how much dynamat?

Options
I want to dynamat the driver baskets in my 2.3TL's and also apply some dynamat to the dreadnaught. Can anyone tell me how many sheets of dynamat I should buy to do these projects?

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050

Comments

• PolkMaster1
    PolkMaster1 Posts: 847
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Start with a starter pack of either 2 or 4 sheets of Dynamat Extreme. 4 should be enough for both.

If you really want to start with 2 sheets, go to ebay to get it. Last I checked a couple of years ago, they do not sell two sheets.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • PolkMaster1
    Options
    While you are at it, you should use Black Hole 5 for your 2.3 TLs. I have some available.
    Statistics show that 98% of us will die at some point in our lifetime.

The other 2% will work for WalMart.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,795
    Options
    I buy the 4 sheet door kit, which will be way more than enough. You can use some the rest on things like your Oppo.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    Let us know your results and comments as this is one thing I have put off as I felt I didn't play them loud enough to notice a difference.
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    The Black Hole helps at moderate volumes too. Provides increased mid range and bass clarity IME.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,054
    Options
    Looks like I have some research to do on Black Hole 5. If I'm going to pull the drivers, I'd rather do it just once. Where is the material installed?

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, ADCOM GFA 7807 + 5400, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    I did not buy a single sliver of the stuff. I found out that the car resto shops use it to deadened trunk and door spaces. I found a place near me and asked if they used the stuff and they said yes and then I asked if they had scraps that they were going to throw out. They said yes go see how much you need and take it. I asked how much and they laughed and said take it and I gave them some coffee money for the day and we were both happy. A somewhat similar story w/BH-5 were I got a nice lead on C/L and bought 1 sheet and again saw pieces laying around and the guy said what you clean up is yours and I cleaned up both figuratively and quite literally. He used a band saw so all the pieces were cut clean and straight. I went old school w/ a phone book and found the audio place near me and the C/L ad also the next town over. Just think out of the box a bit and you can save a bunch of cash.If in Central Jersey IEI Electronics sells small sheets and is very expensive for a 4x sheet.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • PolkieMan
    PolkieMan Posts: 2,446
    Options
    Good ideas on getting it for free I will check my this small car stereo shop up the street
    POLK SDA 2.3 TLS BOUGHT NEW IN 1990, Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-198
    POLK CSI-A6 POLK MONITOR 70'S ONKYO TX NR-808 SONY CDP-333ES
    PIONEER PL-510A SONY BDP S5100
    POLK SDA 1C BOUGHT USED 2011,Gimpod/Sonic Caps/Mills RDO-194
    ONKYO HT RC-360 SONY BDP S590 TECHNICS SL BD-1
  • dpowell
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thought I would update with my results. My wife got me the 4 sheet door kit for Christmas. I have applied dynamat to all of the driver baskets and passive radiators in both 2.3TL speakers. In addition, I have applied dynamat to my dreadnaught and Oppo Blu Ray player. After all of this, I have 1.5 sheets plus a sandwich baggie full of scraps left over for other projects.

• dpowell
    Options
    I honestly just finished the second 2.3TL. I'll have to do some serious listening sessions to know what the results are. What I can tell you is that just doing a finger flick test on the driver baskets before and after was enough to tell me those baskets without dynamat could certainly develop a resonance at higher volumes.