Lsi9 vs LSIM703

Options
fyrn
fyrn Posts: 146
edited October 2014 in Speakers
I'm sure this has already been discuss, but I was unable to find the post with the search engine. So if it has if someone can point me in the right direction we don't have to do this again.
If not here we go:
How does a stock LSI9 compare to a stock LSIM703, is it worth the upgrade? I currently have the 9's.
Post edited by fyrn on

Comments

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    So I have had them both stock and modded and in each case hands down the 703 is the winner... The question becomes like you said is it worth the upgrade? If you have the 9's and are wondering if upgrading is worth it, the best thing to do is hear them side by side and let your ears decide...
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    Options
    I have stock & modded lsi9s and stock & soon to be (in progress) modded lsim703s. I agree with Mikey, lsim703s over both stock and modded lsi9s. If you manage to pick up some 703s for comparison, give them some time for break in. I was initially disappointed moving from modded 9s to the 703s, but I noticed a significant improvement after having them in my system for a week or so, don't remember exactly how many hours I had on them.
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    Options
    I had the lsi9 and replaced them them with the 703's. The 703's are better sounding. I was thinking of modding the 703's and heard the cost is between $1100 and $1400 per pair. Anyone heard of this price. I think it was vr3 doing it.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    or you could buy $2000.00 speakers. :D
  • Mikey081057
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have VR3 modded 703's and Trey can give you a price.... It is well worth it and has my 703's performing way above their weight class. Expensive but HUGE bang for the buck top to bottom improvement. They sound better than many $3-$4K speakers i have heard.

You can buy a used pair of 703's and send them off to Trey and for less than $2K have a great pair of bookies that you might not be able to equal at that price point. That includes many floorstanders in that price range too. And oh yeah give them some nice power too! Tubes sound great on the 703's too.

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • fyrn
    Options
    I'm only referring to stock models. I'm not going to mod any of them.
    Has anybody compared them to a magnepan MMG
  • fyrn
    Options
    how does the sound stage compare?
    The 9's are pretty clear/detailed already, don't think I could tell one better
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,057
    Options
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/164251/lsi-m-703-midnight-mahogany#latest

You can thank me later.

I've owned the LSi7, 9, an 15. The 703 is better than all of them. I owned two pair of 703 until I finally found a pair of Usher 6311at a good price. Still own a pair and I can't imagine getting rid of them based on their application in my home.

To answer your question: wider soundstage and just an overall better sound.

Not sure what your driving them with, but the 703 are easier to drive than the 9's.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • cincycat13
    Options
    Yes, the 703s are easier to drive. I have stock 703s set up in the same room as modded LSi9s. I can only play one pair at a time and right now the 9s are winning. For some reason, when I turn up my DSOTM SACD...the 703s just seem like the bass is distorting. I will try one more time, but the bottom driver actually looks bad during the heartbeat start.

I really like the 703s as a whole and would take them over the stock 9s...but the modded 9s play really clean and seem to output almost as much low range as the 703s to my ears.

I would probably mod the 703s and try the best of both worlds, but Polk really made that cabinet a task to take apart to access the XO. Find a spot to try the 703s and you will probably be impressed enough to shop.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    Go for the 705's.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I spent some quality time with the LSIM703's at my home. I was a part of the demo program awhile back. I owned a full LSI home theater package and I had a pair of LSI9's.
    There is no comparison here, the 703's hands down are a better speaker in all ways. The LSI9 does nothing better anywhere. I suggest getting the 703's right now. They are that good.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Go for the 705's.

F1 raises a good point too... You need to consider that the 703's really aren't bookshelf speakers and after you put a nice set of stands under them you are effectively using the same floorspace that a floorstander like the 705 would take up.

• fyrn
    Options
    Only one minor difference, twice the price. Unless I can no longer buy a VERY nice sub for less than $1500....... or am I missing something else
  • F1nut
    Options
    or am I missing something else

The 705's simply sound better.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    I haven't heard the 705's but would like to. If they sound better then the 703's they gotta be pretty remarkable.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • fyrn
    Options
    twice as much better..........considering the price
  • fyrn
    Options
    I still think that with a good sub you can come out better (would go even lower). Considering that the top end is the same.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I found the 703 high end disconnected from the rest. Tried them twice here in the office rig and the big rig, same issue. I didn't hear that issue with the 705's.

President of Club Polk

• fyrn
    Options
    Did you notice that with several 703 or just the pair you had. Could it have been defective?
  • dhart86
    dhart86 Posts: 1,594
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    or am I missing something else

The 705's simply sound better.

I agree with Jesse (F1 nut). I have had the Lsi 7 and 9's. Also had the 703's. Now have the 705's.

The 703's were definately better than the Lsi 9's all day. BUT, I would recomend the 705's. They are much more balanced speaker tonally. Beautiful sound top to bottom. And Like Mikey said you'll need good stand for the 703's and the footprint would be the same. The 705's just sound better
    Main Rig:
    Antipodes DX > Roon > PS Audio Directstream Jr.>deHavilland Ultraverve 3 >Belles Reference 150a >Harbeth C7 ES3

Second Rig:
    Roon> PS Audio Directstream Jr Bridge II > EE Minimax pre (Tutay mods) >Belles 150A Ref >Monitor 5 (Westmassguy-modded)

• fyrn
    Options
    the 705's would be nice, but out of my budget. So it would have to be the 703 or wait for something else. Maybe a paradigm studio 20
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,057
    Options
    fyrn wrote: »
    How does a stock LSI9 compare to a stock LSIM703, is it worth the upgrade?

703 is better in every way IMO...and I really like the 9's.

Buy the one's I linked earlier then sell your 9's and you're out $300-400. No brainer if you've got the money.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • cincycat13
    Options
    I agree with DSkip that I would not put tons of money to the $2k point into either of the models being considered. I purchased a set of LSi9s on close-out cheap and modded out of the box for a couple of hundred added. I bought a used stock set of LSi9s cheapish and listed to stock for a while to compare. I ultimately decided to mod the second set. While sale parts were on order, I picked up a pair of the LSiM 703 at fire sale price.

I then put the 703 in place of the stock 9. The soundstage was wider, bass was fuller, and off axis listening position was less sensitive to movement. These were not methodically done, but I preferred the stock LSIM series to the stock LSi.

I already had the Clarity ESA parts on order so I ultimately modded the second set of LSi9s as I had planned to do. I have not decided which to keep ... or maybe just rotate...but for now the LSi modded pair is winning.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    Options
    sgtmick63 wrote: »
    I had the lsi9 and replaced them them with the 703's. The 703's are better sounding. I was thinking of modding the 703's and heard the cost is between $1100 and $1400 per pair. Anyone heard of this price. I think it was vr3 doing it.

Buying a $1100 pair of speakers and spending more than their value on modding? Nah, that price ($1100-1400) BETTER include the price of the speakers!
  • Mikey081057
    Options
    I bought my 703's at the famous Friends and Family sale of summer '13 and had them modded by VR3 shortly after. I have less than $2K including stands and cables in mine and have not heard anything that compares for the $$$. There are lots of 703's available for $1100/p new. There are many used also for less... You don't NEED to mod them to get a great pair of speakers but if you do they will be hard to beat bang for the buck...

• fyrn
    Options
    I agree, I'm would not mod them. If the speaker is not good enough stock then maybe it time to look at something else. You can always improve something...... that's a never ending race.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited October 2014
    Options
    on old vintage speakers the caps in the crossovers probably need redone anyways, and putting in bigger and better ones and redoing the crossovers is so worth it. since having Dave do my crossovers in my Monitor 10's they are not for sale ever :) I will have those for a long time! I my someday replace my RTiA7's with some 705's or maybe I will just have my A7's crossovers redone instead!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • blehmbo
    blehmbo Posts: 179
    Options
    eh, if you're really interested you should find a way to listen to a pair. buy that used pair that PSOVLSK linked, if it's still available, you can always resell it if you aren't happy with little to no financial loss.

The only way to know if it's really for you is to listen.
  • fyrn
    Options
    thanks for all the input
  • sheremey
    Options
    Hello all,

I was comparing the Lsi9 and Lsim703 in my 2 rooms, with 3 amps and 2 sets of wires for the last 8 months (really). Result? I am deadly confused... I wish everything will be simple and I just stick to newer and better model (everyone agrees, right?) Still, my ears tell me something else. LsiM703 are way more transparent, have way tighter bass, have impressive integrity of all the drivers (I hear very smooth transition and very 'holistic" sound picture)... Still (warning: the craziness comes here!) I don't really WANT to listen to them!!! While Lsi9 sound quite dull in comparison, in a room (the sound dies quickly and is very fragile and easily killable by bad room acoustics), I DO want to immerse in it's sound with my ears up close, I want to dive into that sound, to use Lsi9's as a "huge headphones"... With LsiM703, getting closer to its drivers just kills my ears, it makes them almost bleed... I can see, extrapolate an improvement by X-over upgrade of Lsi9's but I don't really want to do anything with LsiM703's. Please tell me I m crazy. I must have very narrow range of acceptance (stock Lsi9 are too dull, stock Lsim703 are too bright already). Could anyone make sense of my insane observations?