Upgrade from AJ Pios?

Options
felipe
felipe Posts: 423
Hi all. As it is known..its tax time. Some have to pay, some get a refund. I got a refund on the way :). I've got a 400 buck budget limit. I'm still sticking with the 3.1 setup. My sub is plenty satisfactory. As the title says, are there any worthy upgrades from my AJ pios given my budget? I cant do floorstanders as that space has been allocated for shelf space..so bookies only. As i dont really do Internet, I'll give it a try..heck my sub is an ID one..lol. Any thoughts will be helpful. Thanks a mil ;)
My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

Comments

• felipe
    Options
    I see that the rti4s are about 175 a pair on ebay. csi3 for 170. I do like my pioneers, but i know there is better. would these be considered better?
    My Setup: Denon AVR X3600h, Polk Signature S50 Fronts w/ S30 Center and S15 Rears, LG UBK90 4K Player, TCL 6-Series 65”4k TV

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,973
    Options
    One pair that you might find for that price is the Energy RC10s. Fry's has put them on sale several times, and I imagine that they would be a good step up from the PIOs, but keep in mind that I haven't heard the pios...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • felipe
    Options
    RTi4s a lateral move? Really? I've never heard the RTis personally, but I wouldve figured they would be a step up..too bad. Someone else also mentioned the rc-10..don't think it has a matching center tho..

• felipe
    Options
    Ya that seems to be the concensus of a lot of others as well. In my research I saw that the pios competitor..the sony cores..have a sale going on..143/pair for the bookies and 110 for the center. Some people who've had or heard both preferred the sonys...??

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Keep what you have. Spend the money on LP's, SACD's, or whatever format it is that you use.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • felipe
    Options
    good analogy DSkip ;). I just got a little happy to have some extra dough..so i thought I would do an upgrade if it was a worthy one. Thanks guys for all your advice and help ;).

• Nightfall
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That SVS probably does explosions as well as a Pinto, however. Nice sub!

23.jpg

• felipe
    Options
    lol...I took the analogy as a cost one.."pinto" scale budget system.."lexus" scale sound ;). Haha..your probably right Nightfall..maybe better...lol

• Nightfall
    Options
    I never noticed that a new AJ line came out a couple months ago. They gave him more room money wise to play with and added Atmos (the upfiring, reflect off the ceiling variant). $750 for the bookshelves, $1400 for the floorstanders, $400 for the center, and $600 for the sub.

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-EBS73-Atmos-enabled-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B00MQEE4M8/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1426562838&sr=8-8&keywords=andrew+jones

• Nightfall
    Options
    I have to agree. $1400 could get you LSiM 703's, among many others.

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    heh with the accolades Skip gives em, I'm even considering a pair of the AJ Pioneer bookies for nearfield...could be interesting with a small SS amp.
    tube baby.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,314
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Maybe I didnt see it but what sub are you using? The pioneer small speakers really sound way above the price of admission. What are you looking to get more of or what do you think changing speakers will bring to you?
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    Here's an idea, do the Dennis Murphy upgrade to the Pioneers. I did it to mine plus a bit more. The results are not subtle with a smoother top end, more coherent mids and tighter bottom. To get the schematic for the center just drop Mr. Murphy a line.

Here's link to a write up I did about mine. http://vintagehifipgh.com/forum/index.php?topic=3252.0

If you decide to go forward with the mods and need help, just ask.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• felipe
    Options
    I agree for the price of those new AJ pioneer atmos there are other IMO better options. Im using the SVS PB1000..great sub:). I was just exploring possible options of "worthy" upgrades with my given current budget. From the input here, looks like my budget will have to double..at least..to achieve any significant upgrade. My current setup sounds great..in the process of tweaking the settings sicne I had the floorstanders before. Had to sacrifice the space for more storage.

Intersting mods you did there F1Nut. I dont know if can do all that..not really handy with circuit boards n such :(. Maybe the sound barrier mod I can do?

• F1nut
    Options
    Sure, that's easy. In fact, I added the SB before the rest of the mods and it did knock the boomy down a bit.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• felipe
    Options
    May I ask where you got that sonic barrier from?

• F1nut
    Options
    May I ask where you got that sonic barrier from?

Parts Express, the part number is listed in my link.
    Jesse, after mods, how do they compete?

Against the stock version? Much better. Against other speakers? I haven't compared any directly.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    It's too much of a PITA to swap speakers around in my various rigs.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Options
    Yeah I am pretty big, but I did give you a reach around.

President of Club Polk

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,649
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yeah I am pretty big, but I did give you a reach around.

Not a visual I was hoping for....

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Skip asked for it...he got it :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • felipe
    Options
    Poor skip lol. I'm helping my uncle build his audio setup. Like me, he's on a budget. I steered him towards the AJpios, but he was browsing the ads on craigslist, and he found a pair of cherry rtia1 in like new condition for 150 locally. Its important for him to match decor color per my aunts request ;-) Given the price, would the rtia1s be the the better buy?

• felipe
    Options
    Out of curiouslty, and since my budget has to pretty much double for an upgrade, what would y'all suggest? It must be bookies tho..and matching center of course lol. I would like to keep it within 800-900.

• Nightfall
    Options
    SDA CRS+

Hopefully Cathy doesn't read this. o:)

• felipe
    Options
    HSU Research HB-1 MK2 bookies and matching center? Someone suggested these. Didn't know that HSU made speakers (other than subs). Thoughts?

• felipe
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Good point. I was looking at SVS's speakers which seem quite good, but for the prices I think I can do better......for less ;). My old lady told me yesterday that her co-workers hubby is going with in-walls and theyre getting rid of their speakers..which are Polks. He has the RTI a1 cherry finish and the CSI a4 also in cherry. My old lady likes the look of those. She mentioned they would match BEAUTIFULLY with our furniture..think she's hinting?..lol. If the price is right ( or by some chance they just give them up no cost ;) ), would it be a worthy purchase? The WAF is definitely there ( think she wants them more than I do )..maybe she'll buy them haha..;)

• trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Options
    felipe, I think you should keep the AJ pioneers if you are planning to move to RTi bookshelfs.
    My side by side comparison: AJ Pioneers (FS52 towers) against RTi8s, the Pioneers heated my receiver to uncomfortable level. They are 6ohm speakers so will draw more from the receiver. But they did sound more musical. My primary focus was HT, so I returned the AJ towers and kept RTi8s.
    Just purchased a pair of RTi4s to finish up the 5.1, I should be pretty set.

In your situation, I would rather buy another pair of BS22 or FS52 and complete a 5.1 setup. But wait, I'd be a little weary of going with AJ towers if going 5.1 on the SONY receiver you got (from your signature). Specially after my experience with those towers.
    OR, you can score your wife's coworker's RTis, sell your AJ setup and purchase another pair of RTi's and complete a 5.1.

PS: Yes, cherry RTiAs are beautiful, grab them if you can for free or whatever you think its worth. FIY, I just paid $100 for a black set of RTi4s. Sure I could have got a cheaper set, but the seller seemed honest and the speakers were in mint condition.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not surprised the Jones' sounded more musical on that Yammie. That's a BRIGHT receiver, very BRIGHT! Also, not a ton of power in surround mode there. Makes sense that the Rtis were louder (more efficient). But I could never listen to music on a set of Rti-8s and that Yamaha for very long.

The vintage receiver in my sig is far warmer and better with the old Monitor 5s. And costs next to nothing? 40 watts x 2 and about 20 lbs vs the Yamaha's 7 x 90 watts and ONLY 23 lbs? What? Just kidding. In the surround mode these new AVRs cannot compete with the REAL stereo power of the vintage power supplies and caps.

But, if you're just running HT not much of the above matters. The SUB will handle a lot and the brightness will just seem like added "dynamism"!

Enjoy!
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • felipe
    Options
    Thanks for the input trj. I'm trying to convince my wife's co worker to let me audition them first. I'm thinking that the RTIa's will play louder, but be a bit more bright sounding. I consider my Sony to have a neutral sound..borderline slightly warm..might offset the brightness of the RTIa's. Trying to score a "no cost" purchase as well

• trj
    trj Posts: 320
    Options
    cnh wrote: »
    Not surprised the Jones' sounded more musical on that Yammie. That's a BRIGHT receiver, very BRIGHT! Also, not a ton of power in surround mode there. Makes sense that the Rtis were louder (more efficient). But I could never listen to music on a set of Rti-8s and that Yamaha for very long.

The vintage receiver in my sig is far warmer and better with the old Monitor 5s. And costs next to nothing? 40 watts x 2 and about 20 lbs vs the Yamaha's 7 x 90 watts and ONLY 23 lbs? What? Just kidding. In the surround mode these new AVRs cannot compete with the REAL stereo power of the vintage power supplies and caps.

But, if you're just running HT not much of the above matters. The SUB will handle a lot and the brightness will just seem like added "dynamism"!

Enjoy!

I would have kept the AJ Pioneers if it didn't heat up my AVR to that extent. But then RTi8's were used and cheaper too. Plus, I don't like pioneer as a brand at all. For some reason pioneer seems like cheap knock off car audio stuff :) .
    I went with RTis because I am using my system mostly for HT. I seldom run two channel music on it. Apartment dwelling doesnt leave too much of a choice when you are running out of space. As you said, sub handles much of the lower frequency, so for my need the sound is pretty good for HT use in a small living room. Now that I am adding RTi4s, I am not sure if the receiver will be able to drive all 5 channels, although I do have a sub.
    Side track: What kind of stands do you suggest to use RTi4s as surrounds? Don't want to drill holes in the wall (cement wall) nor is the shape of the room wall hang friendly.

I have a proper vintage two channel system my uncle gave me back home. Its from early to mid 80's. He is a musician, so his gear is always on par. But till I move to a house, that system has to wait. RTi's will be assigned to HT duty only.
    Sony BDP-S6500 | Raspberry Pi 2 | XBOX One S | Wii --> Yamaha RX-V667 --> Adcom 5006 bridged to 175 watts for front LCR -- >Front: Polk Audio RTi8s | Center: CSi5 | Side Surrounds: RTi4s | Rear surrounds: FXiA4s | Cheap 12" sub woofer|Samsung UN60KU6300