Speaker Stand Conundrum

Ok, it's almost universally accepted that using spikes to couple floor standing speakers to the floor is of great benefit and when it comes to speakers stands, adding mass (shot/sand) and using spikes to couple the stands to the floor is also of benefit. So, why do many say it's best to decouple the speakers from the stand? Would it not be of greater benefit to couple, as in bolt, the speakers to the stand making it one unit?

Thoughts?
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    I am in the camp of the bolt down to one unit. My electrostats suffer more so than most otherspeakers from inertia problems, the cabs need to be heavy and suffer if not using spikes. If bookshelfs are secured to the stand then it would seem benificial by my way of thinking as vibration would be absorbed through the unit as a whole.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,313
    Check out these stands, http://app.audiogon.com/listings/stands-langerton-speaker-stands-2-0-heavy-duty-stands-hand-made-in-germany-2015-02-01-accessories-92307-apple-valley-ca

In the last picture the speakers seem to be resting on feet, perhaps rubber?

Also, check out the tube amp on the left in that last pic......way cool.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,496
    I think the idea behind decoupling the speakers from the stands is to make them less prone to vibrations transferred to the floor, caused by the speaker cabinets themselves vibrating (which is essentially what the speaker stand spikes are doing as well). Less vibration transferred to the floor leads to less vibration to the rest of your system, as well as less vibration transferred back to the speaker cabinets.

By decoupling the speakers from the stands (rubber pads, etc.) and the stands from the floors (spikes) there is less surface area of the speakers contacting the stands to transfer the energy from the vibrating speaker cabinets. Also, there is less tranasfer of enrgy from the stands to the floor because of the spikes. We all know, less vibration equals greater clarity, detail imaging, etc.

Ideally, if you could have the speakers levitating in mid-air, it would be ideal. Then, only mid-air sound wave vibrations could affect your system with their vibrations.

I am not sure if I was clear in stating what I mean, but hopefully you get the point.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    I'm all for direct coupling of the speakers to the stands, and the stands to the floor. I would also add, the stand should be as ridged as possible, with added mass, and out-riggers front and back, to compensate for the speaker's woofer movement. Pressure on the front and rear spikes is inversely proportional to the direction the woofer is moving. More mass, and out-riggers will mitigate this.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    I would imagine vibrations Jess. If the speaker is bolted down to the stand, vibrations will easily pass to the speaker. De-coupled.....for the same reason you do on the gear in your stand, isolate it.

The weight of the stand acts like a concrete floor does for bigger spiked floorstanders. Bigger speakers have more weight to them too so vibrations when they are decoupled from the floor by way of the spikes should be a non issue.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Bigger speakers have more weight to them too so vibrations when they are decoupled from the floor by way of the spikes should be a non issue.

Generally speaking, spikes couple the speaker to the floor.

http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/whitepaper/Genesis_Loudspeaker_Coupling_Decoupling.pdf

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Right...darn...lol scratch the "de".
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Another thought, big speakers produce more vibrations by way of increased bass response. A bookie on stands is going to leave that role to a dedicated sub most the time. All in all, I think it's a weight issue and vibration issue....unless your making those cinder block speakers I saw in another thread.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,863
    Jesse, I have actually asked this question to the horse's mouth. Mr. Gary Kohl himself. (He's the owner of Genesis and the author of the linked article, for those who don't know)

Great question BTW. I'm looking forward to this question being answered as well for my own benefit. Thanks for asking!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    All in all, I think it's a weight issue and vibration issue....

I agree and that's why I'm thinking the added weight of the stands assuming they are mass loaded as they should be would be a benefit resulting in deeper, tighter bass as well as greater clarity in the mid-range.

President of Club Polk

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,578
    Yup it's interesting Jesse. I will say I don't know the answer. I think it could be one of those that varies based in the application...

I've not gotten to it though as I'm technically cheating with the spikes I have (meniscus group buy), since they don't pierce the carpet and as such don't couple the slab and speaker together.

I've seen lots of folks lately buying these babies for their near field speakers...

http://www.isoacoustics.com/index.php
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • gce
    gce Posts: 2,158
    I use stands for my 703's with spikes and filled with sand. My thought is if you get any vibration after that the rubber pads between the stand and speaker will take care of it. If you bolt the speaker to the stand then there's no secondary dampening.
    Anaheim Hills CA,
    HT 5.1: Anthem MRX 720 / BDP-Denon DBT1713UD / Polkaudio LSiM703 / W4S mAmp's / Polkaudio LSiM706c / Polkaudio LSiM702F/X's / SVS PC12-NSD / Panasonic TC P55VT30

2 Channel: Rogue RP-5 / WireWorld Electra power cord / Marantz TT-15S1/ Ortofon - Quintet Black MC / Marantz NA8005 DAC / W4S mAmp's / Synology DS 216+ll-4TB / Polkaudio LSiM703
  • Jhayman
    Jhayman Posts: 1,548
    edited February 2015
    I use blue Tac to couple my speakers to my Sand filled stands and use spikes with disks on a 80lb slab of Granite with slim felt pads on the bottom to stop from scratching the floors..
    I found adding the Granite slabs helped with tighter bass and increased midrange and imaging.
    51fdm8jkffv5.jpg
    s0hzzotd3zsm.jpg
    ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • F1nut
    So, after the game tonight I emptied the 25 lbs. of lead shot out of one of my Skylan speaker stands replacing it with about 40 lbs. of screened, washed and dried playground sand. Although the sand seemed dry I decided yesterday to bake it in the oven for 20 minutes at 350 degrees to be sure. Kind of a PITA, but you know.......

I did this for two reasons, the shot only filled the bottom 6 inches of the twin columns and if I tapped on them any higher they sounded hollow. I could also feel the columns vibrating towards the top especially with heavy bass. The other reason is I wanted more mass. I thought about filling them all the way up with shot, but figured that would result in at least 300 lbs. per stand, which seemed like too much weight for the 1 inch thick MDF base. That and I wouldn't be able to move them without using a hand truck.

The now sand filled columns are completely dead when tapped and no longer vibrate, a step in the right direction for sure. I need to buy another bag of sand to do the second stand, then I will contemplate whether I want to couple the speakers to the stands or leave them decoupled.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Jamie, looking good there. Question for you, did you try them decoupled first?

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    I've seen lots of folks lately buying these babies for their near field speakers...

http://www.isoacoustics.com/index.php

Thanks for the link Dan, I haven't seen those before. An interesting design, but far to short for my needs. They definitely believe in decoupling.

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    F1nut wrote: »
    Bigger speakers have more weight to them too so vibrations when they are decoupled from the floor by way of the spikes should be a non issue.

http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/whitepaper/Genesis_Loudspeaker_Coupling_Decoupling.pdf

They do couple the speaker to the floor, but do it with the least amount of surface area possible. I am not sure it is by design to purposely couple the speaker to the floor, but since the speakers and stands have to be placed upon something, those somethings with the least amount of surface area contact is what is trying to be accomplished. It is the speaker weight that couples the speakers to the stands, and to the floor. My thoughts are it is a side effect, more than on purpose. It seems to me that decoupling is as important as coupling. I may be wrong in my thoughts.

Reading back my reply above, I put decouple in place of couple in a couple spots where is should be coupled. Should not reply at 2:00 A.M. (oh wait ;) ); sorry guys for the confusion.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • westmassguy

A very interesting read. Makes me want to install a bass-brace on my spiked 2As,
    The spikes take care of the vertical movement, and the brace would mitigate any horizontal movement.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,535
    I like "hard" de-coupling for the stands, but prefer soft de-coupling between the speaker bottom and stand. Just a personal preference.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,863
    edited February 2015
    Hello, Jesse. I just heard back from Gary and this is what he had to say;
    It really depends on the design of the speaker stand. In many cases, the stand isn't massive enough and well-coupled enough to be regarded as part of the Earth, and isn't light enough that you would couple it to the speaker and make it part of the speaker. In both cases, it then the interaction of the stand makes vector forces extremely complex. As the center of gravity of the stand would be below the speaker, the stand actually rocks in the opposite direction of the speaker. Then, couplers, decouplers, sand, etc. change this interaction and all bets are off. I'll try to get a diagram done and post later.

I'll update you when he gets back to my inquiry.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,466
    Very interesting reading. One would wonder what Polk's reasoning was for **** their old Monitor line to the stands. Maybe the stand is heavy enough? Maybe the backward cant of the speakers helps? Could the above reasons also be why the 10's had shorter stands than the 7's? Or..., was it all because of lawyers who warned Polk that the speakers could rattle off the stands and someone could get injured? Interesting...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • Jhayman
    Jamie, looking good there. Question for you, did you try them decoupled first?
    Thanks Jesse, I Love the sound of these speakers with the VTL Compact 100's
    The only other thing I tried was just using the shipping crates as stands while I was looking for proper stands they sounded fine to me.
    I've since moved my system upstairs so the sound is different, hard to compare but I prefer it upstairs.
    I use the blue Tac to secure the speaker to the stand for safety concerns as these are quite expensive, handmade in Italy, so shipping would be crazy for repairs or what not.
    rr5nq83nz1pm.jpg

ATC SCM40's,VTL TL 2.5 Preamp,PSB Stratus Goldi's,McCormack DNA 500,McCormack MAP-1 Preamp,Pro-Ject Xtension 10 TT,Ortofon Cadenza Red/Nordost RedDawn LS Speaker cables, Bryston BDP-2, Bryston BDA-2,PS Audio AC-3 power cables
  • Jhayman
    edited February 2015
    xnvnq30ktlki.jpg
    rbu0c066anhg.jpg
  • F1nut
    The upstairs rig looks very nice and I like the stands much better than the crates.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    A little update. So, I filled the other stand with sand and got everything set back up. Ok, this resulted in improved clarity, that is until I put some volume to it then the sound became etched. As the speakers have semi-hard rubber feet already on them I was really scratching my head if I should go to a full coupling or try to de-couple them further. After getting some feedback from Gary of Genesis (thanks Tom) and another gentleman at the WBF I added some soft foam discs I had laying around under the rubber feet. Ah, much smoother at higher volume levels and still nice at lower levels. Going against what seemed logical to me it is clear to me now that I should forget the coupling idea and experiment with other de-coupling devices.

President of Club Polk

• headrott
    That was my thought Jesse. Glad things are improving.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I saw this on another forum.
    I use Herbies Big Fat Dots between my M40.1s and Skylan stands. Definitely helped. I have the axis crossing in front of my listening position. It makes a difference give the wide baffle of the speaker.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    A little update. So, I filled the other stand with sand and got everything set back up. Ok, this resulted in improved clarity, that is until I put some volume to it then the sound became etched. As the speakers have semi-hard rubber feet already on them I was really scratching my head if I should go to a full coupling or try to de-couple them further. After getting some feedback from Gary of Genesis (thanks Tom) and another gentleman at the WBF I added some soft foam discs I had laying around under the rubber feet. Ah, much smoother at higher volume levels and still nice at lower levels. Going against what seemed logical to me it is clear to me now that I should forget the coupling idea and experiment with other de-coupling devices.
    Revisiting this thread bookmarked a while back, now that I'm playing with speaker stands. The Pangeas I just recently built came with soft foam disks. I thought this would be a bad thing and also used harder rubber feet. So, harder material is coupling, and softer material is isolating and decoupling?
    I disabled signatures.
  • westmassguy
    msg wrote: »
    Revisiting this thread bookmarked a while back, now that I'm playing with speaker stands. The Pangeas I just recently built came with soft foam disks. I thought this would be a bad thing and also used harder rubber feet. So, harder material is coupling, and softer material is isolating and decoupling?

Scott, you're going to start another debate on that one.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,974
    Hehe, yeah, I better watch my language. Those are some bad words around here.
    I disabled signatures.