Mastiff time!

Options
Or at least I hope so! I've submitted the initial application, as well as an initial screening call, in the hopes of adopting this pretty girl:

http://www.southernstatesmastiffrescue.org/dogs/available-mastiffs/lilly-bell-tn-available

I have a friend that has some Cane Corso puppies, but I prefer the more gentle nature of the English Mastiff, as I'll have it around strangers on a daily basis.

Anyone here have a mastiff or other "giant dog breeds"? I have done a boatload of research, but am ears open to any additional feedback, training ideas, etc.

Fingers crossed, I'll be able to pick her up in early/mid-February if all goes well!
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

Comments

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    My older brother has a Cane Corso male, not quite 2 years old. It's a good looking dog, huge actually...seems to be mild tempered, but plays ruff and my kids are very scared of him.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    Are they sure she is only two with all that grey around her muzzle?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Are they sure she is only two with all that grey around her muzzle?

That actually concerned me as well. I don't mind rescuing an older dog, I'd just like to know ahead of time. I am super soft at heart when it comes to pets, so the longer she lives the better!

• polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Best of luck, they are beautiful dogs,

Cheers
    Roger
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    That might be grey. I have seen the fawn mastiffs with the light muzzle and because of the mix of black and fawn, it looks a little grey.

I absolutely LOVE English Mastiffs. My brother has Corsos and they are just a bit too high strung for me. I have purchased 3 OEM's as pups and taken in two as rescues. Every one was an amazing companion. Best of luck to you!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • jflail2
    Options
    My older brother has a Cane Corso male, not quite 2 years old. It's a good looking dog, huge actually...seems to be mild tempered, but plays ruff and my kids are very scared of him.

Yea, a friend of mine here has one, and he's a SUPER laid back dog. But I've heard over and over that, as a whole, they are NOT friendly with strangers/other dogs, and can be very high strung indeed. That's why I'm focused on an OEM. The gentle giant nature is what appeals to me most.

Trav, just shot you a reply. I'd like to chat this evening if you're around.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited January 2015
    Options
    She is more than likely 4-5yrs old with the gray. I have owned a Mastiff, currently own boxers on my 3rd and 4th of this breed. I am a glutton for punishment for the gentle giant, h,ell-on-wheels breeds.

The only down fall is their longevity
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    She is more than likely 4-5yrs old with the gray. I have owned a Mastiff, currently own boxers on my 3rd and 4th of this breed. I am a glutton for punishment for the gentle giant, h,ell-on-wheels breeds.

And their food consumption. Budget for that and forget many audio upgrades :D

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

And their food consumption. Budget for that and forget many audio upgrades :D

Awe...her food budget is like the families....she's a counter surfer

"Her only negative is that she counter surfs. So if you leave food on the counter when you leave, she will eat it all, and everything! She also has a bad habit of getting into the trash when left alone"

My big boy boxer just started counter surfing a few weeks ago, stole my cookies while going to the restroom, and a 1/2 pound of uncooked bacon while making dove diablo's......ooohhhh the Yosemite Sam quotes came spilling out my mouth

Still lovem'
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    What a beauty! Good Luck!

We have a couple friends with Mastiffs - they aren't long lived which is always tough on them (our friends, not the dogs) but amazing dogs. Different as can be though, one a huge teddy bear, one afraid of her own shadow, and one in between.

I rescued a couple pups this year as well, good on you for taking on the job, FWIW, ours were listed as 2 years old and vet/tooth checked in at more like 4 but ours are little and will likely last a long time.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    My neighbor Jack had one. His name was Tiny & us 4 kids use to jump on him & play with him all the time. What a sweet dog he was. Make sure you have room & if it gets on your furniture make sure its sturdy :smile:
    Randy/Maine
  • jflail2
    Options
    Yea, the shorter life span is the one realllly tough part, but i should be OK past that. Plenty of room in the house, decent sized fenced in back yard, king size bed, etc.

Haha, and thankfully I keep the counters clean, and my trashcan is in a cabinet, so it shouldn't get too messy.

• Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    Lots of slobber gets whipped around when they shake their face. Legendary breed. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • trav0810
    trav0810 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    Dabutcher wrote: »
    Lots of slobber gets whipped around when they shake their face. Legendary breed. Good luck. D

Yeah, I forgot to tell you about "the towel". I keep a dishtowel laying on the arm of the couch. Anytime Molly makes a trip to her water bowl, I have it ready when she comes back!

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.” -Albert Einstein

Sony Playstation 3 for CD and Streaming
    Thorens TD320
    Modified Carver C-1
    Carver TFM 42 and 45 Amplifiers
    Polk RTA15TL Speakers w/Decato mods
    White Lightning Moonshine DIY Speaker Cables and Interconnects
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Looks like a beautiful dog. Hope you get him.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    One of these dogs bit my childhood friends lip in half by accident when Brian was like 9 and it disfigured him for life despite the reconstruction.
  • jflail2
    Options
    trav0810 wrote: »
    Dabutcher wrote: »

Yeah, I forgot to tell you about "the towel". I keep a dishtowel laying on the arm of the couch. Anytime Molly makes a trip to her water bowl, I have it ready when she comes back!

Hah! Spot on gents. A few websites that I've been using for research have noted exactly that. One lady basically said, "have a drool rag in every room of your house where the dog goes regularly, and be prepared to use them often."

Thanks all. I'm really hoping this pans out. She seems like the perfect addition to my home, and I'd be getting the best of both worlds (the breed I want, but still rescuing an animal.)

• muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,970
    Options
    She's a big sweetie, hope you get her. We love big dogs, have had several St Bernards. As stated the hard part to loving them is the short life span and the humid summers around here are tough on them since we do not have a.c. in the house.

We have switched gears and now my best friend is an Aussie Shepherd.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    edited January 2015
    Options
    A friend of mine had a mastiff, Buster, several years ago. Awesome dog! He was truly a "gentle giant", weighing in at about 210 pounds! That dog would calmly lay on the floor and let their little girl crawl all over him, often using his ears or extra skin as a gripping point. However, strangers or those the dog wasn't quite comfortable with yet DID NOT come between that dog and the little girl, or the rest of the family for that matter. He literally would steadfastly box you out, like Shaquille O'Neal under the hoop or near the buffet table. Then, once the adults of the family would let Buster know someone was okay, he'd welcome them too.

Lilly Bell looks like a wonderful dog! Good luck on getting approved, whatever the process may be, and getting her settled into your home as a member of your family. Good on you for putting the time and effort into knowing what you're getting into for a lifetime commitment and for rescuing her. The investment will surely be well worthwhile. Be sure to post some pics and an update once she's arrived.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    One of these dogs bit my childhood friends lip in half by accident when Brian was like 9 and it disfigured him for life despite the reconstruction.
    We had a beautiful springer spaniel Ben & the older daughter would grab its back legs & pull them. I kept after her & one day the 1y/o springer had enough. He bit her & the wife said Ben had to go. Ben was a great dog & could hunt bird/retrieve like you couldnt believe. All dogs bite when provoked or feel threatened.

Randy/Maine
  • gdb
    gdb Posts: 6,012
    Options
    Unfortunately, a large number of dogs from shelters and rescues in the South test positive for heartworms. I hope and pray that your Lilly-Belle isn't one of them ! The treatment is long and hard on the dog. (and everyone else too) And, it's not always successful, which is the hardest of all. Good luck ! She is beautiful !
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,648
    Options

Dang, aren't you Mr Buzzkill? Bet you're fun at parties...

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    Any breed of dog can bite - geez.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • jflail2
    Options
    Well, that is a good point actually. Any breed can bite, but if this one does with enthusiasm ....you'll know it for sure. Temperament was therefore my primary deciding factor. And they are apparently very good about checking for heart worms when a dog "joins" the rescue society, so I think I'm OK there. There will be many pictures coming once shes here!!

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Options
    While I was in college 40+ years ago, my fraternity had a Mastiff as the house pet. The disposition of that dog was unbelievable, and you can imagine what rough-housing and horsing around you get in a house full of 18-22 year old barbarians.

Great breed and a wonderful choice -- especially because you have done your homework and know the pros and cons.

Kudos to you for rescuing a precious animal!
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• jflail2
    Options
    For a quick update, everything is complete except for the home visit. They're coming out next Tuesday to ensure my house is in order (it is), and then I'll just have to pick a date to ride down and pick her up!!

There was a woman in NC who was also interested, but thankfully she dropped out of the race. So as long as next week goes smoothly, she'll be in her permanent home very soon!

Thanks for the kind words all. I'm honestly super excited, and am hoping the last of it works out in my favor (and hers!)

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    Just like adopting a kid, lots of love coming to your home soon. Your a good man JF, you probably saved that dogs life.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    Good luck!! You're doing a great thing here!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Options
    Good luck, jflail2. Looking forward to seeing pics of your new addition once she's settled in a bit!
  • jflail2
    Options
    A quick update here for those that are interested. The home visit went very well. I think they just wanted to make sure I didn't have a pig sty for a house (I was raised in a military household so I still make my bed everyday, haha), and that I didn't have a dog tied up alone in the back yard.

I then got a call a couple of nights ago saying "some guy in NC has dibs on her, and was approved 5 days ahead of you." So I was honestly expecting to be back to square one, and was a little disappointed in the whole process.

I spoke to the foster mom last night, and found out that the guy in NC decided to go with a puppy instead. So I paid the adoption fee ASAP this morning. It's official gents!!

I now have an 8 hour (each way) ride to near Nashville to pick her up next weekend. I think the biggest problem is going to be trying to be patient until next Friday!

Here's the pretty girl on a car ride. Glad she likes them, b/c she's going basically everywhere with me when I'm not at work.

gpm335ho5hu9.jpg

I appreciate all the positivity here, and couldn't be more excited!