More power than 200watts for my RTI-12

Hello everybody.
Right now I have a receiver Marantz 7005 and an amp Adcom GFA-555 connected to my towers RTI-12 and sound Really good.
But, considering how ungry of power this towers are I am thinking about buying another GFA-555 and using monobridge, I think they give more than 400 watts instead of 200watts when you used just one in stereo mode.
My question is if it worth it in any way, considering that I gonna use at regular volume, not too loud. (Any one think that it increase the quality of the sound?
Thanks for your ideas and advices.
Polk RTI-12
Polk PSW-125
Polk RTI-3
Polk RTI-A1
AVR Marantz SR7005
Turntable Denon DP-300F
Power Console Belkin PureAV
Denon DVP-1610 Blue-ray/DVD/CD
Mediabridge ULTRA Series Speaker Cable

Comments

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    The 12s are more sensitive that you think. 90db and 8 ohms. The 200wpc should be fine, but some have said not great synergy between RTi series and Adcom.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,647
    Also some food for thought...

1. Bridging the GFA-555 will result in more power but higher distortion. Having done this myself, I can assure you that things may be slight;y ;ouder but the trade off on sound quality isn't worth it.
    2. To attain an additional 3db at any given volume requires double the power. 200wpc-->400wpc = *only* 3db louder.
    3. As Deronb1 said, the 90db sensitivity is very easy to drive...

In answer to your question, no...it will actually degrade the sound quality.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,344
    Sell the Adcom, buy a better amp and some better speaker cables.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Buy my Parasound HCA-3500, 350 watts of high current power from a true dual mono amp. It's all the amp you could ever need for the 12's.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/165663/fs-parasound-hca-3500-1400/p1

[/shameless plug]
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Thanks for all your coments, but only one question, I never read a profesional reviews against the Adcon, on the contrary, reviews only say good things, so I wonder if your opinión is because you have had it and have not convinced you their sound or because you read bad reviews.
    Thanks in advance for your feedbacks that are very usuful to me
    Polk RTI-12
    Polk PSW-125
    Polk RTI-3
    Polk RTI-A1
    AVR Marantz SR7005
    Turntable Denon DP-300F
  • What do you think about the Emotiva XPA-2?
    Polk RTI-12
    Polk PSW-125
    Polk RTI-3
    Polk RTI-A1
    AVR Marantz SR7005
    Turntable Denon DP-300F
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,344
    Adcom tends to be grainy up top.

Not much.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited February 2015
    If you wanna run two, get active crossovers and do a proper bi-amp, with good ICs and speaker cables. Hit up Doug for some awesome cable with a polkie discount http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/165549/new-dougs-cables#latesthttp://

www.douglasconnection.com/
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • Check out Parasound. Seriously. You don't have to buy my amp to hear what many have said which is the RTi/RTia line pairs very well with Parasoind amps. Their slightly warm sound creates nice synergy with the forward/slightly bright sound of the Polks and provide more than enough current to drive them.

Go for 200wpc minimum, HCA1500, 2003, 2205, 2200, and of course the coveted 3500.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• I have a 1200 II, as does @nbrowser , great amp, I plan to add 12s or 9s(if I don't pick up some LSI 9s or 15s first) one day, and I still might get them for HT.205 WPC into 8ohm.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Nothing wrongg with the gfa-555 at all. I owned one and was impressed. Like Jess said, can be grainy and forwardly dry when paired with the rti series.
  • I have a gfa 555 series 1 and while not pushing 12s I do use them for my SDA 2Bs and like I've said I come no where near the amps volume/current potential because it will blow the speakers at around 10/11 0'clock on my pre. The same people who do not like McIntosh for some reason also find Adcoms not to their liking. It's not bright grainy or whatever phrase you want to put it down to me. I guess the old saying goes if it sounds good to me then it's ok. For $300 your not going to do any better. Let them spend their own cash and you be happy w/ the 555. Good cables will help a lot as will a good pre to tame that so called brightness if you find that to be true.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • Thank you very much for all the very usuful coments.
    I will take it into account!! :)
    Polk RTI-12
    Polk PSW-125
    Polk RTI-3
    Polk RTI-A1
    AVR Marantz SR7005
    Turntable Denon DP-300F
  • Id love to buy rti12s but all the issues and money needed dealing with an amp is off putting. I have the rti8s currently so maybe the Rti10s would be ideal.
  • Agreed. Unless you're just curious, the 10's aren't enough of an upgrade to justify the expense and effort.
    But you will want an amp with the big boys. where the 8's do better with just an AVR.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down