2»

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    WLDock wrote: »
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The 2250 is no match for the HCA-1500.
    The 1500 seems like a Beast!

I over-stated that a bit; there isn't a huge difference but the higher current capability and higher quality components are well worth the used price. Even at New retail of $995, the HCA-1500A was a huge bargain. It also has daisy-chained pre-outs for use with subwoofer(s) or other amps. This is how I attach my SVS to my 2-channel.

Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    If you can give me a few days I can hook you up with a HCA 1500A that I bought here and never hooked up. I would have to dig up the sellers name and such. Its in super good condition. I will make you a deal since I have gotten so much good advice and help here on these forums.
  • txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Have you googled his name and address

Where does he live? Maybe a Polkie can help out

I don't actually have his name or address. We've only exchanged a couple of emails. Asking a local Polkie to help out is a possibility.

After thinking about it today though, I think I'm going to pass on it. I'd rather hold out for the P5. The 1200 is a nice preamp, but I think I'm just getting trigger happy and wanting to upgrade now.
    steveinaz wrote: »

I over-stated that a bit; there isn't a huge difference but the higher current capability and higher quality components are well worth the used price. Even at New retail of $995, the HCA-1500A was a huge bargain. It also has daisy-chained pre-outs for use with subwoofer(s) or other amps. This is how I attach my SVS to my 2-channel.

The HCA series is starting to seem more and more appealing. I've been reading up on them quite a bit, and I'm liking what I'm seeing. This might be the direction I go for an amp.
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    If you can give me a few days I can hook you up with a HCA 1500A that I bought here and never hooked up. I would have to dig up the sellers name and such. Its in super good condition. I will make you a deal since I have gotten so much good advice and help here on these forums.

That would be awesome. I haven't been planning on buying a new amp until the end of summer or so, but that's definitely not set in stone.

The nirvana inducer-
    APC H10 Power Conditioner
    Marantz UD5005 universal player
    Parasound Halo P5 preamp
    Parasound HCA-1200II power amp
    PolkAudio LSi9's/PolkAudio SDA 2A's/PolkAudio Monitor 7A's
    Audioquest Speaker Cables and IC's
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    audio advisor has a halo integrated demo version available to save some coin. I did notice the A23 is rated for 125wpc and the halo integrated is rated at at 160 into 8 ohms....but Im not sure if there are differing current ratings on each.
  • Erik Tracy
    Erik Tracy Posts: 4,673
    Some positive comments on the Halo int were posted over on the Steve Hoffman forum driving a variety of speakers at AXPONA.

That unit is going to cause some good buzz.

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    audio advisor has a halo integrated demo version available to save some coin. I did notice the A23 is rated for 125wpc and the halo integrated is rated at at 160 into 8 ohms....but Im not sure if there are differing current ratings on each.

The amp section is a new iteration of the Halo amp. Something like the power supply transformer from the A21 and the output section from the A23.
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    kevhed72 wrote: »

It looks like there was a problem with the first shipments of the integrated. So make sure the demo they have does not have the faulty part.
    Parasound wrote:
    After releasing a small number of the new Halo Integrated Amplifiers in the USA we elected to make a parts change. Parasound has temporarily paused production & shipments while we work diligently to confirm that the change is consistent with this model's performance standards in every respect. As of April 14, 2015 we are continuing to test units in order to perfect this change. We hope to resume shipping units again within the next several weeks. As soon as we have a firm date for shipping units to our customers around the globe we will announce it on our website.

Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Bumping an old thread. Considering either a P5 or halo integrated. The DAC is important to me. Is the integrated that much better?!? I don’t have any DSD files...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Just sold a P5. The P5 was good and served well for me for almost 5 years. I don't think the DAC was anything special. The noise floor on the P5 was to me it's only issue. The PS Audio SGCD is all around better choice and worth the few hundred extra it would cost on the used market imho.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    edited April 2019
    I just got the Halo Integrated and I'm very happy with it. Unfortunately, I can't speak to the relative quality of the DAC because I don't have anything to compare it to, but it sounds very nice to me. It was a huge step up from my old equipment, so to me, it sounds amazing. If the DAC is that important to you and is the deciding factor, perhaps get whichever you can get a better deal on, and use the money you saved on an external DAC? I was considering both the Integrated and the P5/A23 combo, and I was able to find a better deal on the Integrated, so that's the direction I went.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2019
    I've only listened to the Halo integrated at shows and thought it sounded nice powering Golden Ear speakers. However there was a Primare I32 Integrated powering some Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand system in the same room that sounded much more detailed and lively to my ears. Hard to make much of it given the short demo and different speakers.

Nevertheless, the brand/integrated that seems to get great feedback and is on my want list is the Vincent Audio SV-237MK. Its $500 cheaper than the Halo and you get a little tube magic. The majority of the feedback that I've read says that this integrated plays above its price point. Some like it more that other brands they've used like Mcintosh, Parasound, etc.

https://www.vincent-tac.de/en/product-lines/tubeline/sv-237mk.html
    https://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VISV237MK
    http://www.audiowaveshifi.com/Vincent.htm
    https://www.amazon.com/Vincent-Audio-Hybrid-Stereo-Integrated/dp/B075SN7D3G#customerReviews

https://www.speakerandstereostore.com/blog/2013/07/first-listen-vincent-audio-sv-237/
    http://www.i-fidelity.net/en/test-reports/high-end/vincent-sv-237/vincent-sv-237.html
    https://www.vincentshop.co.uk/sv-237-review
    https://7review.com/vincent-sv-237mk-review/

https://6moons.com/audioreviews/vincent2/1.html
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2