The brand you're most loyal to

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited February 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Just wondering what brand you really love and will continue to buy especially for 2ch. This could be for source, pre, amp, int, etc.

I know Troy, Russ and GG have a Carver fetish.

Here's mine...
Source: NAD
Pre(SS): NAD for horns and Rotel for Polks. I'm willing to try other brands too though.
Pre(tube): Not sure yet because the ASL is my first tube pre
Amp(SS): NAD. I love this amp. No problem at all driving any of my speakers.
Amp(Tube): Dynaco. My favorite amp.
Speakers: Polk and Klipsch

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    NAD, Parasound and Sony ES.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2004
    Options
    No Carver fetish, it just happens to 'fit' what I want.

The only thing I'm loyal to is my wife, mother, and close personal friends.

Everything else, I have my price.

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2004
    Options
    There are few brands that I'm loyal to. Many more that I dismiss for any given component. I love my Dynaco tube amp, but could do much better than their SS amps and preamps I have. I like my Sony CD player, but would probably not seek out any of their other components.

Then again money is always a factor for me. I'll take a deal for something I don't need over an invested improvement anyday. Probably my loss in some ways, but in many ways it works best for me.

With that said, the only brands I actively seek are Mullard, Sylvania, GE/Westinghouse, and Realistic. Again, it's not like I'm looking for a Realistic preamp.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2004
    Options
    I dunno, for me in terms of amps, Carver fits my needs. Sound good, gobs of power at a price I can afford. If I found another brand that fit that bill, I doubt that I would have much trouble switching. I like Carver preamps for the same reason however, my Conrad Johnson preamp, I like even better.

Speakers? Simple, with a 500 dollar budget, find me a better speaker than the Carver Amazing. If I find a better pair, I might consider ditching the Amazings.

Polk, I do have soft spot for Polk. I love thier products but the people, guys like Micah and Ken and the folks here on the forum will keep me buying Polk.

The thing with Carver and Polk is that both represent incredible bang for your buck. There are those that scoff at that notion, those folks usually are salesmen or people with a credit card with the balance that is equal to the GNP of some small countries. Personally, I don't feel the need to strap financially so I can name drop or impress others. I sleep well at night and am proud that I've paid cash for all of my gear and while it may not impress others, I think my rigs sound pretty darn good.

BDT

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ninerbj
    ninerbj Posts: 870
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Freeto-Lay
    K-Y
    Molson Canadian
    Polk
    "she had the body of Venus, with arms."
  • setzer808
    setzer808 Posts: 173
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Receivers: Yamaha
    Speakers: Polk

Others...depends on the product and price.
    Polk CS245i Center
    Polk RT55i Mains
    Polk RT25i Rears
    Polk PSW-350 Sub -in storage.
    Yamaha RX-V681 A/V Reciever
    Sony SCD-CE595 SACD Player
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,460
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Brands I would likely stay with -

Number one on the list has to be B&K Components Ltd. Why? I love the sound and it's built very well (I'm no expert though, granted). Last, but definitely not least, it's the nicest equipment I can afford that's U.S. made!:D

I used to be an avid Onkyo fan but lately I might change my tune. Since they've obviously left the 2 channel crowd for the surround crowd seems to me they have changed quite a bit. Quality, IMHO, isn't as good as it used to be (made in Japan, in other words). But..., you have to make what sells for you I suppose. The days of nice 2 channel rigs from Onkyo might be days gone by....

Polk of course!! I can say the both pairs I have still blow me away with their wonderful sound. 5B's, courtesy of Soupbone, and RTA-8t's. Speakers this old shouldn't sound this good, but they do!! I love the older stuff..
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Sunfire
    Carver
    Polk
    Denon

I guess they suit me, but I'm always up for trying something new. My momma used to tell me that you can't say you don't like it until after you've tried it twice....
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Henry Kloss
    Lucky Strikes
    Goslings Black Seal Rum
    Wise potato chips (the industry standard)
    Otis Elevators
    Boeing airplanes

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    I know Troy, Russ and GG have a Carver fetish.
    When it comes to power amps, I resemble that remark... I've followed Bob from PL through to Sunfire. The only other amps that I openly lust after are vintage McIntosh...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2004
    Options
    the brand i'm most loyal to is the one with the most bang for the buck!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Man, those other guys were still into Fisher-Price equipment when I bought my first Carver amps.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Hitachi
    Onkyo
    Polk
    BMW
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Sony CDPs. I've owned several and have NEVER had one give me any problems!

Ford Mustangs. I currently own three. Here is my next one...the new 2005 GT...

138_0404_05stang_1b_z.jpg

138_0404_05stang_2a_z.jpg
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Trojan:D

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited February 2004
    Options
    None.

I've only bought Polk Audio speakers because they perform well and are a quality component. Beyond that, I'll get what I like...or what George has up for sale!
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited February 2004
    Options
    That new mustang is pretty badace. It may just have to be a graduation gift from me to me. I generally have not liked the recent mustangs, some of which is jealousy, but I am totally into the new styling.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,040
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Everyone, come on, say it wit me now!

ADCOM!

and *points to crowd*

POLK!

All together now!

ADCOM AND POLK! ADCOM AND POLK! :D

The new mustang is killer man...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Turbota
    Turbota Posts: 255
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Brand Loyal:

CORVETTE
    153_0401_c6_launch_3_z.jpg

SIKORSKY
    bl_hawk2.jpg

vintage PIONEER silver
    Copy_of_Pioneer_Amps_1.JPG

Onkyo ... C-7030 . _.CD Player
    Polk . . *. RTi A7 - ....Front Speakers
    Polk . . *. RTi A3 - ....Rear Speakers
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Hienz KETCHUP

Jif Peanut Butter

Tide detergent

Dawn Dishsoap

Turtlewax

Charmin

Kraft Mac & Cheese

And Polks!:D
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Coast soap

Skippy Peanut butter( I'm a die hard fan)

Nissan.....2 of them with 0 problems winner there(Maxima,Xterra)

Woverine boots

Levi Jeans

Sony TV's

Polk audio

Kimber Kable

Salamander

Pioneer Elite

Crest toothpaste

Hershey

Home Theater Mag

for 2 channel none other then Dynaudio,Krell,Kimber,Mark Levinston,Transparent,REL
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Mark Levinston? Is he the Billy Carter to Mark Levinson? :D
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Levinson isn't even Mark anymore, he sold out, and sold his name some time ago. It's just another label.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • PolkThug
    edited February 2004
    Options
    If they make the Mustang with 300+ hp, I might have to trade in the Bimmer. I've owned some mustangs before.

memories... my first v-8....

302 w/
    351 Heads
    Crane cam
    Edelbrock intake
    Holley carb
    4-speed
  • shack
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    If they make the Mustang with 300+ hp, I might have to trade in the Bimmer.
    The GT will have a 4.6L 90-Degree Aluminum Block V-8. Aluminum Heads, SOHC, 3 valves per cylinder. 9.8:1 compression ratio, 300 hp (SAE) @ 6,000 rpm, 315 ft-lb torque (SAE) @ 4,500 rpm. Estimated 0-60 MPH is around 5.5 seconds. GT MSRP will probably be around $25K.

mustangside345.jpg

Yes sir...I may wait a few months to let any bugs get worked out of the production line...But one of these is going to be in my garage before Y/E 2005!

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Front end is kinda a cross between a '68 Stang (my favorite) and late model 325i...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • shack
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Most of the retro styling is based on the 67-68 year models (both exterior and interior) with a few cues from the 69. A large factor in the BMW look comes from moving the front wheels forward about 4 inches from previous models.

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited February 2004
    Options
    To be loyal to a brand, don't you sorta have to own it ir have owned it?

If not:

JMLab (Utopias), Halcron dm58's, CJ ART II Preamp's.....allday allabout.

I can walk you through the door but I can't make you read the flavor of the month chart. :rolleyes:

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Isn't that a matter of opnion?

Brand names that are proven to you.

I can't afford some of the brands that proved themselves.....Like Krell and Levinston but If I where to build a killer 2 channel system,they would be the brands I would buy.I worked with those brands.

Take the flavor and the door and cram it up you ****.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • PolkThug
    edited February 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by shack
    GT MSRP will probably be around $25K.

Any talk of a Cobra edition? I wouldn't mind paying a little more to get into the 325+ hp range. Arghhh, startin to get the fever again, its been a long time since I punched the gas and the front wheel came off the ground.