I can't notice the sda effect, am I crazy?

Options
2»

Comments

• westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    He's got SDA-1s with horizontal tweeters, but you're advice applies. Red + on the left.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • Rex81
    Rex81 Posts: 193
    Options
    Do you have someone that can plug and unplug the interconnect while you're sitting in listening position? If so, have them do that while you're listening to a track that Polk or others have said offers a big effect. How about Sympathy for the Devil? Everybody's got that track, right? If you hear any difference at all, your wiring is good. You just need to get the speakers in optimum position, most importantly 3 feet of empty space on the outside of each speaker. If you can't hear a difference when they unplug, you'll have more investigating to do.
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    this has been a helpful thread. I feel confident that mine are working as designed, but now I can check and verify this. It is past time for me to learn all I can about these. I knew a good bit, but the devil is in all the small details. This forum rocks.
  • hytekrednek
    Options
    thanks for the link!
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,484
    Options
    I disconnected the dimensional tweeters on my 1As and the results are much better. If you have external fuses just pull the dimensional fuses and give it a try.

The battery test is a great way to confirm polarity.

I have a 24" deep counter between my speakers and if I move them back so the front of the speaker is behind the counter the image collapses.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,092
    Options
    Most stuff has been covered but I will add this. If your couch, chair or whatever you are listening from is against a wall the SDA properties will be diminished. In my set up I have no choice but to put the couch against a wall opposite the SDA's. I still get a great SDA experience but just sitting up on the edge of my couch completely changes and enhances the experience.

Maximizing SDA involves proper placement, proper gear and proper listening position. However, even if the above aren't the best you should notice the SDA properties in most recordings. The more of the above you get dialed in, the better the listening experience.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!