Polk 7 B on Ebay right now

Options
Pastor Bill
Pastor Bill Posts: 130
edited July 2014 in Vintage Speakers
Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

NAD 7140, Fried Model Qs, Pioneer PD-4700
Post edited by Pastor Bill on

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited July 2014
    Options
    That's a overpriced IMO. I paid a little more than that for my RTA-12B's...

That's the exact pair I would like to try as a center channel in place of my Monitor 5's though.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Very overpriced. You can get SDA's for $200.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,168
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I agree that they are overpriced.

I spent months last year finding a buyer for my Polk 7Bs (with peerless tweeter) and mine were priced at only $120.
  • cnh
    cnh Posts: 13,284
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I agree. A bit too high. But they do have the Peerless, which is a plus.

BTW, Pastor Bill, I picked up some Fried Q2s the other day so I can now do a side by side comparison with the Monitor 7s. The 7s are a larger speaker. The Q2s have a transmission line like cabinet with a 2 1/2 inch square by 10"+ foam vent plug on their bottom (a little like the Dynacos) which can actually be used to tune the bass (denser or less dense foam, or no foam at all). They're a nice speaker, but definitely MORE forward than Monitor 7s.

I'm still experimenting with them. They are interesting; they have very "fast" bass (faster than Monitors) but they are brighter with most of my amps, and I'm a "warm" guy, so I really have to give the nod, so far, to the Polks.

Nonetheless I can understand why some might like this speaker with its tighter and somewhat less pronounced bass a little better and, perhaps, more detailed top end of its tweeter? You need to get your older "ears" back on some 7s, IMO.

Happy hunting!

cnh
    Currently orbiting Bowie's Blackstar.!

Polk Lsi-7s, Def Tech 8" sub, HK 3490, HK HD 990 (CDP/DAC), AKG Q701s
    [sig. changed on a monthly basis as I rotate in and out of my stash]
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Maybe Pastor Bill would like a pair of Klipsch or JBL's if that's the case?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Have seen JBL 2500s but have not heard them. Any Klipsch that I have heard has been very pleasing initially...but after listening for a while, they seem to be a bit "brighter" or more "strident" than I would like.

cnh - would love to "re-audition some 7s, to see if my aging ears and more mature tastes have changed my opinion of them.

I have a "deal" pending with a fellow that has offered to part out his Qs...if I can secure that, I'll rebuild to original (as close as possible) the one speaker that I had to have repaired. Still looking, though. :-)
    Jesus said "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes to the Father but through Me." - John 14:6

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Pastor Bill, those are way overpriced. I paid $100.00 for a near mint pair of Monitor 7s, original owner, and original Polk Stands, 35 miles from me: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?159345-Looky-what-followed-me-home

cnh......interesting that you find the bass "faster" than the Monitors. The 6.5" Polk drivers are very fast, and fluid coupled to the PR.
    Have you checked for airtightness on your 7s?
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Mystery
    Mystery Posts: 2,546
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I sold my recapped peerless 7's for $125.

Klipsch RB81, KG3.5, B&W DM602.5, Polk.
    Subwoofers: Klipsch RW10, Triad ProSub Bronze.
  • cnh
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Pastor Bill, those are way overpriced. I paid $100.00 for a near mint pair of Monitor 7s, original owner, and original Polk Stands, 35 miles from me: http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?159345-Looky-what-followed-me-home

cnh......interesting that you find the bass "faster" than the Monitors. The 6.5" Polk drivers are very fast, and fluid coupled to the PR.
    Have you checked for airtightness on your 7s?

I'm not saying that the M 7s don't have tight bass but that the Frieds are a little tighter. Bud Fried was, evidently, a "master" when it came to this quasi transmission line tuning and the 8" bass driver in the Frieds seems to have a lighter mass polycone?

I don't have a decent camera so here's a stock pic of the Q3s (I believe a newer model after the 2s but it looks pretty much the same). Not a big cab...about 20" X 10 1/2" x 8 1/2" so much smaller than the M-7s and lighter but the bass is rounding through the top and coming down a tunnel to that foam vent so it puts out more bass than you'd expect, but a very tight and controlled bass. Nothing sloppy.

Oh, on JBL 2X00 series. If you want bass don't go smaller than the 2600. And you'd probably be best off with the 2800 (8" two way). But watch out for their Titanium domes, they fail at a very HIGH rate!

cnh

• cnh
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Pastor Bill,

Here is the LINK for the foam you can use to replace the original. Seems to be ACE A/C foam you can get at the hardware store. Open cell.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1301198

cnh

• Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Interesting...without seeing the Q2s, I've noted some differences.
    My cabinet is a walnut finish.
    The woofer on mine uses a butyl surround and a paper cone impregnated with some type of polymer. (I "think.")
    The foam in my bass port appears to be lighter duty and folded over. It is deteriorating and will soon need replacement.
    My tweeter appears to be domed units without the metal grill.
    Grill covers on mine are long ago gone...I don't think they even had a frame or attachment hardware. They were a friction fit if I remember.

Thanks for posting this, cnh!

• cnh
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Qs were available in Walnut, this is the black version.

The earliest models may have used a doped paper cone. Fried sourced drivers from a variety of manufacturers over the course.

This is a pretty standard foam plug for these speakers. Most have this kind in them. Fried, himself, suggested that owners "play" around with the foam plugs and even run them without the foam depending on one's room, etc.

Domed units on most Qs I've seen almost always have a grill? What's important is what's under the grill, the tweeter has a very "distinctive" surface and can easily be distinguished as original.

Not sure on later models, because some A-s also look like Qs. I know from mhardy's post and some googling that Fried did start to use some KEF drivers later on.

Unfortunately, there is NOT a lot of info on these on the net.

Actually, the bass sounds fuller now that I've actually replaced the old foam with the material I link above, which also makes them a tad less forward--which, IMO, is a GOOD thing!

cnh

• Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    cnh:

I'll follow your experiments and postings with more than a little interest.

Bill

• JerryR1verz
    JerryR1verz Posts: 76
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I got my 7b's out of Virginia and paid $90.... My brother in law picked them up then had to wait for the next vaca to the east coast to get them home.
    Polk Monitor 10
    Polk Monitor 7
  • Pastor Bill
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Howdy all:
    (and especially directed toward cnh)

Things have just become interesting. Managed to purchase two FriedModel Q3 woofers (newly refoamed) to replace/match in my Fried Model Qs first offering. Hopefully, everything will fit and that original "sound" I appreciated will return. I'll also play with replacing/tweaking the foam in the transmission line port. I "could" have purchased a pair of 5jr+ plus for the same money...with the addition of a 3 plus hour round trip. Sentimental value and the urge to tinker, I guess. Will post again following the install...good, bad or indifferent.