interesting use of 901s---seriously

Options
I was cruising the Dozin Grateful Dead site and this guy posts something that he was a former engineer at Ampex. This tied into the o/p concerning their taping machine, a gutted Ampex altered to fit larger reels of tape. So he goes on and then says when he was a roadie for band they used Bose 901s for their p.a. What ? I never heard of this before and fairly quickly p/md Westmass Dave the preeminent expert on everything Bose here. Of course he's heard of this before and went on to tell me that bands in the late '70s would often rewire the 901s to accept 1/4'' phono jacks instead of the speaker terminals and run them into a mixing board or eg then the board. He claims they were way powerful and clean enough to serve as a club p.a. no problem. Just add a handle on top and carry them to the gig. Bose catches on to this and comes out w/ the 800 series of pro p.a. which were a main stay of clubs for years. not being a fan of 901s ,way to placement critical and preferred at the time ESS Heils, JBLs, or Ohm/Walsh. I found this to be a novel way to use a so called high end home speaker.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments