Bottlehead Crack

Options

Comments

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I just typed this post with my raised tonearm. ;)

Scomp, you don't skimp on anything you do, do you??
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Thanks! I strive to make diy look and sound as good as I possibly can.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Well, it worked.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2015
    Options
    It shows. That TT rules! I can only imagine how nice a Eros will looking next to it.

I get a Reduction if I didn't like my Vincent PHO8 so much. but I am too happy with it for now!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Second round of staining has been completed. Still do not like the way it is coming out. Maybe a third is needed... :(
    I will start my first coat of Poly this afternoon.
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    The wood is just alder - no grain, no joy. Blumenstein Audio will still make bamboo bases for Bottlehead kits. I believe they've taken them off the website as the sales were so low they didn't want to advertise but I think if you email them you can still get one. Not sure what the cost was...
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    I'm so tired of paint work! Got the wood work farmed out.....farmed, get that pun Aaron? ;)
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    Options
    ;)
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I installed the "SpeedBall" upgrade and my voltage were wrong on term 1 & 7 as they read 165V ...but 2, 4, 9, were fine. and no sound from 1 channel.
    posted on the BH forum and PB guessed correctly on that the R1 resistor had the wrong value if one of my LED's on the 9pin was overly bright.

so you know the 2 little blue resistor that go to the large PC board and the 2 little blue resistors that go to the small PC boards A & B that all look alike I had a 3.1 ohm in the A instead of the 237 ohm ...just too old and blind as I though i got them correct the first time, I knew all my soldering like fine and could not find a mistake visually until I used my big Magnifying lens.

Now everything is sounding just fine and I got the new set of tubes from Dan in to put it through its paces today!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,067
    Options
    That looks really good. Very impressive!
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • ALL212
    edited June 2015
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    I installed the "SpeedBall" upgrade and my voltage were wrong on term 1 & 7 as they read 165V ...but 2, 4, 9, were fine. and no sound from 1 channel.
    posted on the BH forum and PB guessed correctly on that the R1 resistor had the wrong value if one of my LED's on the 9pin was overly bright.

so you know the 2 little blue resistor that go to the large PC board and the 2 little blue resistors that go to the small PC boards A & B that all look alike I had a 3.1 ohm in the A instead of the 237 ohm ...just too old and blind as I though i got them correct the first time, I knew all my soldering like fine and could not find a mistake visually until I used my big Magnifying lens.

Now everything is sounding just fine and I got the new set of tubes from Dan in to put it through its paces today!

PICTURES!!!!!

I had to measure them with the VOM...couldn't figure out the stripes at all!! :(
    These are somewhere in the 1/2 a grain of rice size for scale - ok...1/4 size.

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    So today is the end of their sale. You can get the Crack ($279) and Speedball upgrade($125) for $299 so i said F-it and ordered one. Do i need it......nope.

I'm just bored.

Anyone try one of these things?

Time to Say thank you Mr.Biron for pushing me into trying this or I never would have gotten the courage to try it myself.
    And thanks to everyone for the help and advise and encouragement along the way. It was fun it was a pain and was nerve wrecking for a bit. but see be done now!

jarxa7le9bcs.jpg

Only thing left to do now is to get in some Burn-In Time and roll some tubes!

• voltz
    Options
    a finished pic!
    6dvgw9vw5aez.jpg

• ALL212
    Options
    did you make your own headphone cable? That appears to be a Furutech plug.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    Options
    It is, but I didn't make it and the other ends say Furutech on them too. I forgot where I got it & how much it cost me.

• voltz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    here is what they are: iHP-35S
    is terminated with a Furutech 6.3mm stereo connector to Furutech FT-2PS connectors
    Cable length 130cm (4.1ft) and 300cm (9.5ft)
    fqc3d6zb3383.png

http://www.adl-av.com/products/cables/headphone/

• ALL212
    Options
    Oh, ya...nice build also! Saw the headphone plug and went "Squirrel!!!" One track mind, two tracks and I'm overloaded!

Plate is amazing and the color you got out of the base is very nice.

Did you run the stock cable? IM(not so humble)O - stock cables from Senn, at least the 600's and 650's SUCK!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yes, I use the stock cable for a short time and thought they needed replaced badly, I even got some ZY cables
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2QJNJQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

used them for awhile and they are better then the stock cables, but I saw the IHP-35S cables and thought they were worth a shot and that is all I use now.

• voltz
    Options
    There are running some more specials for the Crack kit...

Order a Crack kit and you can add a Speedball upgrade for blacker background and better dynamics (regularly $115) for just $20. And we will include a special low noise, matched 5814 tube! $20 Speedball upgrade with Crack order offer ends July 5th. 5814 supply is limited and will be offered thru the 5th or until we run out!

http://bottlehead.com/?product=crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit

• ALL212
    Options
    JUST MAKE THE MADNESS STOP!!!!! :s

Sold the last one :'( , bought another :# .
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    Options
    did you get in on the 6080's sale? or did you just buy them now?

someday but not today I might consider a Stereomour II or a Seductor + Smash DHT or the monoblocks for full ranger speakers I made...

• ALL212
    Options
    Just now - got the 5814 with the sale.

I've built the Stereomour I - very nice sound and the II is supposed to be even better.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Hehehe.....let's see who else jumps on board.
    No update on my end besides I hate the box and am going to sand it down and start fresh'er...maybe this weekend with some berrrrrs
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    I've built the Stereomour I - very nice sound and the II is supposed to be even better.
    What speakers have you used with the Stereomour?

b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • ALL212
    Options
    Dahlquist DQ-10's. Complete rebuild. Super tweet and stock tweet removed, Seas tweeter put in their place. Complete rewire as the input is right at the crossovers now instead of at the base. You won't shake the paint off the walls but it does drive them and drives them very well!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Wow, would love to hear something like that. Think I may have to try the Stereomour and go from there. Thanks ALL212.
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • voltz
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Can you guess which one is Aaron's ?

c8707jdsqflz.jpg

• ALL212
    Options
    Mine go "Comando"! B)

klwmwkuvcgi7.jpg

Crossovers:
    Split the woofer/midrange to a different board because of the size of the new components.

w22iq3u7lpyl.jpg

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • SCompRacer
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Mine go "Comando"! B)

klwmwkuvcgi7.jpg

What have they done with Snow White?

qmq6b2z5ofqh.jpg

• SCompRacer
    Options
    Them nekkid speakers and gear Arron has connected sound darn good!