Bottlehead Crack

Options

Comments

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,556
    Options
    Snow White's been gettin' it for some time now...

m6wr2nu1i7sp.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    looks good Aaron, I think my DIY speakers are 94db and the Stereomour II would play nice with it I bet.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • ALL212
    Options
    Stereomour puts out less than 4 watts but on speakers with that efficiency they'll be great!

There is an option to use 45 tubes instead of 2a3's. Much less power but based on the threads the sound is even better. 45 tubes are cheaper also. At 94db it might be an option. It is possible to rewire back to 2a3's without much effort.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I NEED HELP!!!

I just tried downloading my Crack manual (for the 1st time) and the web link is broke!! I've checked with 3 different browsers and all say the same.

Can one of you do the unfathomable and send me the PDF?....PLEASE!!!!!

I'd try bottlehead support but it's the 4th of July.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Guess i had better turn the iron off :D
  • ALL212
    Options
    PM your address to me - I'll get it to you.
    Do you need the speedball also?
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Options
    No, i have the speedball.
    PM coming!
  • voltz
    Options
    You should have had that PDF memorized by now :p
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• mrbiron
    Options
    ^^^^Ouch :D

Well, aside from the PDF issue, the tapping screw wasn't a tapping screw at all! So, I had to pull out the drill to increase the size of the board holes. Not fun at all! At this point, I only have everything mounted and will try to solder tonight when my "roommates" go to bed.

My wife asked me, "why are you even doing this? You never listen to headphones."
    My response was simply "yet" (she walks away saying I waste money)
    Little does she know, I have a brandy new PS audio Sprout in the other room hidden from her prying eyes.
  • voltz
    Options
    mrbiron wrote: »
    ^^^^Ouch :D

Well, aside from the PDF issue, the tapping screw wasn't a tapping screw at all! So, I had to pull out the drill to increase the size of the board holes. Not fun at all! At this point, I only have everything mounted and will try to solder tonight when my "roommates" go to bed.

My wife asked me, "why are you even doing this? You never listen to headphones."
    My response was simply "yet" (she walks away saying I waste money)
    Little does she know, I have a brandy new PS audio Sprout in the other room hidden from her prying eyes.

I found increasing the hole size was the biggest pain of the kit also.

Now you need to make some speakers so you have a reason to make a Stereomour II integrated amp. >:)

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-16-folded-horn-kit-pair/

• mrbiron
    Options
    I would love to try a speaker build but I haven't the room for more.
    I also looked at the stereomour a while ago as my speakers are 97db.

Buuuut, not for now. Need to focus of other adventures like buying a new house and fixing my current to put on the market.
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    edited July 2015
    Options

And that is one difference between men and women....lol I bought a $100 router table for a one time use today. But I will use it with future Bottlehead projects, like a headphone amp maybe.... ;)

I printed my Eros manual in color, single sided. Darn thing was 5/8" thick! Love the 'whoa' pages....
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • ALL212
    Options
    I would love to try a speaker build but I haven't the room for more.
    I also looked at the stereomour a while ago as my speakers are 97db.

Buuuut, not for now. Need to focus of other adventures like buying a new house and fixing my current to put on the market.

Obviously we need to discuss priorities with you. >:)

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Options
    I should be able to finish this today.... Maybe

u9gabnelhwhz.jpg
  • ALL212
    Options
    There is no maybe...only may or be.
    Very nice! How'd you do the top plate? Very smoothhhhhhh.
    :p
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    Options
    Looking good and your getting there. Have you picked up some new Headphones yet?

Some Sennheiser HD600 or HD650's will go perfect with it ;)

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    Nice! Oh, this project is too far along to be pictured without tubes! :smile:
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • mrbiron
    Options
    ALL212 wrote: »
    There is no maybe...only may or be.
    Very nice! How'd you do the top plate? Very smoothhhhhhh.
    :p

Don't you remember....I got a guy who paints cars ;)
  • mrbiron
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Nice! Oh, this project is too far along to be pictured without tubes! :smile:

I've only soldered the power side....tubes are a ways out.

Volts, I can't buy headphones right now. Too much has gone out and not enough coming in. I'm playing with a PS Audio Sprout and am loving it. At the end of this, I either sell the sprout or the crack. Only time will tell.
  • voltz
    Options
    I understand, just remember to check those resistor's ...they look so much alike especially in the Speedball upgrade...

• mrbiron
    Options
    Well...I'm at a crossroads. I have a couple steps to go and I'm wondering if i should just do the speedball now versus shelfing it for later. I'd rather finish this thing unless someone tells me going from stock to Speedball as being a religious experience.

?????
  • ALL212
    Options
    The speedball install is fairly easy to stream in - pull 4 resistors, add wire. It does make t'shooting that much more difficult if you don't build stock first and prove the basic works.

It's not hard to do after the build is done. Locate the 4 resistors and just don't bend the leads around the terminal 10 times! They'll come out easier that way.

It's not quite religious but you'll know something changed when you get it in.

I'd still recommend later.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Options
    Your word is the gospel knowing you've built a couple of these things already.
    That's all the reinforcement that i need. I'll shelf it for a while and then revisit it.

Without having the instructions on hand, due to being at work, which resistors need to be pulled? It appears to be down in the 1-10 slots from the pictures?
  • ALL212
    Options
    The two little guys (22.1k) on 1,2 and 4,5 and then the big sandcasts (3k) on 3, 7, 9.
    Check the manual before you trust my eyes!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    Options
    I will...don't worry?
  • ALL212
    Options
    yq85aqml1tzk.jpg
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mrbiron
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Guess what I'm doing.......

6a6mx6iudzf9.jpg
    Oh crap the base is backwards!!... Guess I'll have to start over.
  • mrbiron
    Options
    So I'm using the preout on my Peachtree, do you guys turn the volume all the way up on the crack and use the pre for volume control?

I'm using my Fidelio x2s for now and I'm happy with what I hear.
    First three songs;
    Led Zeppelin - Bonzos Montreux
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - Stang's Swang
    Colin Hay - Overkill Acoustic

All sound good.
  • ALL212
    Options
    bottlehead folk turn up the crack all the way and use the pre as volume. You be doin' it correct.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • voltz
    Options
    I normally just plug my SACD or TT phono amp directly into the Crack...but I'd say use the Peachtree to control the volume as I take it your using its DAC for your digital music.

BTW how did you get your base backwards? Jeeeezzz. you could always sell it for half-price and start again ;)