simaudio dac

Options
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,722
    Options
    It sounds pretty damn good actually, I'd say this one leans more toward adding weight and impact to the sound than it does in retrieving that last bit of detail. If you've heard the last generation of Burson gear like the HA-160 I'd say this one sounds very similar.

The USB input on this model isn't very good, I believe it may be limited to certain resolutions but even on those rates it does support doesn't sound as good as the other inputs. If you're running from a computer plan on also picking up a separate USB to SPDIF converter...
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Haven't heard it myself but it is one of the dacs I was researching when hunting. USB input wasn't important to me as I don't use it anyway. It hasn't received that many good reviews and some actually flat out didn't like it at all. For the price though, it may not be all that bad as people say but the under 500 buck dac neighborhood is fairly crowded these days....especially used.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable