have you weened yourself off the treble control?

Options
steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,522
edited March 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Took me 42yrs, but i finally weened myself off the treble knob. I've never used the bass knob, as the flat setting always worked for me, but I have always liked a little extra sparkle in my highs.

But, alas...the "Tone Bypass" has been engaged. Is it possible my hearing is getting better with age? Don't think i could've done it without my Athena AS-F2's though; the tweeter used in these speakers is superb.

How about you?, it's alright, admit it---you do use the treble control every now & then, right? You're among friends...fess up...don't give me that "nah man, I've been an audio purist since the crib" ****....I know better...
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I havent used the treble control with any of the POLKs I had in last 3 years. I sometimes do increase treble in my car.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I've always cut the treble slightly since birth.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I've always used the flat settings on my stereo receivers. But I did use the "loudness" adjust on the Yamaha CR1020 I used to have. When I had the Parasound P/HP 850 preamp, I used the "tone bypass" and the "direct out" connections. My Anthem tube preamp doesn't have any tone controls. I don't try to fix bad recordings, I just listen to all the warts.
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I have the PHP-850, I love it. Direct-out/Tone-bypass too, well, now anyways.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Depends on the system and the equipment. In my truck, no signal modification what so ever. Flat settings across the board. The Polk Audio dB's (older model, mid-late 90's) never really needed it.

Home stereos, yes because the equipment doesn't have as nice a response as I would like but hey, beggars can't be choosers!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,027
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Depends on the recording, good recording - flat. Bad recording, lower
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Trebles always at 0 and bass usually up a bit but then again my speakers suck compared to most of yours lol :D
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Haven't owned a home audio treble control in in a decade or so...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    edited February 2004
    Options
    No tone controls here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I once got in treble with my wife, and she didn't turn my knob for over a month :mad:
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2004
    Options
    running flat for so long I can't remember when I stopped

I have currently have a pre amp that has no tone controls not even a balance knob
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2004
    Options
    What's Treble?

When I was 18-22 or so, I used to run the EQ in a 'V', and took advantage of the Loudness contour, Bass, and Treble controls. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Then again, the gear I owned leaved a lot to be desired. FULLY weened (tone control sober) for almost 10 years now. Had the shakes for a while, got really angry easily - but a lot of coffee, Marlboro's, and a weekly support group meeting got me through it.

I'm fine with it now, and have no desire to go back. I can even be around people that use tone controls, I thought that would be the hardest part - but I just don't get the urge anymore.

The first step in recovering is *admitting* you have a problem.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Direct out all they way. Now how about video contrast? All my TV's used to be in torch mode (full contrast). Now those pictures always look washed out. I can spot a TV in torch mode a mile away.:cool:
  • sowen010599
    sowen010599 Posts: 343
    edited February 2004
    Options
    It's set at zero baby. Shrillness reminds me of my wife. ;)
    Go BIG or go home!
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2004
    Options
    So nobody else had a "treble sweet-tooth"? You guys are good, I'm very proud.

I've been doing the weening process for some time, and for the last year I had the treble set to one click (+2dB) from flat; now she's bypassed, finally.

The Parasound PHP-850 sounds fantastic in direct mode, I can really appreciate this preamp now...
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I can say I never played or found the treble did much for me; however, I addicted to the bass adjust. My final fix was the dual subs with the Marchand gain control...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

:p

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2004
    Options
    HB2, where in Missouri? I'm a Missouri boy myself, born & raised in North County, Saint Louis.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I was down in Jeff City but now I'm on the KC side living in Lee's Summit.

Your in Sierra Vista aren't you? I was on Ft. Huachuca for a couple years and Loved it. Alamosa, the company I work for now owns the PCS network there in SV.

I have to do a sweep of all my markets this year and when I'm down in AZ I'll look you up. Lets try to go to Bisbee(ch Sp) to the Copper Queen hotel for a beer. I had so much fun down in Bisbee.... the only land left for the 60's hippies ;)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I guess I'm the only one....

I have my treble set at +10 and bass set at +2. Now you **** have got my brain going again that I need to do more tweaking! :D

Hmm, flat controls don't sound right to me, but there must be some merit to it since all of you are doing it that way.

Regards,
    PolkThug

*digging mic and spectrum analyzer back out* jk
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2004
    Options
    HB2, Absolutely! We'll have you over for some steak & mesquite shrimp...and of course, brewski's.

• steveinaz
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkThug

I have my treble set at +10 and bass set at +2. Now you **** have got my brain going again that I need to do more tweaking!

FINALLY, somebody redeems me, thank you brother! I know your pain, took me forever to back that treble knob down, I just liked the "presence" it gave...but I'm getting better!

You don't need to tweak anything, just slowly reduce the treble one click a month (this is the Steve Re-habilitation method). Before you know it, you'll get addicted to the new un-adulterated sound. What amazed me about my parasound, is that the bass sounds much better with the tone by-passed, i can't figure that one out as I always left it flat. Now, when i turn up the treble, I don't like the sound--at all. Too much phase shift and the sound is too "artificial."
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkThug

I have my treble set at +10 and bass set at +2. Now you **** have got my brain going again that I need to do more tweaking! :D

Hmm, flat controls don't sound right to me, but there must be some merit to it since all of you are doing it that way.

how could adding anything to the original recording be the correct way of listening? That is why +/-0 is the way to go, flat baby. Now unusual room or sub-par equipment might need a boost here or there, but +10?? oh man that is just wrong.

As Steve pointed out, step it down a little at a time. Well actually eff that, get it flat and just live through the withdraw, you will be cured in no time lol.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2004
    Options
    "WITHDRAWL" Thats the word I was looking for...when i first attempted to go "cold turkey" with the treble knob, it sounded like someone was holding a frickin pillow in front of my tweeters. You just gotta let your ears adjust to the over-emphasis they've grown accustomed to. Thats why I did the slow method of (lets call it) "treble weening" LMAO! If you have some problems or need support call:

1-800-0DB-TREBL

You can speak to other audiophiles who have made the transition and lived to talk about it....
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I'm going to my first Treble Abusers Anonymous meeting tonight.

"Hello, my name is PolkThug and I've been abusing the treble control for 17 years."

:)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2004
    Options
    i guesss it depends on what you run for your front mains. and whether you are upping the treble for music or movies or both.

i think with a properly set up system.. you shouldn't need to adjust the treble at all. at least that's what i was always told.

mine are set to center.. big fat 0 that's with RT800i's as fronts.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • steveinaz
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Aha! I figured out why I had the addiction. See, most of you youngin's never had to endure 8-track tape and cassette reproduction (make that redestruction) of music....TREBLE KNOB REQUIRED. For those of us who came up in the early days of "true" hi-fi equipment (Late 60's, early 70's), the cassette deck was the source of the day, and of course the turntable. But most everyone put their new albums on cassette, and then listened constantly to the cassette. Cassettes mind you, a whopping 15khz on the high side under the best of circumstances; high quality tape, bias properly adjusted, record levels that were high enough to avoid bad S/N ratios, but low enough not to roll-off high frequencies, ect... Most of you were still shitting yourselves when i was de-magnetizing the heads on my Teac Z6000 cassette deck, trying to eek out every last kilohertz available. You snot-noses came up with true 20-20kHz source material AND equipment! Think about it, if you were born in 1970 or later, you most likely grew up on the Compact Disc.

Whew! I feel alot better now....
  • scottdawg
    scottdawg Posts: 166
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Dayum Russ, You sure can talk the talk, any walk to that.
    The only tone control I have is in my truck, my 19 y/o wont leave them alone either. Nada one in the house tho, Id prolly have to pick up a white chip.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    Hmmm, a few things being said that has caught my eye. ...

Running flat does not by any stretch of the imagination mean your not adding "color" to the sound. There is plenty of equipment that adds its own "color". So can be said for speakers and the rest of the gear that makes up a whole system. Tone controls often aid in smoothing out the playing field to keep things as natural *neutral?* as possible to compinsate for the equipments coloration..

this is true.. but when you "tweak" the sound more by upping or downing the bass or treble... it affects the sound even more.

once in a great while i'll up the treble while listening to a poorly recorded CD.. such as Tapestry by Carole King. Although the "album" was recorded in 1971, it did not trasfer well to compact disc. it's no ones fault.. a recording of that era is going to sound iffy at best.. think about the Beatles recording on 8 or even 4 tracks of tape? amazing they were able to do what they did with the help of George Martin.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by ATCVenom
    There is plenty of equipment that adds its own "color".
    An even bigger factor is the acoustics of the listening space...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD