Is there a equivalent to the R50's?

Options
up_for_life
up_for_life Posts: 7
edited August 2014 in Speakers
I was wondering if there was another current model that's the same as the R50's,
I have the M50 II's as well, these are nowhere near as good sounding as the R50's.
Is there a model that is the same or should i just get another pair of R50's?
I also have a pair of RT8's and 5Jr's. the 5Jr's sound just like the M50 II's. i dont use these much.
Thanks in advance.
Post edited by up_for_life on

Comments

• up_for_life
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Heres a couple pics.

Never mind, doesn't want to work. wont let me upload any pic's.

Thanks anyway, i am just going to get another pair of R50's. newegg has them pretty cheap.
    Now if i can pawn these crappy M50's off on someone.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Welcome to Club Polk!

Those speakers, as you know, are discontinued. They would be considered down a model from something like a set of M-60s.

You might want to look into the newer entry level TSx330T. Which are updates of the M-50s with larger drivers, but I suspect that what you like is the R-50 tweeter which is actually a lower resolution and even inferior tweeter to these other speakers. You might just like the rolled off high end? Because the Monitor 5Jrs. and Rt-8s are superior speakers, IMO.

The other problem you may be having with vintage Polk is the SL-2000 tweeter (the plastic SILVER dome has some harshness up top that "many" do not like. Polk sells a fabric replacement for those that takes that away and makes them sound much better; the RD-0194 tweeter--you can purchase these from Polk, they are drop-in replacements). Do your speakers have that silver dome or a different tweeter?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • up_for_life
    edited August 2014
    Options
    More polk 005 - Copy.JPG
    New speaks 005 - Copy (2).JPG

The RT8's and 5Jr's are the first pic.
    The M50's (far left) the R50's (middle) are in the second pic.

Hello CNH,

The Monitor II's (5Jr's) i have are the ones with the black clothe/silk tweeters.
    The Monitor 50 II's are new from Polk, not the refurbs.
    The M50's just plain sound bad. the bass sounds like someone is kicking a cardboard box, and the mids are way to pronounced.
    The 5J'rs are to mid heavy as well.

The RT8's are not to bad, the bass is very weak, but i have powered subs for that anyway.

The R50's just sound good all the way around. good clean deep bass and the highs are pretty clean.

If the picture uploader would work, i would post a couple pic.

Edit,
    Looks like i could get a couple pic's loaded.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,552
    edited August 2014
    Options
    You sure your talking about the R50's? I bought mine from Frys for like 50 bucks a pop. They are the bottom of Polks line, below even the Monitors. If you really liked em, look for the M series (not monitor).

Not my cup of tea, but if they float your boat then cool.

Here are the models in that line currently: http://www.polkaudio.com/products/series/rtm
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • up_for_life
    edited August 2014
    Options
    These are the R50's i have http://www.polkaudio.com/products/r50

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=Polk+R50&N=-1&isNodeId=1

These R50's are way better sounding than the M50 II's i have setting next to them.

These are the monitor 50's i have http://www.polkaudio.com/products/monitor50II

I was looking at the M55t's, but i have a feeling they sound like the M50 II's i have.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Meh, R series are some of the worst speakers Polk ever made. The Monitor 70s are regarded as the place to enter Polk's lineup. If you want better look at the TSx line and then on up from there. The RT series can be had for pretty cheap since it's older and will blow away the R series easily.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • up_for_life
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The M50's i have, have only about 25 hours through them as of now. i have only had them a week and as of now, i don't like their sound.
    Not sure the R50's fall into the junk pile, the ones i have sound pretty darn good.
    I have pushed the R50's with a pair of 1960's DIY 200w mono block's, took every song i threw at them.
  • nguyendot
    nguyendot Posts: 3,594
    edited August 2014
    Options
    As we say, go with whatever sounds good to you. If the R50s are up your alley, your prerogative.

There are many speakers up from them, so you have nowhere to go but up.
    Main Surround -
    Epson 8350 Projector/ Elite Screens 120" / Pioneer Elite SC-35 / Sunfire Signature / Focal Chorus 716s / Focal Chorus CC / Polk MC80 / Polk PSW150 sub

Bedroom - Sharp Aquos 70" 650 / Pioneer SC-1222k / Polk RT-55 / Polk CS-250

Den - Rotel RSP-1068 / Threshold CAS-2 / Boston VR-M60 / BDP-05FD
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited August 2014
    Options
    My mistake on the RT-8s, I was thinking of RTA-8s (TL) which are larger.

The R-50s probably do put out more bass than M-50s, bigger cabs, bigger drivers! It is also true that some people seem to like those R-50s better, there is some subjectivity involved here. And that is a different tweeter.

I'd say listen to the new series I mention above, or maybe some Rti-A5 towers? But it looks like you really like the R-50s. I would imagine one could find another set "used" somewhere.

If you haven't redone the crossovers on the Monitor 5jrs. that would certainly present some of the problems you describe with their sound. As far as your RT8s, I can't say I've ever heard those?

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,508
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Interesting.. I owned a pair of R-30's & they had tons of bass but lacked everywhere else.. The R-50's im sure they are much better especially with more power. I ended up sending the R-30 & R-10's down the road because they (r-30's) sounded terrible on 2 channel music listening BUT great on HT with the 110wpc Yamaha RXV1 AVR & i knew they wouldnt take the Denon POA the way i wanted it. Im sure the R-50's sound much better....I recently bought the Monitor 40's & they sound very nice with the 1 hour listening i did with them. Very clean/clear & tweets sound very good to my ears. Lacking bass to some, BUT, to me they sounded pretty good. I added a non powered Cambridge subwoofer & it added a bit more bass to them. Nothing a powered sub wouldnt fix.. The 50's may not be your thing. Id try to let them break in a bit & with a good sub that will make a BIG difference
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,138
    edited August 2014
    Options
    The M50's i have, have only about 25 hours through them as of now. i have only had them a week and as of now, i don't like their sound.
    Not sure the R50's fall into the junk pile, the ones i have sound pretty darn good.
    I have pushed the R50's with a pair of 1960's DIY 200w mono block's, took every song i threw at them.

I'd be willing to bet most people haven't heard a pair of R50's with good power behind them. Being an entry level speaker, they are probably most often run on an AVR. That's how I ran mine until...

I hooked them up to an Adcom 545. Not the best amp ever, but a step up over my AVR. I couldn't believe the difference the amp made. I always thought the R50's were sort of "meh," but with power behind them they are a hidden gem IMO.

All that being said, I can't help you what is an equivalent speaker. I'd just scour Craigslist and find a pair of used R50's if you like the sound.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • up_for_life
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the replies,

Yeah, i'll let the M50's break in a little longer before i just totally go off the deep in LoL.

I run the R50's and the M50's off a Yamaha R-V1103, the big speakers you see are now running off the mono blocks.
    I do listen pretty much only in two channel, this receiver does it pretty well.

The 5Jr's and RT8's are ran off a Yamaha R-V703, this too is basically a two channel set-up. i do however from time to time watch movies in 5.1.

Boston1450,
    I do run two powered subs, so i am not really needing bass from the M50's, i just don't need all the mid's coming from them either.
    The mid's coming out of the M50's are louder/more over powering than the mids coming from the R50's and the big American Acoustics put together.
    The AA's run duel 12'' MTX bass drivers, a 6 1/2'' MTX mid and a 1'' peerless tweeter.

CNH,
    I'll see if i can have a listen around this weekend at a few other models. i work 60hr's a week, i find it hard to get the time to get out a look around.
    So i look through forums like this one to see what people are liking, that's why i bought the M50's with out even hearing them first.

I have been trying for about a month to find another pair of R50's locally, new or used. seems i either have the only pair in Michigan, or people like them too and don't want to part with them.

I can get a new pair R50's (i think new), probably refurbs though, through newegg at a really good price.
    I'll search/wait another month for another pair of R50's locally, if i can't find any, i'll probably just get a pair from newegg.
    In the meantime, i will try and find a store or two here that i can listen to some of the upper Polk lines.

Again, i do thank you guys for your replies. i'll keep bugging you folks for suggestions from time to time and if interested, i'll keep you posted on my next pair of Polks.

I like the brand, just not liking every line.
  • up_for_life
    edited August 2014
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet most people haven't heard a pair of R50's with good power behind them. Being an entry level speaker, they are probably most often run on an AVR. That's how I ran mine until...

I hooked them up to an Adcom 545. Not the best amp ever, but a step up over my AVR. I couldn't believe the difference the amp made. I always thought the R50's were sort of "meh," but with power behind them they are a hidden gem IMO.

All that being said, I can't help you what is an equivalent speaker. I'd just scour Craigslist and find a pair of used R50's if you like the sound.

I believe these R50's are the cleaner sounding of all the Polk's i have. even with them hooked up to the R-V1103.
    They do have more life with more power for sure. i am thinking after about 30 more hours on the M50's, i'll push them with the mono blocks just to see if they wake up.
    Now, if this doesn't help? i guess i'll just have to try a sell them.
  • billbill
    billbill Posts: 7
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree with up_for_life . The R50's sound terrific. Good bass, good highs, good mids, clear and loud. You can pick them up from:

-Best Buy Market Place for $139 each
    (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/polk-audio-r50-two-way-floorstanding-speaker-single-black/1310057425.p?id=mp1310057425&skuId=1310057425)

-Amazon for $139 each(http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007BGSP/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=QBXL6DGGFPTY&coliid=I78LPMR1DLHOK)

-PC Richards FOR $99 EACH!!
    (http://www.pcrichard.com/Polk/Polk-2-Way-Floor-Standing-Speaker/R50.pcrp)
    I bought mine on sale for $89 each which they run from time to time.

All 3 sell them with free shipping.

I don't know why these speakers don't get more recognition (maybe because they are discontinued). In my opinion, they are the best budget speaker I have ever heard for this price. I own some BICs for my secondary system and these sound much better.

I use 3 R50's as mains (because none of the center channels I tried could keep up with them, so I bought a third to use as a center channel) along with a PSW505 sub and M20's as surrounds. Yes, discontinued models but along with my high powered Onkyo receiver, I was able to build a kick **** system for under a $1,000. Visitors are amazed how good it sounds. Yes, it won't match high dollar systems but I have no desire to spend that kind of money. For the money I spent, I am more than satisfied.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,508
    edited February 2015
    Options
    ^^^^ glad you are happy. Those R series speakers are wife friendly too :) Welcome to Polk
  • philbiker
    philbiker Posts: 1
    edited November 2016
    Options
    First post....

I picked up a pair of R50s at a thrift store over the weekend for $50. They were very dirty, and one of them has a pretty bad gash in the wood, but it's hidden by the speaker grille. They are a replacement for Sony SS-U542AV early 90s towers that sounded pretty good. They cleaned up nicely and look attractive now.

So far I'm very impressed with the R50s! They have more bass than I expected, and the high end is smoother than it was on my Sony speakers. I am powering them with a Marantz SR4120 receiver.

These are the first Polk Audio speakers I've owned.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    Philbiker... uh oh... welcome to the rabbit hole.
    Now that you've started you may not be able to quit.
    They may be the first, but I'm fairly certain they won't be hour last.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    I started with the R30's in '04 & I remember that the R30's revealed details in music I'd not heard before from my JBL G300's. I moved up to the R50's shortly thereafter but I eventually moved down to the R15's w/ a CSi25 center with an SVS 20-39 PCi sub. That HT set up was very good; I never had any complaints & people who heard that setup were very surprised at how good it was.

I did like the R30's & R50's for music but I got rid of them to try the vintage Polk speakers I'd heard so many good things about on this forum. After several different vintage sets of went through here, I got rid of them to explore other brands.

I tried out the RTi6 speakers and they sounded flabby in the bottom end and a little too bright / forward in the high end. Decent speakers for HT but not for music. Eventually, they moved on as well and, for the first time in a very long time, I am completely Polk free. It's not good or bad, it just is the way it is.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10