RTA-15TL Recap

This was a fun little project. One of the Hi-Pass, 5 Watt Resistors had burned, and taken out the 12uf Electrolytic Cap on one side, and partially melted the plastic spool end on the Inductor. The Inductor's DCR and MH values were checked, and luckily the coil winding was not damaged. Clarity PX Caps, and Mills MRA-12 Resistors were chosen. Due to their enormous size, the layout and smaller size of the late model Circuit Boards, I had to relocate two of the Capacitors to the bottom of the board. The existing standoffs were drilled, tapped, and nylon riser extensions installed. Due to the small size of the boards, nylon wire ties would have been difficult if not impossible to install. Although I despise hot glue, I really had no choice. The original Crossovers were slathered with Hot Glue. I removed as much as possible mechanically, and with Acetone, installed all the new components using 3M VHB tape, and finished them off with as neat a bead of hot glue as possible. The coils were re-glued with Hot Glue, and made a bit more presentable.
0v01nm18ayuz.jpg

xeu4nm3cvopu.jpg
9vtyg1d9c43m.jpg

They sound quite a bit better now.
Home Theater/2 Channel:
Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/

Comments