have you weened yourself off the treble control?

Options
2»

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited February 2004
    Options
    have you weened yourself off the treble control?

Why yes. As a matter of fact, I have. I used to be a treble-cranker. Steve is right about the cassettes and 8-track, though. Especially on the cheap decks I had at the time, treble boost was needed.

Now, as a general rule, I use bypass, tone-defeat, direct... whatever it's called on various pieces of gear, to avoid additional processing. I bought a Sonic Holography pre, though, and the hologram is fun to play with.

Jason
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz

But most everyone put their new albums on cassette, and then listened constantly to the cassette. Cassettes mind you, a whopping 15khz on the high side under the best of circumstances; high quality tape, bias properly adjusted, record levels that were high enough to avoid bad S/N ratios, but low enough not to roll-off high frequencies, ect...

Whew! I feel alot better now....

is DAT any better?

my path forward definetly has a DAT budgeted... cassettes sucked but 8 tracks were ok. Is there a reason to bag the DAT idea?

1/4Twin

ps. I'll catch up:p
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • KeithV
    KeithV Posts: 107
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I've never used the tone controls.. I've messed with them and I prefer flat.

No EQs, no tone, no balance.. I want a pre with no tonal controls, just volume.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I thought DAT was a great idea, unfortunately it was not marketable to the "mass consumer." I used to use a PCM decoder and Hi-Fi VHS to accomplish the same thing--it sounded great--but later relented to all digital sources...

In fact using a hi-fi vhs still works great; no tape hiss and better fidelity than you'll get with the best of reel-to-reel machines. Try it some time, it sounds great.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Agree steve... even EP mode. A VCR's spinning head creates such a high, effective ips tape speed, it's a very noise free recording.

But say that around reel to reel aficionados, like over at audiokarma, and you'd better be prepared to run...

Taping 6 hour chunks of whatever broadcast music you want, and then editing it down, is a great way to make party tapes...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Definitley depends on the recording...
  • Harlowe
    Harlowe Posts: 8
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Oh is that those nob things I never knew they turned I just assumed they were decorative. I have never used them. Using them is sort of like taking a Picasso and adding your own stuff to the painting. Why change what an artists believes the sound should be like?? How many of you REALLY listen to music as opposed to background sound. By that I mean sit there and listen to the music and not read or talk and appreciate the art. My example of Picasso. Do you go to a museum and read a book or appreciate the art. Or even a more simple example do you take a book to a movie and read or watch and enjoy???

Harlowe
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I think we're forgetting the BIGGEST problem, recording engineers and corner-cutting on the production of the music itself. The best system in the world won't do much to help that cause; hence, the bass & treble knob.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    I think we're forgetting the BIGGEST problem, recording engineers and corner-cutting on the production of the music itself. The best system in the world won't do much to help that cause; hence, the bass & treble knob.

Good point Steve. Also makes me wish all DVD's were superbit.

Also, you will all be happy to know that I am down to a +2 on treble control, which is a big stretch to me since I was running at +10. It only took about one song worth of listening for my ears to adjust to the new setting. Maybe someday I'll go for 0.

Regards,
    PolkThug
  • sowen010599
    sowen010599 Posts: 343
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I had the treble turned up just a little, maybe 2 or so. Then I was playing around with speaker placement. I moved the mains out about 2' from the wall. They got much, much brighter there. I had to turn the treble back down. Just goes to show you how important proper placement is.
    Go BIG or go home!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma

But say that around reel to reel aficionados, like over at audiokarma, and you'd better be prepared to run...

Did somebody say Reel?

When I quit playing with my treble my pimples went away, however, I do occasionally digress. My onk is set to Direct now, it removes the temptation of trebling all over myself.

Still, wonder why some folks say they have spent big bucks for wire to "tone" down a bright system.:confused:
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by reeltrouble1
    Still, wonder why some folks say they have spent big bucks for wire to "tone" down a bright system.:confused:

Because they are looking for a very wide peak or dip, not something like a treble control that picks a small range at 5K or 10K which allows that narrow range to be raised or lowered? Those same people might do well with a parametric EQ but I'm sure they would rather have something passive.
    madmax:)
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    What's Treble?

When I was 18-22 or so, I used to run the EQ in a 'V', and took advantage of the Loudness contour, Bass, and Treble controls. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Yes Max you make a good point about the passive nature of the wire.

The V was the same thing I was shown when I used an EQ, they were considered nearly essential in my area about 25-30 years ago. They looked very cool. No doubt that an EQ actively changes what you hear. I suppose I was trying to say that I think using wire to tame your system is difficult and can be expensive.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2004
    Options
    On my 2ch rig NO. In fact I've been thinking about putting a resistor in-line with my interconnects and totally bypassing my preamp. I won't be able to adjust the volume without changing ICs, but I usually listen to my music at about the same level on this rig (unless I've been drinking).

On my main HT system I'm running metal horn/compression driver Altecs and solid state. For most music it's superb, but throw on Funkadelic -"Maggot Brain", and it'll shatter your teeth. Fortunately my receiver has a "music direct" mode and a normal mode where I can set the EQ down a little on the highs.

This is also my my 2.1ch movie rig. I tend to pump the bass higher for DVD and VHS. Fortunately I can set each mode accordingly.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited March 2004
    Options
    gidrah Which Altec do you have? My brother has the model-19 Altec.

I run tone bypassed and have for many years. It the early 70's I added treble.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited March 2004
    Options
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15277

They're A-7 components, but not in the horn loaded woofer cabinet. I'm working on that though.
    Make it Funky! :)