best ways/device to listen to music wireless

Options
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a focal wireless receiver.

I want to be able to play my music from my computer (mostly WAV and high rate mp3) wireless.

I also want guests in my home to be able to play their music....easily

Now there is a clear difference between a cd and a wav played thourhg the device on my system.

Anyone has a simple way so anyone can play their music with the best quality and a reasonnable price on my system?

I read that miniblink from Arcam is very good, but is it that much better than the focal?

Comments

• damnusernames
    Options
    I believe I might have wrongly asked my question.

is there any efficient pc based LOSSLESS wireless system.

In other words, the signal through the amp is exactly the signal sent to it from the source (dac notwisthanding)

Say in wav, all that is needed is 1411 kps which is much below any modern wifi network.

It seems feasible but all I can seem to find are bluetooth based wireless...

any suggestion?

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    Checkout the audoengine d2
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • damnusernames
    Options
    I will for sure!! Thank you. I dont' understand why it is so difficult to find such a simple thing.

I want to "no loss" send a signal wirelessly to my dac.

• jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Jriver software... Hapurs WiFi music box. Sounds Great and very inexpensive.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • damnusernames
    Options
    Wow, those audioengine thingies look perfect!!!

Thanks!!!

I believe I will bring the focal adpater back.

Nevertheless I have to say that the focal wireless adapter is great as it does not requires interconnects.

But it is bluetooth and the dac is good. No more no less.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Good lord. Almost 100% increase? $522 CAD is $418 US dollars. You'd be better off having someone here buy it and then ship it to you. Unless that isn't legal in some way, I have no idea.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • damnusernames
    Options
    Not illegal, BUT you have special charges if the item is not manufactured in either usa or canada ( I believe it has something to do with nafta), since most of this stuff is made by sick children somewhere east, it is a problem= more taxes. (hmmm... dark humor...just in case...I am against it and do every single thing I can to avoid buying stuff made in countries that don't respect human beings)

Then, there are sales taxes, import fees, levies and more taxes (federal + provincial depending on your location) + shipping fees.

I hope I don't offend anyone about cheap labor...but it just sickens me.

I don't mind paying more for stuff and having my dollars contributing to people's quality of life.

• damnusernames
    Options
    jeremymarcinko, Hapurs look a bit like apple airport. Seems like a good thing!!

Will have to consider as well as audioengine

Thanks

• jeremymarcinko
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It works great. I stream flac files to it and mp3s from airfoil/spotify. I just post a vid of that system, using the hapurs, give it a look if you like. I captured the video with my smartphone, so the hiss and pops present is because of that.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • D_M
    D_M Posts: 175
    Options
    Damnusernames,

I'm not sure what the price is in Canadian dollars, but it's $40.00 over here. It might be cheap enough that it's worth a shot. I use one with a Denon PRA 1500. It sounds good to me. The added bonus is that it is small enough to be portable, so you could connect to any system that has a RCA or 3.5mm input.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/bluetooth-audio-adapter
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I would stay away from Bluetooth. All Bluetooth is lossy even with aptX...unless you only want convenience.
  • damnusernames
    Options
    Hmm

I am essentially trying to find...a wireless wire...that's it.

I want to send 100% signal integrity to whatever sources I want (dac) FROM whatever sources I want (phone, laptop, pad, desktop, pod).

Essentially, most solutions are actually DACs with wireless (mostly bluetooth) capabilities.

Hapurs (suggested by jemerymarcinko) seems different, but I am not sure I fully understand the way it works.

Indeed what are the differences in between the "wifi music audio streaming box" and the "wifi music audio streaming box" ?? white and black

And for the audio engine d2, there seems to be a receiver and an emitter.

The perfect deal for me would be only a receiver on my dac that access whatever signal through my home wifi.

Or maybe some of the previous products offer exactly that and I misunderstood a few things.

:-(

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    edited April 2015
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I use jriver and Amazon fire stick/tv to stream flac. You can also use the wd tv. I'm a purist and couldn't tell a difference between them vs a USB cable connection.

I'm using a Fire TV plugged into the Oppo - mainly for TV streaming - but also use it to stream audio. It holds a signal in a weak spot better than the Oppo, sounds as good, and with the SB Player Android app, you can use it as a Squeezebox. Shows up as a SB on iPeng and does everything except Tidal (no support yet, if ever).
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • damnusernames
    Options
    vcwatkins wrote: »
    I use jriver and Amazon fire stick/tv to stream flac. You can also use the wd tv. I'm a purist and couldn't tell a difference between them vs a USB cable connection.

I'm using a Fire TV plugged into the Oppo - mainly for TV streaming - but also use it to stream audio. It holds a signal in a weak spot better than the Oppo, sounds as good, and with the SB Player Android app, you can use it as a Squeezebox. Shows up as a SB on iPeng and does about everything except Tidal.

I am afraid you got me lost after "I'm using"...

• jeremymarcinko
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There is a stainless steel version with an external antenna, and one that is black plastic with a smaller antenna inside. Both do the same thing. I opted for the stainless steel version just because it looks better. When it arrived I was impressed how sleek and substantial the little box was for the price.
  • damnusernames
    Options
    thank you Jeremymarcinko.

Hapurs does not seem to be available in Canada. (where dd you find it??)

As to audio engine, it seems interesting, but it is also a DAC...

I just want the "wire" (wireless though) from my source to my dac, not the processor itself.

I want my signal to be sent to my home network through wifi...

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Amazon.
  • cascius
    cascius Posts: 175
    Options
    The chromecast might also be an option. The only downside is that it doesn't support flac as far as I know.

What we did is to convert all of our flacs to mp3 with the highest setting possible and then uploaded it to Google music on both my wife's and my account. We now have 3 chromecast around the apartment and can play our music anywhere we want. She absolutely love it. Me, i'm quite happy except it's not lossless...

By the way, Google music lets you store up to 50,000 songs in the cloud now, not bad.

Main System:
    Front: SDA 2ATLs
    Center: CS2
    Surround: M40s
    Sub: PSW505
    Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1121k
    Amp: Carver AV 705x
    TV: Samsung LN52A650
    Media Player: Chromecast/Boxee Box
    BD Player: Sony BDP-S470
    Consoles: Xbox360, Wii U
  • damnusernames
    Options
    cascius wrote: »
    The chromecast might also be an option. The only downside is that it doesn't support flac as far as I know.

What we did is to convert all of our flacs to mp3 with the highest setting possible and then uploaded it to Google music on both my wife's and my account. We now have 3 chromecast around the apartment and can play our music anywhere we want. She absolutely love it. Me, i'm quite happy except it's not lossless...

By the way, Google music lets you store up to 50,000 songs in the cloud now, not bad.

Interesting about Google, I have much more than that though.... :-(

however, I just can't possibly transform my wav (intact pcm) into anything else. Most of these are very difficult to find classical interpretations.

This "file" is driving me nuts...How can it be so difficult to just send a signal with no loss in 2015 ?

I don't want a wireless dac...I want a wireless "wire".

My home network has about 70 times what I need to send a wav (1411kps) over.

This is madening!!

Some people have suggested interesting alternatives, but they all have a dac. I don't want to bypass my dac.

And I want everyone to be able to send a musical signal to my system without having to install some tricky drivers and such.

I am still looking and calling stores...and hearing analogies from salesmen about hard wood floor vs soft wood floor and whales vs sharks that played miniputt but were made for baseball...pfffff.

They almost all try to sell me cambridge audio streaming thingies.

p.s. I still can't find hapurs on amazon

• cascius
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I tried Sonos in the past. I liked the hardware side of thing, but really disliked the UI. It wasn't practical for my wife or friends to stream their own music.

The route I took was to batch convert all my flacs to mp3s at the highest level possible with dbpoweramp and then upload to Google music. Of course I kept all my flacs for the day a better solution arises.

My wife is extremely happy with this setup for what it's worth.

Ok, so it looks like chromecast supports .WAV files. Now what you need is the proper way to send those. Take a look at this article, they offer some sort of solution:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/170659/chromecast-more-than-web-pages-4-types-of-files-you-can-view-in-chrome/

And Jriver also seems to work with Chromecast. I haven't tried yet though.

For what it's worth, you might want to snatch one of those and test it. It's dirt cheap at $35 anyway and you can always return it.
    Main System:
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
  • damnusernames
    damnusernames Posts: 84
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jeremymarcinko:

49$ ?????

Too good to be true....can't be shipped outside the usa...

Post edited by damnusernames on
  • damnusernames
    Options
    Not sure why this is so hard? Amazon fire tv with Dlna app or wd tv live. If you're wanting hi Rez, that's a bit tougher. Those two will easily get the job done for flac or wav though.

I humbly admit I am getting a bit lost. Tv ??

• cascius
    Options
    Main System:
  • Simplyrandom
    Options
    jeremymarcinko:

49$ ?????

Too good to be true....can't be shipped outside the usa...

I can not verify as I do not own one but when I was looking in to the Hapurs unit it appears to be the same as this unit. Soundmate M2 Wi-Fi Audio Music Streaming Receiver. I would assume they have just rebranded it for different sellers. I am still looking for a similar solution for myself that will not break the bank. My setup is strictly 2 channel and analog and it seems most of the products available have optical or HDMI outputs. The only thing I am not crazy about with the Hapur or Soundmate is the 3.5 mm to rca adapter. That may be just something I will just have to live with but I am in no hurry so I will just have to keep looking until something bites me.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options
    Thanks to Skip I have the Amazon Fire TV, too. I very seldom use it for TV though, mostly for music.

I have JRiver on my computer and a DLNA app on my phone.

Here's how it works for me:
    I turn on my Fire TV (and make sure JRiver is running on my computer).
    Turn on my stereo.
    Get my iPhone and open the JRiver app.
    Chose the artists, song, genre...whatever.
    Hit play on the iPhone.
    Enjoy the music.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for, but that's my experience with the Fire TV.

It should be noted that I ripped all of my CD's to my hard drive first. All files are flac.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • damnusernames
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

I have JRiver on my computer and a DLNA app on my phone.

Here's how it works for me:
    I turn on my Fire TV (and make sure JRiver is running on my computer).
    Turn on my stereo.
    Get my iPhone and open the JRiver app.
    Chose the artists, song, genre...whatever.
    Hit play on the iPhone.
    Enjoy the music.

Hi, thank you very much for the breakdown in steps, that's is taking me a bit closer to understanding why I need a TV app to play music.

Now, I might sound like a caveman, but I don't have/want a phone. (well I have home phone).

So in the end, what is sending the signal in your setup, the computer or the phone?

To your knowledge, could it be played from just a laptop?

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    Yes, I also use the fire tv / jriver in a different room. You can use jriver from your pc. The phone app is just a controller.