly in my opinion and adds to much bass.
    Unit runs real cold and sounds awesome, not going to paint a picture with words.
    I want to revisit the reference 30 this week (have one laying around). Im hoping to get an improved sound with my Sonos and CD source with that on board DAC(S). The ADC and DAC being the AsahiKasei AK5383 and AK4393.
    I'm going to have to recommend this thing to people looking for used gear, they can be had for a great price over on Ebay.
    indeed. I've had positive experiences with the AVR 507 S2, Ref 5 S2, and briefly so far with the Ref 50 S2 on an older EX-442 amp - all enjoyable. agreed, the Loudness function adds WAY too much. would have been nice to have maybe 3 different levels of it, or a way to control its impact through the programming software. I find I can run most anything through them with flat tone controls. a year or so ago you wouldn't have heard me saying such things. with the AVR 507 S2, however, I find I do still prefer to bump the bass 1.5 to 2.

can't remember at the moment the major differences between the S1 and S2 versions of the gear aside from faceplate design and some menu operation items (my previous research was limited to the AVR 507 at the time), but I think they're supposed to be close enough sound wise that either would make a nice addition for anyone in the market. The Ref 5 is definitely one of my favorite pieces, though. so beautifully simple.
    My rack was a piece I found at a Swedish own company called IKEA.
    Was under 300 bucks and its rock solid.

I will have to try the amp on my monitor 70s, they're the only other speakers I have setup that arent B&W.
    My buddy has this same amp on his CM8 and they sound alright (almost the same speakers as the 9s).
    B&W CM9Classé Sigma