Paying attention ?

13»

Comments

• Polkie2009
    Polkie2009 Posts: 3,834
    edited April 2014
    Texas isn't going to put up with these bullies and neither will the great state of Oklahoma.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    edited April 2014
    You are correct Tony. I was just curious what was funny there. All the truly great comedians and humorists found their material by looking at the simple truths of the human condition and finding a way to skewer it, thus finding the humor in even a bad situation. Sam Kinison, arguably the funniest guy of the past 50 years, could even find a way to get a laugh out of world hunger.

Cows at the Empire State Building(which is privately owned) being greeted by the feds is simply not possible, therefore no truth, and thus not funny.

The situation in Texas is yet another example of the absurd.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited April 2014
    Polkie2009 wrote: »
    Texas isn't going to put up with these bullies and neither will the great state of Oklahoma.

and Arizona will be there to support both. Conservation...I get it, I like it; but like anything, it needs to be done in moderation. When any special interest group gets too much power, things always go south. My father-in-law (a cattle rancher and forestry guy) constantly talks about how the "government" doesn't have the first clue when it comes to land clearing, falling timber, which ones to bring down, etc; and/or land management. I can certainly sympathize, being a gubment employee and seeing the rampant incompetence that i see displayed every day of the week.

Government upper-middle management likes to participate in what I call "empire building." They are envious, because they are not one of the "big fish" so they go about their day creating false "missions" to slowly build their little empire, so they too can be a big fish. It has nothing to do with actual "need" or mission, it's all about ego and politics. You see the same things with environmentalist, EPA, and BLM. Create a false need, thereby getting large budget increases, and whamo! Ego-boy has that solid oak office furniture he's always wanted. I **** you not.

If you folk's had even a clue of the amount of money that is wasted just in my little miniscule portion of the fed, it's hard to even fathom the hundreds of Billions that get wasted DoD wide. The sad part of it is, much of the wasted funding is used **** you, the taxpayer, over. If you're gonna screw me, you can at least kiss me on the lips.

Keep in mind, and I'm being completely honest; The dept of defense is at least a very worthy funding recepient (National Defense)---far more so than many of these other bogus agencies.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,945
    edited April 2014
    Well put Steve and also on the mark. How many times do you hear them say..."We simply can't cut anymore". Makes me cringe.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,230
    edited April 2014
    tonyb wrote: »
    Well put Steve and also on the mark. How many times do you hear them say..."We simply can't cut anymore". Makes me cringe.

There is show much rhetoric and BS spending it will make your head spin.

A buddy of mine's wife was hired to fill a chair, and yes she did nothing but literally fill a chair. She was given a position that literally did nothing. She did it for about 6-weeks and quit because she got bored doodling and felt remorse for her waste of money.
    There are thousands of these stories a year and we can't **** to the right people because they are the people who live and create it.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • tonyb
    edited April 2014
    You are so right my man. I used to deal with local and state officials. Just your average city public works departments. They have a guy who gets paid a union wage with benefits and pension and all he does all day.....hands out rags. On jobsites in the building trades, you need a union operator who sits in the elevator and simply pushes buttons for your floor....at 40 bucks an hour with bennies and pension. Convention centers....you need a union electrician to plug in an extension cord or change a light bulb.

My cousin recently retired at the ripe old age of 50 from being a city electrician....even though he was never trained to be an electrician. Know what his job was ? He changed bulbs in street lights. Says he had a 4-5 man crew to do that too and they sat around and played cards most the day anyway. That warrants a 50k a year pension...from 50 years old ? Nah....we don't have a pension problem.
    We have a patronage problem.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    edited April 2014
    It's another typical day. Have they found 370 yet? No cus it ain't there. But they're getting really good practice working and cooperating with other countries while they're playing around in the water.
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    edited April 2014
    After reading the excrement that fills his head and now spills forth from his mouth, below, can we have a show of hands indicating how many of you still support this... gentleman?

“I want to tell you one more thing I know about the Negro,” Mr. Bundy said. He recalled driving past a public-housing project in North Las Vegas, “and in front of that government house the door was usually open and the older people and the kids — and there is always at least a half a dozen people sitting on the porch — they didn’t have nothing to do. They didn’t have nothing for their kids to do. They didn’t have nothing for their young girls to do.

“And because they were basically on government subsidy, so now what do they do?” he asked. “They abort their young children, they put their young men in jail, because they never learned how to pick cotton. And I’ve often wondered, are they better off as slaves, picking cotton and having a family life and doing things, or are they better off under government subsidy? They didn’t get no more freedom. They got less freedom.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/24/us/politics/rancher-proudly-breaks-the-law-becoming-a-hero-in-the-west.html?ref=us
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • tonyb
    edited April 2014
    I have a hard time believing anything in the NY times. The very last quote in that article someone states that if you let the Rancher get away with breaking the law, then everyone will.

Well, by the same token...if you have a government that doesn't follow the law, why should it's citizens ? If they can pick and choose which to follow and which not too, shouldn't we have that same right ? Or does it come down to who has the most guns to determine who's in the right ? I think government believes that, which is why they are arming many branches of government while trying to limit your arms.

Won't read that in the NY times.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,352
    edited April 2014
    When you don't like the message, shoot the messenger....

This is a classic diversion tactic, going back millennia. A guy comes forward with information that requires people to pay attention to what is happening, and rather than listen, someone will step forward to destroy the guy.

The messenger in this case may very well be a douchebag, but the message is crystal clear and obvious to all that will take their government issued blinders off. I don't need to support anyone personal beliefs or opinions when I can see what is happening for myself.

One step further... I will support anybody's right to say even the most outrageous things right in the middle of a crowded venue, not because I agree or even remotely condone what is being said. Rather, I would do so because I support our founding principles and our Constitution grants an individual or group the RIGHT to say whatever the hell they want. Supporting his right to say whatever he wants is not to be confused in any way with believing what he said....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,620
    edited April 2014
    When you don't like the message, shoot the messenger....
    This is a classic diversion tactic, going back millennia.

Bingo, dead on the money John.

Keep in mind that this is the sort of tactic used by the Powers Behind the Throne and is not confined to one party.
    It is usually a very effective (if underhanded) means to silence a threat or divert peoples attention away from the real issue.

A million examples could be given of this, but I'll just throw out the names Valerie Plame/Joseph C Wilson. Remember them ?
    Back in 2002(?), Mr Wilson had traveled to Niger to check out reports that Iraq was trying to buy yellowcake (uranium). He found no truth to the rumors and this is what he insisted on reporting despite great pressure from The Powers Behind the Throne .
    As a reward for his non-cooperation, it was "leaked" that his wife was a CIA operative.

Is Mr. Bundy a racist ? He might be. Is his opposition to the federal government's massive land grabs across the US understandable and justifiable ? My OPINION is, "Yes".
    Does one have anything to do with the other ? Nope.

Stretchl, a person may have clay feet but what I'm more interested in is a person's voice: what he has to say.
    Sal Palooza
  • tonyb
    edited April 2014
    A million examples could be given of this, but I'll just throw Is Mr. Bundy a racist ? He might be. Is his opposition to the federal government's massive land grabs across the US understandable and justifiable ? My OPINION is, "Yes"
    Does one have anything to do with the other ? Nope.

Cha-ching, you get the big fat cigar....or an E-cig of your choice. LOL

Yeah, apparently Mr. Bundy has a way about expressing himself that doesn't quit fit in with the PC world, racist or not. His point, poorly explained was that he wonders which plantation is worse, the private plantation or the government plantation ? Though I believe he just has a poor view of Blacks in general masking some racial views of his own. But...has nothing to do with the situation at hand but it will succeed in politicians putting space between they and him.

If you can't win an argument, change the subject and pull the race card. Sad thing is it works more times than not. Heck, Jesse and Al have made fortunes doing just that.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's